Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Dec 3, 2016 at 10:29 PM Post #16,756 of 22,945
^ Hi Chief Stringer,

I personally can't compare the 8's to the Sennheiser HD25s, however my journey thus far has taken in stops at the Sennheiser IE8 and IE800. So I think I'm at least halfway qualified to assist, being well versed in the Sennheiser sound.

You're looking at balanced armatures vs dynamic, and for reasons once best known to me I once dismissed balanced armature sound. Certaiy not now.

The IE8s' flagship feature was of course its bass. Put it this way, when pitted against the Shures, it's like Nottingham Forest vs Manchester City. Which is saying something. The IE8s' bass was big and impactful but it only went so far.

Hip hop; "proper" London/Bristol dubstep (think Mala, Distance, Kahn & Neek); dance music (be it Carl Craig, John 00 Fleming or My New Leng) and the like commands not only great mids but also sub bass (the IE8s fell down big on producing sub-bass). The Shure SE846s give you both and then some!

Electronic music and hip hop are genres the 8's really shine with (we call the 846s 8's round these parts and yes an apostrophe is appropriate when pluralising single letters/numbers :) ). But they're agile in all areas because of their well-rounded midrange (from upper to lower).

You can also tweak the sound to your liking with the three included filters. More if you include modifications thereof, or going full afterburner (filterless - not recommended if your ears are super sensitive to treble as mine are). I'd even go as far to say the black filters are the best bet as their warm sound lends itself well to certain dance music, particularly the dark stuff I love.

I say go for it man! You won't be disappointed.

Dec 3, 2016 at 10:56 PM Post #16,757 of 22,945
Thanks for the reply bud, funnily enough My Nu Leng are my favourite group atm :) I listen to other dudes from Bristol too like Ronnie Size, Massive Attack for example.

Its very tempting now haha, so say if i wanted to add to the bass with the bass swtich on my fiio (that mainly increases midbass) would you say the 8s would get the boost without sounding too weird? (probably wont need it, but its reassuring)

Dec 4, 2016 at 1:42 AM Post #16,758 of 22,945
^ I use the volume restrictor when playing music through my iDevices.

I must say fatigue is less of an issue with this new cable. (The Y-splitter may have chequers by the way, it's really hard to tell with my vision impairment).

I have used that before, mainly to control the hissing noise though.

I definitely experience the black filters as less "punchy" with a softer, mellower sound, so give those a try if you haven't lately.

To me, the experience of stereo separation is also enhanced by the black filters.

I usually like the "punchy" bass of the blue filters, but I indulge myself with the black filters every few weeks.

Terry

The black filters without the foams have tamed the peaks a little and sound is slightly mellow as you have said. Thanks for the suggestion.

Let's hope not, because there is a condition where (through age/abuse) your eardrums become less able to protect against loud noise peaks, which results in a sensitivity to sound: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperacusis

I suspect there are many headfiers that exceed the WHO's daily recommended guidelines for safe listening: http://www.who.int/pbd/deafness/activities/MLS/en/

Your eardrums might need a rest for a while. Remember, your ears are worth more than any IEM - even more than the SE846 :)

You are right. I have been listening to loud volumes during my younger days. Then discovered that I cannot hear soft voices in open environment. Then on my shure, the listening volume is and the about 50% on my Note 5 while straining my ears to listen to details.
Maybe I was tired from straining my ears too much. Now whenever I feel tired listening at a certain volume,I will lower the volumes and stop straining my ears on details.

Dec 4, 2016 at 2:13 AM Post #16,759 of 22,945
Pleasure, Chief Stringer :)

As I wasn't sure what sort of electronic music you''re in to (I assumed not EDM as you would've said haha) I only guessed. What a coincidence. :p The bass when listening to My New Leng is chuffing massive! Have a listen to FabricLive 80 (I think?) mixed by Monki and FourTet's entry into the series too for some more mad bass action.

I've auditioned FiiO's amps along with others, all at varying price points, and came away feeling they added nothing. The 8's are persnickety with the source they are put through. I've yet to audition the Mojo, it runs well through an iPhone 6S, but feel an upgraded cable is the first port of call when pimping the 8's.

Dec 4, 2016 at 7:49 AM Post #16,760 of 22,945
  Can anyone compare the sound sig and overall performance to the Sennheiser HD25s?

I have got the Sennheiser Amperior which should be quite similar to the HD 25.

The midrange and treble of the Amperior and SE846 are quite comparable overall, although the Shure's mids are somewhat lusher and thicker.
Both are quite different in the bass - the Amperior's bottom-end emphasis concentrates mainly on the upper bass, giving it a punchy sound, however it's got less sub-bass and midbass. The SE846 on the other hand has got an emphasis that is mainly in the true sub-bass, with definitely not as much quantity in the midbass and upper bass.

The Amperior doesn't really have something that could be considered as soundstage whereas the Shure does.

Resolution-wise, the SE846 is quite a noticeable step forward.

Dec 4, 2016 at 11:20 PM Post #16,761 of 22,945
Astell & Kern AK Jr, 70 or even 300 - yes or no?

I'm auditioning the Jr and finding vocals, some instruments sound a little digital and echoey.

I've also auditioned the Chord Mojo, perhaps the most worthy addition to any rig, but bloody nora its portability (or lack thereof) is a dealbreaker.

Dec 6, 2016 at 2:58 PM Post #16,764 of 22,945
  I would like to report my SE846 sound better than HD800 out of the headphone out of McIntosh D150 DAC. Surprise, is dead quite with the IEM!

Hd800S smokes 846 in my system comparison Chord TT to GSX mk2 to hd800S vs chord hugo to 846. But I view it as an unfamiliar comparison. I will agree that 846 has a similar mid centric ability like hd800S. But ymmv and imo and all that.

Just for those old timers out there who may still lurk this thread. I ordered kaiser encore and DHC type 4 litz 8 braid. So will have a new noble versus 846 off in the near future. Black friday lured me in. 

Dec 6, 2016 at 3:15 PM Post #16,766 of 22,945
Black F day absolutely killedmy wallet. I end up with A D150, ALO CDM, and a thousand dollar bill from anti cable

2300$ for myself, but think of all those savings :blink:

Dec 6, 2016 at 4:00 PM Post #16,767 of 22,945
Hi to all from Dubai!
Been reading and learning a lot (thnx everyone), finally writing something..

My big current dilemma:
a) Shure SE846 + Shure SHA900 ?
b) Shure SE846 + Chord Mojo ?

I'm leaning towards the Mojo (I tried it with my Audeze Sine, and I loved it.. will soon try it with the SE846 ) but I'm afraid the SHA900 is a better match for the SE846. The only problem is I can barely find any review of the SHA900 and I cannot find a single piece in Dubai to try it out by myself.
Anyone tried the SHA900 with the SE846?

Currently using iPhone 7 (256GB) + HibyMusic (phenomenal, try it while it is still free on the App Store!) + Lightning to 3.5 mm Headphone Jack Adapter + SE846

Dec 6, 2016 at 5:56 PM Post #16,768 of 22,945
2300$ for myself, but think of all those savings
blink.gif

I think you treat yourself pretty well. It IS the holiday season after all... 
smile.gif

Dec 6, 2016 at 11:57 PM Post #16,769 of 22,945
Free ear impressions will be done at Jaben Audio Melbourne tomorrow night!

As well as drinking BrewDog Chili Hammer, life couldn't be any sweeter at this end right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back