Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Nov 11, 2016 at 5:27 PM Post #16,651 of 22,945
  Any reviews on Westone MMCX Bluetooth cable?  iPhone 7 ->  Westone MMCX Bluetooth Cable -> Shure SE 846. How's the quality with Spotify music vs Apple music? since they use different encoding.

It's ok. But you'd better be prepared for a fairly substantial noise floor with the SE846. The sensitivity of the SE846 also means the volume up/down beep on 78548 unit can be incredibly loud and annoying.  If you put anything (like your body) in between the 78548 and your phone, get ready to tolerate those fun BT dropouts. It really doesn't do justice to the SE846.

Nov 12, 2016 at 12:05 AM Post #16,653 of 22,945
Any other good bluetooth cable for SE846 that is better than [COLOR=FF4400]Westone MMCX Bluetooth cable[/COLOR]? Primary use is with iphone 7. Lightning to 3.5 mm dongle is small but annoying.

Using an SE846 over Bluetooth seems wrong. Apparently Shure are working on a lightning/MMCX cable...

http://www.head-fi.org/t/819659/shure-iems-with-iphone-7-7-plus

Nov 12, 2016 at 12:07 AM Post #16,654 of 22,945
Any other good bluetooth cable for SE846 that is better than [COLOR=FF4400]Westone MMCX Bluetooth cable[/COLOR]? Primary use is with iphone 7. Lightning to 3.5 mm dongle is small but annoying.

You're so much better off with that dongle. It has a slightly reduced dynamic range, but at least it has a low output impedance. Any BT adapter will give a noticeable degradation in quality. That makes little sense with a high-quality phone like the SE846. This would be like buying an Aston Martin and retro-fitting it with a Prius engine :D

Nov 12, 2016 at 12:17 AM Post #16,656 of 22,945
You're so much better off with that dongle. It has a slightly reduced dynamic range, but at least it has a low output impedance. Any BT adapter will give a noticeable degradation in quality. That makes little sense with a high-quality phone like the SE846. This would be like buying an Aston Martin and retro-fitting it with a Prius engine
biggrin.gif

:). ty. About time to create high quality encoding or low power wireless data connection. I think future would be free of all ports. 

Nov 12, 2016 at 12:18 AM Post #16,657 of 22,945
Hmmm... Page 1111 on 11/11.... :)

Nov 12, 2016 at 12:46 PM Post #16,661 of 22,945
After a long full year of usage, btw they sounded pristine and excellent! however i'm starting to notice tiny blots appearing on my clear cable (the tips of jack, and the connecting part). does anyone share the same problem as I have?

Nov 12, 2016 at 12:57 PM Post #16,662 of 22,945
hugo seems right on

To me Hugo sounds quite harsh but that is only from a very short listening session when the SE846 was just bought. I only listened to it with the Hugo for a little while last year. Recently I just changed to balanced cables and found out that the Hugo does not have balanced output. Lol, I guess that can wait.

After a long full year of usage, btw they sounded pristine and excellent! however i'm starting to notice tiny blots appearing on my clear cable (the tips of jack, and the connecting part). does anyone share the same problem as I have?

Not on my end, the cables do however turned yellowish. Mine is the clear version by the way.

Nov 12, 2016 at 1:07 PM Post #16,663 of 22,945
hugo seems right on

To me Hugo sounds quite harsh but that is only from a very short listening session when the SE846 was just bought. I only listened to it with the Hugo for a little while last year. Recently I just changed to balanced cables and found out that the Hugo does not have balanced output. Lol, I guess that can wait.

Not on my end, the cables do however turned yellowish. Mine is the clear version by the way.

Nearly three years Hugo> double helix fusion 8 braid > 846 blue filter unmoded.

Harsh? Not at all. Transparent and probably one of the best dac amp portables on the market. Tight kicking bass, good mid representation, possibly a slight analogue hue. Granted I find blue filter satisfactory but other Hugo owners go white but I found that a bit too much. Granted it's all personal perspective but i endorse any equipment in my signiture.

Nov 12, 2016 at 1:14 PM Post #16,664 of 22,945
Nearly three years Hugo> double helix fusion 8 braid > 846 blue filter unmoded.

Harsh? Not at all. Transparent and probably one of the best dac amp portables on the market. Tight kicking bass, good mid representation, possibly a slight analogue hue. Granted I find blue filter satisfactory but other Hugo owners go white but I found that a bit too much. Granted it's all personal perspective but i endorse any equipment in my signiture.

I really do need to pair them again and give them a good listen. I really like the Black filters but I recently switched to the Blues again. I'm waiting for my 2.5mm to 3.5mm cable that I ordered to be done so that I can pair it up again with the Hugo.

Nov 12, 2016 at 1:21 PM Post #16,665 of 22,945
Fpga, taps, digital volume and flip flops is unique archetecture in that the conversion is quite accurate and detailed in chord products. This can come across favorably or unfavourably depending on past exposure and preference. If one is used to chip and r2r schematic, the distortion you hear may be interpreted as warm and favourable in comparison. But yes you need a quiet environment and some time to test Hugo. The quality cable also very important for my listening pleasure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back