Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Nov 28, 2016 at 4:40 PM Post #16,726 of 22,945
Nov 28, 2016 at 5:55 PM Post #16,727 of 22,945
Has anyone taken the foam out of the black filters?

Nov 29, 2016 at 11:03 AM Post #16,728 of 22,945
Hello,
I would like to have some advices about a third party cable for my se846.
It should have a 2.5mm TRRS connector (I haven't found any good angled connector of this type).
This cable shoud preserve and amplify se846 audio qualities in particular not lowering sub-bass extension.
I'm searching a comfortable cable, with no microphonics effects and good flexibility for outdoor use.
I don't know if 8 wires design is useful. Good silver cables can have good bass extension  or should I buy copper cables ?
I know that MMCX connectors have to be carefully selected, in order to offer a tight and secure fit, so Eidolic ones are OK ?
I searched a lot and I've narrowed my choice on those cables :
- Norne Audio Therium (4 wires if it's sufficient),
- DHC Symbiote SP OCC V3 (seems to be the top but wait time is too long !),
- Linum SuperBAX but it's unavailable,
- Toxic Hydra 22 (maybe too stiff ?).
Thanks a lot for any information.

Nov 29, 2016 at 11:17 AM Post #16,729 of 22,945
your research is done. you could add teds cables and pure cables. If you want the best, you have identified it in your list.

Nov 29, 2016 at 5:32 PM Post #16,731 of 22,945

Thanks for you confirmation. I think I will order a Norne Cable if the wait time is not too long, because DHC is too slow and Hydra maybe too stiff.
I will check Pure cables before.

If you can swing the extra...get the Silvergarde instead of the Therium if you go with Norne. If you were in the states, I would have offered my Ref Silver Litz from Ted at a good deal. Just because somebody will charge you twice as much and make you wait four times as long, doesn't mean the product is better than what else is available. We're all cult followers in here...lol

Nov 29, 2016 at 6:59 PM Post #16,732 of 22,945
Nov 30, 2016 at 12:29 AM Post #16,733 of 22,945
  If you can swing the extra...get the Silvergarde instead of the Therium if you go with Norne. If you were in the states, I would have offered my Ref Silver Litz from Ted at a good deal. Just because somebody will charge you twice as much and make you wait four times as long, doesn't mean the product is better than what else is available. We're all cult followers in here...lol

Thanks for your answer. The Silvergarde is not too stiff, because it's a 21AWG ?

Nov 30, 2016 at 10:31 AM Post #16,734 of 22,945
  Thanks for your answer. The Silvergarde is not too stiff, because it's a 21AWG ?

It's stiffer than the Therium (I have both) for sure. There is no doubt the 4 wire Therium will be more supple than the Silvergarde. 8 wire Therium and Silvergarde aren't in my opinion "a lot" different in regards to flexibility, but I never try to wrap either tight enough to fit in my pocket. That's mainly because I have other cables that I can do that with. The picture below is about as tight of a coil that I store the Norne's, because that's the size of the pouches they arrived in. The stock Litz that came with my Andromeda's (Campfire Audio / ALO Audio) is my goto travel cable...mainly because it's good quality but more so because I wouldn't have a heart attack if I was to damage it.

Nov 30, 2016 at 11:41 AM Post #16,736 of 22,945
Thanks a lot for your clear answer ! I think that the Therium 4 wires should be the best choice for travel cable. The SE846 OEM cable is too stiff for me.

Or you can order the revised version of Silvergarde with cotton core. The cable will be a bit smaller in size and not as stiff as the current carbon core version. At least that's what Trevor told me. I just ordered one :)

Nov 30, 2016 at 2:11 PM Post #16,737 of 22,945
After a considerable amount of tip rolling, IMO nothing comes close to the comfort, isolation, and improved sound of the SE846 with Comply P-Series tips (http://www.complyfoam.com/products/p-series/) or Comply Original Canal tips (http://www.complyfoam.com/products/canal-canal-tips/). I've confirmed with Comply that they're the exact same tip, just marketed to different targets.

They have a plastic channel that goes through the entire tip length, so there's none of this rolled off treble monkey business. I've had good experiences with all filters, but I currently use the black ones. I'm not a shill, but if Comply wants to send me free tips I'll be fine with that.

I think everyone here should at least try a set, regardless of their opinions to Comply. These perform significantly better than any other of their tips, and for god's sake I've tried them all.

Nov 30, 2016 at 4:31 PM Post #16,738 of 22,945
Or you can order the revised version of Silvergarde with cotton core. The cable will be a bit smaller in size and not as stiff as the current carbon core version. At least that's what Trevor told me. I just ordered one
smily_headphones1.gif

Hello,
Trevor told me the same thing and I ordered one too... Hope it will come fast, maybe for Christmas ?

Nov 30, 2016 at 6:38 PM Post #16,739 of 22,945
Hello,
Trevor told me the same thing and I ordered one too... Hope it will come fast, maybe for Christmas ?

Hope so. But I don't think it will happen, my order for last year's black friday sale took a while to be shipped. I think I got my therium around mid-Jan.

Nov 30, 2016 at 6:45 PM Post #16,740 of 22,945
Hello,

Hope so. But I don't think it will happen, my order for last year's black friday sale took a while to be shipped. I think I got my therium around mid-Jan.

I orderd double helix occ type 4 litz 8 braid on blk friday lucky if i get it next april. But the quality both sq and feel is top notch.
Also picked up the noble encore, give a heads up after i receive

Users who are viewing this thread

Back