Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Nov 7, 2016 at 7:05 AM Post #16,621 of 22,945
Given that Apple's dongle has a Zout of 0'33 ohms, FR wise it drives better the SE846 than the Mojo.

May be somebody can ask Rob what is the Mojo's output impedance...

The output impedance of the Mojo is listed at 0.075 Ohms. A little better than the Apple dongle. :wink_face:

Nov 7, 2016 at 7:05 AM Post #16,622 of 22,945
Given that Apple's dongle has a Zout of 0'33 ohms, FR wise it drives better the SE846 than the Mojo.

May be somebody can ask Rob what is the Mojo's output impedance...

Both Hugo and mojo are at .5 ohm recommended 4ohm and up hp. 846 is at 8 ohms so both are good from that perspective. Again it seems that Hugo may be a better synergy with 846, it is for me anyways.

Nov 7, 2016 at 7:06 AM Post #16,623 of 22,945
Both Hugo and mojo are at .5 ohm recommended 4ohm and up hp. 846 is at 8 ohms so both are good from that perspective. Again it seems that Hugo may be a better synergy with 846, it is for me anyways.

0.075 Ohm for Mojo and Hugo as well.

Mojo:
http://chordelectronics.co.uk/mojo/

Hugo:
http://chordelectronics.co.uk/products-info.asp?id=92

Nov 7, 2016 at 7:11 AM Post #16,624 of 22,945
Sorry .075 for Hugo as well. I took the recomendation of 4 ohm and divided by 8....

Nov 7, 2016 at 7:17 AM Post #16,625 of 22,945
The output impedance of the Mojo is listed at 0.075 Ohms. A little better than the Apple dongle.
wink_face.gif

That does not match the fr of the TF10s when driven by the Mojo...either the graph or the stated Zout must be wrong here.

FTR the *8 rule is useless for balanced armature drivers. It's for dynamic stuff.

Nov 7, 2016 at 7:21 AM Post #16,626 of 22,945

The output impedance of the Mojo is listed at 0.075 Ohms. A little better than the Apple dongle.
wink_face.gif

That does not match the fr of the TF10s when driven by the Mojo...either the graph or the stated Zout must be wrong here.

According to the test of the Mojo at http://www.hifinews.co.uk/ (unfortunately only in printed form and not online), it is 0.x (don't remember the exact value) to 2 Ohms. This would indicate that the Mojo's output impedance increases slightly in the highs.

I don't think my graph is that off, as some other members could back it up with some other multi-driver IEMs.

Nov 7, 2016 at 7:27 AM Post #16,627 of 22,945
Ok, I'll go with what the designer says and you go with your measurements. In the end if a user likes it or dislikes it then they can go with what ever they prefer to back it up. I see no reason for Chord to bend the truth, and 0.075 Ohms is a far cry from 2 Ohms. I doubt that's the actual case with the difference in the upper frequencies, but I can't tell for sure as there is obviously a discrepancy between what Rob measures and others. I'll leave this conversation.

Nov 7, 2016 at 8:26 AM Post #16,629 of 22,945
Ok, I'll go with what the designer says and you go with your measurements. In the end if a user likes it or dislikes it then they can go with what ever they prefer to back it up. I see no reason for Chord to bend the truth, and 0.075 Ohms is a far cry from 2 Ohms. I doubt that's the actual case with the difference in the upper frequencies, but I can't tell for sure as there is obviously a discrepancy between what Rob measures and others. I'll leave this conversation.

Mate, no need to feel offended. It's clear there's something odd going on in the high end. Capturing output impedance is actually not so straightforward. The impedance of both the Mojo and the Shure are so low that any additional impedance (E.g.cables) can seriously change the results.

I'll see what I can come up with in a couple weeks once I have the APx525 up and running.

Nov 7, 2016 at 8:33 AM Post #16,630 of 22,945
Mate, no need to feel offended. It's clear there's something odd going on in the high end. Capturing output impedance is actually not so straightforward. The impedance of both the Mojo and the Shure are so low that any additional impedance (E.g.cables) can seriously change the results.

I'll see what I can come up with in a couple weeks once I have the APx525 up and running.

No, you're mistaken, I'm not offended at all. I saw a discrepancy and was curious so I asked Rob about it. He replied and I shared his response and my views. I just have nothing left to add so I'm respectfully bowing out of the conversation.

:)

Nov 8, 2016 at 1:17 AM Post #16,632 of 22,945
Any one use the Shure Music Phone Adapter with the SE846?

http://www.shure.com/americas/products/accessories/earphones/earphone-headphone-cables/m-mplus-cables

It looks like it might solve all my problems (no memory wire, music controls, etc...). Just wondering if the impedance is as low as the regular SE846 cable.

Nov 8, 2016 at 3:14 AM Post #16,633 of 22,945
That Mojo has arrived... 
eek.gif
 Jesus. 

EDIT:
Just a quick note, first impressions are very good. There is some noise though with the SE846, but it's really quite low. If I hook it up to my O2 in Line-out mode the noise goes away completely. Having said that, I'm very happy I decided to get the O2 in the 1x/3.3x version. The Mojo puts out 3V in line-out. I need to put the O2 in 1x mode or it clips the input. 

Very early sound impressions of Mojo headphone out vs. O2+Mojo... difficult to say right now. It's very very close. Either way, an improvement over the HA-2 solo (clearly) or HA-2 + Mojo (less, but still noticeably so). 

Nov 8, 2016 at 12:21 PM Post #16,634 of 22,945
  Any one use the Shure Music Phone Adapter with the SE846?

http://www.shure.com/americas/products/accessories/earphones/earphone-headphone-cables/m-mplus-cables

It looks like it might solve all my problems (no memory wire, music controls, etc...). Just wondering if the impedance is as low as the regular SE846 cable.

Hi, never buy this cable!
I got one from shure for free, but I never use it, because it is more worse than the initial stock cable!
that is my experience.
sam

Nov 8, 2016 at 2:21 PM Post #16,635 of 22,945
What's the lowest output jack impedance on a portable headphone amp/DAP, do you think? I've seen the FiiO X5 at 0.27 ohms, and the FiiO E12A at 0.3 ohms.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back