Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Dec 21, 2016 at 7:10 AM Post #16,846 of 22,946
I am thinking about getting the Shure SE846, but have a few questions which I am unable to find the answer to on this forum or on the web.
And while they're pretty expensive, I have to reconsider this a few times :wink:

Currently I am using the Sennheiser HD 25 which I have been using for years; I absolutely love the sound signature. But I want something new and more portable. The first Sennheiser Momentum (over ear) didn't really cut it for me. I haven't tried any higher end models than those unfortunately.
Will the SE846 be a huge step upwards or would the SE535 'wow' me as well? My source will mostly be my AK100ii and occasionally my iPhone 6s.

How does the passive sound isolation work? I'd like to use this for ear protection as well while drumming and band practice. So it's very important that the ambient volume is only lowered, but not distorted or muffled. They are to replace my current custom made pluggers, which unfortunately have died..

I have a little bit of tinnitus which is really only present when I focus on it. But with the IEM's playing music on a much lower volume due to the great sound isolation, would this be an issue of concern?

Dec 21, 2016 at 9:47 AM Post #16,847 of 22,946
I would never go running with the 846 for sweat reasons. If you're anything like me, you sweat profusely around your ears (you don't actually sweat in your ear canal). 
Earphones for sports with high IPX ratings exist for a reason. They have Gore membranes that are hydrophobic to keep water/sweat away from the drivers.

But... you know, if you don't mind risking a $900 earphone breaking due to sweat that's your call to make really :D 

Well, i do use Shure SE215 for running so not to sweat in mote precious IEM, but Shure themselfs say this isn'nt a problem, as the SE846 are heavily construted, and made to be used in a pretty hot stage environment with a lot of sweat. I'll post the link later, as i'm not at home.I was realy surprised at first reading this, but it does make some sense...

Dec 21, 2016 at 10:03 AM Post #16,848 of 22,946
I think the se846 is far ahead of any mid priced iem and full size headphones. However headphone preferences vary enormously between people and it is better to get somebody to let you test them if possible. Of course the isolation is high so obviously it will cut out mid and high frequencies more.
The are easy to drive and work well with just phones. The bass is much better than 535.

Dec 21, 2016 at 10:09 AM Post #16,849 of 22,946
Well, i do use Shure SE215 for running so not to sweat in mote precious IEM, but Shure themselfs say this isn'nt a problem, as the SE846 are heavily construted, and made to be used in a pretty hot stage environment with a lot of sweat. I'll post the link later, as i'm not at home.I was realy surprised at first reading this, but it does make some sense...

Thanks, I would be very interested in reading that! Basically I don't see anything in the construction that would stop sweat from getting in all the way to the BA's.

Dec 21, 2016 at 11:34 AM Post #16,850 of 22,946
The vast majority of iem failures i have suffered in a 10 year time span have happend in the gym (and sweat has been closely related).

Truth to be told Shure iems have been the exception to that rule. Where TDK and Westone iems suffered (sweat related) a permanent loss of sound pressure level on a given channel Shure iems never have so far. Knock on wood!

Anyway, i use a pair of SE215 in the gym. While working out (and suffering the temporary threshold shift associated to exercise practice) the use of SE846s is a huge overkill to me.

Tonally the SE215 are not far off from the SE846. So the switch is more painless than it might seem.

The SE215s are an awesome gym companion.

Dec 21, 2016 at 1:15 PM Post #16,851 of 22,946

thanks for the answer. BTW,any background hissing with e17? how would you compare the soundstage of the Shures with w40?
I've got them (se846) for a couple of days and they sound congested and too bloated with orchestral music with silicone tips and even spinfit tips, but a tad
better with foam ones (medium size).

Happy to contribute - I gave my e17 to my stepbrother (who uses cans) because I rarely felt it contributed much and, yes, I experienced occasional hissing (which seemed to come and go without any apparent reason). The battery life was somewhat less than advertised, too. I don't mean to bash it, since it's a respectable portable DAC, but fact is it wasn't getting much use.

Regarding the soundstage, I feel the 846's do have a better soundstage than the W40's, but only slightly. And both are handily beaten by the W60's - I have a tradition that the first movement of Beethoven's Piano Concert No. 4 is the very first thing I listen to with any new headphones, and the dramatic, expansive soundstage is the first thing I noticed once the orchestra came in. It has so far been in evidence in all music I've listened to, including rock.

Part of my somewhat lackluster soundstage experience with the 846's probably arose because of the "congestion", as you put very well, of orchestral sounds (which expose soundstage as well as anything). Like you I found the foam tips much superior to the others provided. As I alluded to in my original posts, I at first found the sound for classical excellent on the 846's since they were only my second experience with high-quality IEM's (and my first was Shure as well). In retrospect, with much more experience now, I completely agree your comments on the sound with orchestral music. Frankly with all classical they lacked the clarity and balance that, now, I would expect with any $1k IEM's I purchased. In other words there is a reason I didn't buy a new pair after my originals were destroyed. 

Dec 21, 2016 at 1:42 PM Post #16,852 of 22,946
  Couple questions:
(1) Does anyone have experience with running (anywhere from 3-10 miles) with the 846's?

I frequently ran and did interval training with the 846's and, at least with the foam tips, they always remained secure and the sound didn't suffer. In that respect they were excellent.

They never had issues with sweating - I was living in south Florida at the time so there was plenty of that going on inside and outside the gym :) . The foam tips do, however, need to be replaced from time to time since the combination of wear and sweat/wax eventually degrades them over time. But even with regular use they should last months.

Dec 21, 2016 at 4:07 PM Post #16,853 of 22,946
Couple questions:
(1) Does anyone have experience with running (anywhere from 3-10 miles) with the 846's?
(2) I know they are larger than most UIEM, but would they be horrendous to run with (previously owned W3)?
(3) Also, I currently own some re-shelled JH16 FP's, would you guys say 846 is more "fun" for electronic music/hip hop?

Thanks!

I workout also everyday with mine and I have had no problems.....I think these are my end game IEMs...get spin fit tips.....best tips I have ever used and you don't have to mess with the ridiculous foam tips

Dec 21, 2016 at 4:38 PM Post #16,854 of 22,946
  Thanks, I would be very interested in reading that! Basically I don't see anything in the construction that would stop sweat from getting in all the way to the BA's.

Here's the link:

http://blog.shure.com/the-making-of-the-se846-an-interview-with-sean-sullivan/

''

Built Like a Tank… That Fits in Your Ear

AW I personally tend to have a pair of cheaper earphones for working out and save my higher-end earphones for non-sweaty listening. I’d be scared to use nice shiny new SE846 earphones on one of my hardcore aerobic workouts, but I bet they’d really help me power through. I’d love to be convinced that my fears of damaging them are unfounded.

SS Your fears are unfounded! SE846 earphones stand up to our most intense quality standards. And, as part of the development team, I can say from an insider’s perspective that our quality standards are incredibly high. So, you can sweat on them at the gym without fear of damaging them. They’re designed to be used onstage in some of the most demanding environments. They’re built like tanks.''

Dec 21, 2016 at 6:19 PM Post #16,855 of 22,946
Has anybody ever encountered a fake SE846?
I recently lost my beloved SE846 clears and trying to find a cheaper solution to spending another 999 bucks I bought a pair of red SE846 on eBay for a very good price. I knew the risk of being fake especially for 499 dollars and red color (not aware of Shure making reds), but since you have the eBay and PayPal guarantee I bought them. Got them and tried them out. I think they are fake. Extremely good fakes, sound is extremely good but not completely the same as the real ones, workmanship is first class, they even used metal sound nozzles but do not have the notches so you can change the custom sound filters. It came with removable cables that actually seem better than the stock Shure cables. I complained and got my money back so nothing lost.
Any thoughts or advice?

Dec 21, 2016 at 6:26 PM Post #16,856 of 22,946
I recently lost my beloved SE846 clears and trying to find a cheaper solution to spending another 999 bucks I bought a pair of red SE846 on eBay for a very good price. I knew the risk of being fake especially for 499 dollars and red color (not aware of Shure making reds), but since you have the eBay and PayPal guarantee I bought them. Got them and tried them out. I think they are fake. Extremely good fakes, sound is extremely good but not completely the same as the real ones, workmanship is first class, they even used metal sound nozzles but do not have the notches so you can change the custom sound filters. It came with removable cables that actually seem better than the stock Shure cables. I complained and got my money back so nothing lost.
Any thoughts or advice?
There is fake everything.

The best advice about the SE846 is to make sure you get the clear version if you're remotely worried. You can't fake the 4 BA setup, and all the takes are opaque.

Also, there's no such thing as a free lunch. Why did you think you were getting half price SE846s?

Dec 21, 2016 at 9:33 PM Post #16,857 of 22,946
Any thoughts or advice?

Those are fake.....there is no red 846, only a red 535

Dec 21, 2016 at 10:06 PM Post #16,858 of 22,946
Easy to go to the Shure site and check. Clear, bronze, black, and blue. No red = no good
etysmile.gif

Dec 22, 2016 at 12:19 AM Post #16,859 of 22,946

I frequently ran and did interval training with the 846's and, at least with the foam tips, they always remained secure and the sound didn't suffer. In that respect they were excellent.

They never had issues with sweating - I was living in south Florida at the time so there was plenty of that going on inside and outside the gym :) . The foam tips do, however, need to be replaced from time to time since the combination of wear and sweat/wax eventually degrades them over time. But even with regular use they should last months.

Thanks for the info! Do you find that the ear pieces themselves are too bulky or have you gotten used to them pretty quickly?

Dec 22, 2016 at 3:27 AM Post #16,860 of 22,946
Just in a few weeks i have stumbled upon fake Shure SE535s and Shure SE215s. And i know that SE846s knock offs are out in the wild as well.

I would advise no to buy Shure stuff w/o proof of purchase from an authorized dealer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back