Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Sep 16, 2016 at 10:22 PM Post #16,216 of 22,945
Hey sorry I didn't mean to miss quote you. It's 6am here and I've been up all night.

Your review was wonderful informative I've taken from it a lot to help me. Just wanted to say thanks.

No worrries. I just want relevant info that I said to be info that I said - wouldn't want people to have wrong info that was misquoted.

Good luck!

Sep 17, 2016 at 2:37 AM Post #16,218 of 22,945
Just listened to my se846s today for the first time in weeks I think. Just been too busy with life I guess. Anyway, I'm bemused with how easy it is to forget how awesome these things sound....and how quickly that smile returns to my face when I first put them back in my ears.

Sep 18, 2016 at 6:13 AM Post #16,220 of 22,945
Hey does anyone have a recommendation for a DAC/Amp to use with the SE846? Preferably a budget option as it's only a temporary solution. I have the Fiio E07K and the Dragonfly Red however both of them don't exactly work too well since they both have noise when I plug in the 846. My headphones went kaput and I was planning on getting a new one in a couple of month time but I don't exactly have something to plug into my PC now. Thanks! 

Sep 18, 2016 at 7:17 AM Post #16,221 of 22,945
  Hey does anyone have a recommendation for a DAC/Amp to use with the SE846? Preferably a budget option as it's only a temporary solution. I have the Fiio E09K and the Dragonfly Red however both of them don't exactly work too well since they both have noise when I plug in the 846. My headphones went kaput and I was planning on getting a new one in a couple of month time but I don't exactly have something to plug into my PC now. Thanks! 

what's your source?

Sep 18, 2016 at 8:03 AM Post #16,223 of 22,945
  Source as in file? I use MP3 320 kbps and FLAC but I'm more concerned about whether it produces any noise when plugged in.

the se846 are very sensitive headphones, and some users with sensitive hearing can hear hiss, even with dacs/amps with a low noise floor.
Some users on the mojo thread report hiss, and for them it is a showstopper. Others say that they only hear the hiss during the quiet passages between songs, and the hiss disappears when music tracks are being played, and for them the hiss is not a showstopper.

I know that the mojo is far more expensive than you want to spend, but search the mojo thread, because there are posts from se846 users who complain about the hiss, and they do sometimes receive suggestions of other dacs or headphones.

Sep 18, 2016 at 8:18 AM Post #16,224 of 22,945
iPhone 7 + dongle + SE846 -> count me impressed

853b433deeaef502623659bf20926a5e.jpg

Alcohol is never the answer... But it certainly helps you forget the question.

Sep 18, 2016 at 10:01 AM Post #16,225 of 22,945

Very nice; it's good to hear that the sound has not been wrecked by the dongle even though I don't listen to music directly from the iPhone. My iPhone 7 Plus shows it won't be shipping until November.

By the way, that's a nice choice of music. I just heard her in concert last week.

Sep 18, 2016 at 10:10 AM Post #16,226 of 22,945
There is an awesome objective review of the dongle in the Sound Science subforum.

0.5 ohms of Zout make the dongle the best choice for balanced armature iems out of all the Apple devices.

Epic engineering win for Apple.

Sep 18, 2016 at 10:14 AM Post #16,227 of 22,945
There is an awesome objective review of the dongle in the Sound Science subforum.

0.5 ohms of Zout make the dongle the best choice for balanced armature iems out of all the Apple devices.

Epic engineering win for Apple.

Excellent. I'll go check that out. Thanks.

Sep 18, 2016 at 10:23 AM Post #16,228 of 22,945
  Source as in file? I use MP3 320 kbps and FLAC but I'm more concerned about whether it produces any noise when plugged in.

the se846 are very sensitive headphones, and some users with sensitive hearing can hear hiss, even with dacs/amps with a low noise floor.
Some users on the mojo thread report hiss, and for them it is a showstopper. Others say that they only hear the hiss during the quiet passages between songs, and the hiss disappears when music tracks are being played, and for them the hiss is not a showstopper.

I know that the mojo is far more expensive than you want to spend, but search the mojo thread, because there are posts from se846 users who complain about the hiss, and they do sometimes receive suggestions of other dacs or headphones.

Every portable gear that I have tried (HA-2, Mojo, PHA-3, etc.) with the SE846 produces hiss to some degree. I am in the camp of annoyed, but can deal with it. For desktop equipment, most amps hiss and hiss even louder than portable gear. I have come across some amps that have considered a use case for sensitive headphones and have a dedicated output for them that are dead silent such as the Woo Audio WA7 Fireflies. On the more economical options that are available the only one that I have come across that does not hiss is the O2/ODAC combo. It's not a great amp/DAC, but it's good enough and it produces zero hiss.

Sep 18, 2016 at 12:50 PM Post #16,229 of 22,945

853b433deeaef502623659bf20926a5e.jpg

To anyone who can answer these questions:

1) Do you hear any hiss with the Lightning to 3.5mm dongle with the SE846s?
2) Does the music sound less veiled with the SE846 than I'd did straight from the iPhone 6s headphone jack (the 6s's headphone jack had a particularly ****ty amplifier - I think the 5's and below were much better quality in terms of successfully driving IEMs).
3) How does the sound coming out of the lightning to 3.5mm dongle compare to something like an iPhone -> HA-2 / CCK+DragonFly Red -> SE846 chain?

Sep 18, 2016 at 1:07 PM Post #16,230 of 22,945
It seemed to my ears that there was no hiss with the SE846 but that can not be assessed properly in an Apple Store.

In a few days i will be able to nail down that question as i am very sensitive to any amount of hiss. Just a tiny hint and i will stick with my pitch black iPhone 6.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back