Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Dec 16, 2016 at 2:16 AM Post #16,803 of 22,945
Limu Shirin: Only the black filter would yield a dark sound (to which my hearing is biased I must admit). As for "congested," you have a slight point. But this is negated and opened up markedly with an ALO or Ted Allan / HeadphoneLounge cable.

Dec 16, 2016 at 2:40 AM Post #16,804 of 22,945
Hi there! Fancy seeing you here.
smile.gif
I hope you're enjoying that DAVE/Utopia pairing.

indeed xD made me set for Neutral setups, and now was looking to get into the fun IEMs with slight coloration :p for mood swings ^^

decided to go with SE846 after researching and asking here and there xD will try to pair it with Hydra 18 cable sometime later.  

Dec 16, 2016 at 3:29 AM Post #16,806 of 22,945
Limu Shirin: Only the black filter would yield a dark sound (to which my hearing is biased I must admit). As for "congested," you have a slight point. But this is negated and opened up markedly with an ALO or Ted Allan / HeadphoneLounge cable.

I just tried them again with the foam tips (black ones) and they sounded warm-neutral-laidback wich is what
I prefer. But with the stock silicon tips they sound horrible, I still don't have the spinfit tips so can't say anything
about that.

Wrong!

Head'n'HiFi Walter is based in Switzerland and ships the EU orders from Germany.

Thanks for the heads-up, didn't know that, BTW, which custom gain should I order?
I reckon 1.0x or sth else?

Dec 16, 2016 at 3:36 AM Post #16,807 of 22,945

Thanks for the heads-up, didn't know that, BTW, which custom gain should I order?
I reckon 1.0x or sth else?

I'd recommend 1x at most for the lower of the two gain settings. Frankly, if you ask them, they might even be able to implement a negative gain that I think is better suited for a very sensitive IEM such as the SE846, as it gives you the more precise volume control range with IEMs.

Dec 16, 2016 at 3:40 AM Post #16,808 of 22,945

I'd recommend 1x at most for the lower of the two gain settings. Frankly, if you ask them, they might even be able to implement a negative gain that I think is better suited for a very sensitive IEM such as the SE846, as it gives you the more precise volume control range with IEMs.

Yeah, what he said. I have the 1x/2.5x version. Works great with the HA-2 and even Mojo (no benefit to using O2 with Mojo though...).

Dec 16, 2016 at 8:46 AM Post #16,809 of 22,945
indeed xD made me set for Neutral setups, and now was looking to get into the fun IEMs with slight coloration :p for mood swings ^^

decided to go with SE846 after researching and asking here and there xD will try to pair it with Hydra 18 cable sometime later.  

I have been using the 846 for a couple years now. You'll enjoy it. I use it with Beat Audio Silver Sonic MKV balanced cable with the Sony PHA-3 and single-ended with an adapter with the Oppo HA-2/SE.

Dec 16, 2016 at 9:17 AM Post #16,810 of 22,945
I get no hiss from hugo, and am listening right now to iphone7 plus 256 gig no hiss and surprising good sound through the dongle. Sure it aint no hugo but in a pinch who needs a dac amp? All you need is 846 and a dhc 8 braid cable. Looks like new year till i receive kaiser encore for the iem off.

Dec 16, 2016 at 7:26 PM Post #16,812 of 22,945
Im using fiio x7 with am5 module and paired with mojo. Sound is warm no hiss noted!soundstage improved as well!

Help - I'm so confused! :) The mojo is a DAC/amp combo only. So, to be using this with the X7, you must be by-passing the am5 completely. Do you mean to say that the "no hiss/improved soundstage" comes about from using the X7 only as a transport, and not using the am5 at all? That seems kind of a waste of a good X7 :frowning2:

I used to own a mojo. (Past tense.) Please don't hate me mojo fans, but I wasn't terribly impressed with it. I get a very low noise floor from am2 direct to my SE846, and a perfectly black background feeding the X7 LO into my KSE1500. In neither case, did I find the mojo added anything but a $550 brick into the equation. I'd be interested to hear the experience of other X7/mojo users. If you find the mojo makes an improvement, which X7 amp module and headphones are you comparing against?

Dec 16, 2016 at 8:23 PM Post #16,813 of 22,945

Help - I'm so confused! :) The mojo is a DAC/amp combo only. So, to be using this with the X7, you must be by-passing the am5 completely. Do you mean to say that the "no hiss/improved soundstage" comes about from using the X7 only as a transport, and not using the am5 at all? That seems kind of a waste of a good X7 :frowning2:

I used to own a mojo. (Past tense.) Please don't hate me mojo fans, but I wasn't terribly impressed with it. I get a very low noise floor from am2 direct to my SE846, and a perfectly black background feeding the X7 LO into my KSE1500. In neither case, did I find the mojo added anything but a $550 brick into the equation. I'd be interested to hear the experience of other X7/mojo users. If you find the mojo makes an improvement, which X7 amp module and headphones are you comparing against?

*Hands csglinux Flak Jacket...lol

Dec 16, 2016 at 8:50 PM Post #16,814 of 22,945
*Hands csglinux Flak Jacket...lol

Thanks for the flak jacket buddy :)

But in the name of science, I have to stick my head out of the trench here and figure out what's going on. Maybe there are headphones for which the Mojo does better than any existing X7 amp, but the combination of SE846 and am5 strikes me as odd. Am5 is the high-power unit for hard-to-drive, high-impedance cans. Most amps like that will have a notable noise floor with the SE846. There are much more suitable X7 amps to pair with the SE846. (BTW, the DAC on the X7 is very good.)

Dec 16, 2016 at 10:31 PM Post #16,815 of 22,945
After almost two years with the SE846, I finally understand why they are the perfect IEM for me.   Decades ago, uncomfortably loud music in a friend's car got my ear ringing for days and left me paranoid about my hearing ever since - i like music too much!  I’ve always been rather sensitive to loud music and exposure to even moderately loud volumes causes ringing (most movie theaters are too loud for me!).  What does any of this have to do with the Shures?  Simply put, the wonderful bottom end of the 846, intimate soundstage and upfront vocals allows me to enjoy the music without cranking up the volume.  On the Mojo, I typically go up 4 clicks from zero (rarely over 6) and still find the music immersive, engaging and punchy.  Similarly low volumes seem distant, insipid and lacking weight on other IEMs and headphones, which need to be cranked up much higher to be enjoyable, so i keep coming back to the Shures. This may seem excessively paranoid, but I listen to music many hours a day (occasionally falling asleep with it playing) and hope to continue to enjoy the good stuff for years to come so Kudos to Shure for the brilliant tuning and for helping preserve my hearing!  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back