Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Dec 13, 2016 at 5:56 PM Post #16,786 of 22,945
What was the output impedance of what you're listening to? Should be under 0.5 ohms.

I listen out of my HA-2 with the Shure volume control, noise floor can be controlled to some degree.
I have just ordered these fitspin eartips:
https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B01B696D04/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B01B68Z1FS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
they come in a week, hope these help. Otherwise I'll be in trouble, since I can't send these back beacause of hygine reasons.

Dec 13, 2016 at 11:17 PM Post #16,787 of 22,945

I don't believe I'm hugely biased toward a brand or another. I have a slight preference for Etymotic type of sound, but I can cope with many other signatures, from the warm Westone UM Pro 30 to the bassy IE80. However I used to own the SE420, 425, 535, I also got my hands on the SE846 for a few days, but I never got used to the Shure house sound no matter how hard I tried. There's something in the overall tonality that puts me off. Not saying that Shure is bad by any mean, just not my thing. 

About eglobalcenter.com, I've always been skeptical about their website. It looks like one of a huge discount megastore. I also doubt they're official Shure retailers. Not to say that their SE846 aren't genuine, since it's very unlikely, but I would be cautious doing business with them.

Yes, Shure SE846 got some use to it and gear matching. But it all good by the end. They need a good pair of copper/warm cables

Dec 14, 2016 at 1:00 AM Post #16,788 of 22,945
I listen out of my HA-2 with the Shure volume control, noise floor can be controlled to some degree.

You really shouldn't use that volume control adapter as it is just a very basic variable resistor that will mess with the SE846's frequency response because of the added impedance. As a result, you will get more bass, more warmth, more thickness in the lower mids and an even more prominent dip in the middle highs.

A buffer circuit to reduce the sensitivity and hiss would be much better than the variable resistor. The ifi iEMatch for example has got a buffer circuit and will only add slight impedance to the system, hence it'll mess with the FR much less.

Dec 14, 2016 at 11:29 PM Post #16,789 of 22,945
I really like the SE846 paired with the Westone BT Cable. My thoughts on the pairing, if interested, is located in my CanJam London thread, here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/819477/canjam-london-2016-experience-and-multi-product-reviews.

Dec 15, 2016 at 12:47 AM Post #16,790 of 22,945
Hey guys i used to have SE535 LTD-J , i loved the "boosted" mids / "in your face" Vocals a lot.

now i am deciding between TG334 and SE846.

which one have more "intimate/ in your face" Female Vocal presentation? 

could we say that the TG334 is Slightly less Forward? yet with warmer and smoother mids? 

i was searching for days and came across few who said that the TG334 is more "intimate" than SE846, yet i don't know if "intimate" refers to mids being forward or something.

Thanks again. 

Dec 15, 2016 at 7:35 PM Post #16,792 of 22,945
Hey guys i used to have SE535 LTD-J , i loved the "boosted" mids / "in your face" Vocals a lot.

could we say that the TG334 is Slightly less Forward? yet with warmer and smoother mids? 

i was searching for days and came across few who said that the TG334 is more "intimate" than SE846, yet i don't know if "intimate" refers to mids being forward or something.

Thanks again. 

Hi there! Fancy seeing you here. :smile: I hope you're enjoying that DAVE/Utopia pairing.

Anyway, I haven't heard the TG334 but generally when people talk about an intimate presentation, they are referring to a small sound stage. The 846 has wonderful mids and bass, but isn't as good in the highs. It's warm, if you will. If hat sounds like the signature you're after, then these are your IEMs.

BTW, you'll be blown away by the bass response.

Dec 15, 2016 at 9:23 PM Post #16,793 of 22,945

Thanks again. 

Haven't heard the TG334 either, but the 846 definitely has what can be described as an intimate soundstage with lush vocals, amazing bass, and a somewhat laid back sound.  This is not to say that treble is lacking; it extends fairly well, especially when paired with Spinfit tips and the white filters.  Keep in mind that the nominal impedance of 9 ohms with a low of 4 ohms makes the 846 somewhat sensitive to the upstream connection   - pair it up with a low output impedance source like a Chord Mojo and you will be suitably rewarded!  

Dec 15, 2016 at 9:58 PM Post #16,794 of 22,945
  Hey guys,
just got my SE846 from eglobalcentral, came without the clear hard-case and with only one year warranty.
the thing is, even after changing to white nozzles/filters, it sounds very dark and congested.
no break in though, but you guys think my unit is faulty?/FAKE?
Thanks

Can't speak to the authenticity of the product, but give your ears some time to adjust.  My appreciation of the 846 grows by the day, and the more high-end gear i hear, the more i like them! Just make sure you're using a low output impedance source and experiment with different tips (Spinfits seem to best preserve the treble for me).  

Dec 15, 2016 at 10:08 PM Post #16,795 of 22,945

Can't speak to the authenticity of the product, but give your ears some time to adjust.  My appreciation of the 846 grows by the day, and the more high-end gear i hear, the more i like them! Just make sure you're using a low output impedance source and experiment with different tips (Spinfits seem to best preserve the treble for me).  

spinfits are on the way...but about the source/amp I'm struggling, any suggestions?

Dec 15, 2016 at 10:19 PM Post #16,796 of 22,945

The 846 pairs up nicely with a Chord Mojo (output impedance .075 ohms!!!!).  While some measurements suggest that the Mojo's output impedance rises with multi BA loads resulting in a loss in treble when paired up with the 846, this is not something i can hear. The 846 does surprisingly well with the $9 iphone DAC cable (<.5ohms output impedance). 

Dec 15, 2016 at 10:25 PM Post #16,797 of 22,945

The 846 pairs up nicely with a Chord Mojo (output impedance .075 ohms!!!!).  While some measurements suggest that the Mojo's output impedance rises with multi BA loads resulting in a loss in treble when paired up with the 846, this is not something i can hear. The 846 does surprisingly well with the $9 iphone DAC cable (<.5ohms output impedance). 

something cheaper and desktop maybe? already got the HA-2 and hisses a lot
I also need a dac any way, so looing for 2 birds with 1 stone

Dec 15, 2016 at 10:42 PM Post #16,798 of 22,945
  something cheaper and desktop maybe? already got the HA-2 and hisses a lot
I also need a dac any way, so looing for 2 birds with 1 stone

I was also annoyed by the hiss in the HA-2. What I did was buy a JB Labs O2 amp in 0dB gain configuration. 

Conclusion: ZERO hiss, notable improvement in detail as well, most likely due to lower output impedance than HA-2. I still use the HA-2 but only on the go connected to my phone. The hiss noise doesn't bother me on the go as the outside noise covers it largely.

Dec 15, 2016 at 10:49 PM Post #16,799 of 22,945
  I was also annoyed by the hiss in the HA-2. What I did was buy a JB Labs O2 amp in 0dB gain configuration. 

Conclusion: ZERO hiss, notable improvement in detail as well, most likely due to lower output impedance than HA-2. I still use the HA-2 but only on the go connected to my phone. The hiss noise doesn't bother me on the go as the outside noise covers it largely.

thanks for the informations. unfortunetaly O2 stuff must be imported and are not sold in europe,
haye you tried them with any other desktop/portable dac/amp?

Dec 15, 2016 at 10:56 PM Post #16,800 of 22,945

thanks for the informations. unfortunetaly O2 stuff must be imported and are not sold in europe,
haye you tried them with any other desktop/portable dac/amp?

Yup, I use the MOJO as my desktop setup now. I can steal hear faint hiss, but it's really really tiny.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back