Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Sep 14, 2016 at 4:48 PM Post #16,202 of 22,945
[COLOR=111111]I don't like the 846 sound on ak380.[/COLOR]:mad:

Try the Shure SE846 on the Chord Dave + Taurus MKII. By far the best setup for the Shure SE846 I have heard so far.

Too bad it's not mobile though.

Sep 14, 2016 at 7:41 PM Post #16,204 of 22,945
  For the brain to adjust to a new sound signature a few days (if not weeks) are needed.

On the spot assessments are treacherous. Ears used to a sound signature tend to reject a different one. They do not seem to like at first being pushed out of the comfort zone.

yeah thats why i said quick impressions 
tongue.gif

they are sounding better the more i use them though

Sep 14, 2016 at 11:12 PM Post #16,205 of 22,945
For the brain to adjust to a new sound signature a few days (if not weeks) are needed.

On the spot assessments are treacherous. Ears used to a sound signature tend to reject a different one. They do not seem to like at first being pushed out of the comfort zone.

To a point, but there is a reason we still look for equipment that is more inline with personal preference. No amount of missing spectrum will be replaced magically, even though are brains do a decent job....otherwise nobody would be complaining about freq responses of hd800 or even Bose.

Sep 15, 2016 at 12:54 PM Post #16,206 of 22,945
In my listening room (my ear space, that is) with my tips of choice, the 846 had a slight lower treble peak with the black filter. It is easily brought into balance with EQ (V4A). The only IEM that I have ever owned that didn't have a peak(y) frequency (with my source of choice) was the Roxanne 2. The KSE1500 had a treble peak (again, easily tamed using EQ).

I have heard endgame tonality even with the 535, but I have only heard endgame overall sound with the 846. It was there earlier this week. The key to the kingdom for me is how to keep it there on an ongoing permanent basis. When it was perfect, I changed tips to another pair of the exact same type (a newer pair of triple-flange with backfilled foam and the tonality changed very noticeably for the worse. There is a very delicate balance to (what I consider) perfect tonality and overall sound. So, tips play a very important role. Even (apparently) the state of the tip. The perfect sound tips are older and softer than brand new (even though the new tips isolate sound in a manner that I can't tell the difference in that respect).

I may be wrong, but I always thought the state of my ears also plays a role. I mean earwax and where it might be in the ear canal. After 12 years of wearing IEMs on a near daily basis, my ears produce very little wax (not enough to be visible on a triple-flange tip worn for 8 consecutive hours. But, I still think whatever amount is in my ears changes overnight and the next day, I hear a slight or greater difference in tonality from my 846 setup.

Sep 15, 2016 at 2:40 PM Post #16,207 of 22,945

​For me the key to improving the SE846 consisted of (1) Spinfit tips --big improvement!, and (2) after market cable (Headphone Lounge Reference Silver Litz - Monster Improvement! - replacing the mediocre Shure cable. And using a Chord Mojo made me think I had jiust bought Layla.

Sep 15, 2016 at 3:49 PM Post #16,208 of 22,945
For me with the Spinfit tips (or any single flange tip or even the triple-flange alone) I got less isolation. That resulted in less of a solid sound. With less of a solid sound, the treble seems distant and the tonality off. But, that is just my experience.

I have a Mojo. I bought it to pair with the KSE1500. I have never desired an amp with the 846. The DAC of the Mojo has an ever so slightly lower noise floor which helps if I want to use both V4A and Dolby Atmos together. But, again it doesn't do anything for me connected to the 846. At 9 ohm, the 846 is so efficient that my source is enough. The Mojo is only needed for my full size headphones. The Mojo also doesn't do well with deep sub-bass IMO.

Sep 15, 2016 at 7:16 PM Post #16,209 of 22,945
Last week i noticed that without having suffered any drop, shock or mishandling my 1.5 year old right Shure SE846 had lost a bit of plastic at the seam between the shells.

I got a new pair under warranty but i am still worried about that incident cause i know of other folks that have faced the same issue. And in 6 months i will be out of warranty so the next missing bit of shell can be really expensive to get fixed. In the hefty price tag of the SE846 sturdiness was included or so did i think. Fortunately Shure is very committed to quality so they will look into that nasty issue.

I got in touch with a high rank Shure rep and he has commanded to a few product guys to carefully look into my faulty pair. I have provided him with pictures from another user whose unit has lost a piece of shell at almost the same spot.

I think it could help if i could provide Shure with more pictures or similar chipping off issues. So if your Se846 have suffered from tiny bits chipping off please PM.

If the tonality it's not right, then nothing else really matters.

I had exactly the same issue and just got one of my SE846 earbuds replaced for free out of of warranty. I was actually expecting to pay the $270 flat rate repair fee but was pleasantly surprised when I got a replacement back with no charge. In my case it was the left earbud, but it was the same issue with a crack appearing along that seam and a small piece of plastic peeling back on the bottom edge to expose the internals of the earbud. Shure was very generous to replace it out of warranty for free (just under three years since I purchased them I think, no receipt), but maybe they're starting to see this problem develop, so now I wonder if that factored in. I had dropped them a few times over the years, but nothing that I would consider outside of the ordinary wear and tear that would be expected for any pair of earphones. Very happy with Shure's support, now I just hope the same thing doesn't happen to the other earbud!

Sep 15, 2016 at 8:04 PM Post #16,210 of 22,945
Today I received my Apple Lightning-to-3.5mm adapter, upgraded my iPhone 6 to IOS 10, and tried it with my SE846.  I must say, I'm impressed without the sound (relative to the built in jack).  Switching between the headphone jack and the adapter, I sometimes thought there might be a hair less bass but at other times I thought it sounded the same.  It seems about as good as the built in headphone jack.  The only thing I didn't like about it is the cable is very thin, about as thin as the Apple earbuds cable.  It probably wouldn't hold up to rough treatment.

I still suspect there is a DAC inside the cable, though time will tell.  I don't want to destroy mine the first day I bought it to find out.

I'll probably move forward with buying an iPhone 7 now, since my iPhone 6 has been having some hardware problems lately.  I wanted to try the headphone adapter first before deciding on getting an iPhone 7 or an iPhone 6s.

Sep 15, 2016 at 9:38 PM Post #16,211 of 22,945
The blue filter mod was great but i couldnt keep using it so i gone to the white for a while.

The clarity is better but it came with a lot of sibilance, maybe thats why the foam is in there.

Sep 16, 2016 at 3:15 AM Post #16,212 of 22,945
  I had exactly the same issue and just got one of my SE846 earbuds replaced for free out of of warranty. I was actually expecting to pay the $270 flat rate repair fee but was pleasantly surprised when I got a replacement back with no charge. In my case it was the left earbud, but it was the same issue with a crack appearing along that seam and a small piece of plastic peeling back on the bottom edge to expose the internals of the earbud. Shure was very generous to replace it out of warranty for free (just under three years since I purchased them I think, no receipt), but maybe they're starting to see this problem develop, so now I wonder if that factored in. I had dropped them a few times over the years, but nothing that I would consider outside of the ordinary wear and tear that would be expected for any pair of earphones. Very happy with Shure's support, now I just hope the same thing doesn't happen to the other earbud!

Thanks for reporting.

By now i have tracked down four guys aside of me facing the issue. Not many but i will be looking forward to hear from Shure when their lab inspect my earphone.

Sep 16, 2016 at 10:08 PM Post #16,213 of 22,945

I've got experience with two of your mentioned companies (Senasphonics and Snugs), and I would personally choose the Sensaphonics Custom Sleeves as the only choice.  Check out the SCS thread to learn more (link to review is in my profile).

Good luck!

Thanks to Both you and Ray1684 I went ahead purchased the Sensphonics full sleeve, It's not cheap as they ask for another $50 just for a color addition and your review says stay away from the white.

With shipping and all it will cost my around $240 for the customs sleeves hope it's worth it. I do love my se846's though.

My next purchase would be a cable, not sure which one yet, but I guess I will need at least $400 for a descent cable to replace the customs shure cables.

Thanks again yall!

Sep 16, 2016 at 10:14 PM Post #16,214 of 22,945
Thanks to Both you and Ray1684 I went ahead purchased the Sensphonics full sleeve, It's not cheap as they ask for another $50 just for a color addition and your review says stay away from the white.

With shipping and all it will cost my around $240 for the customs sleeves hope it's worth it. I do love my se846's though.

My next purchase would be a cable, not sure which one yet, but I guess I will need at least $400 for a descent cable to replace the customs shure cables.

Thanks again yall!

Just a clarification, I did not say to stay away, you can purchase anything you'd like, but based on my experience with seeing the different color sleeves in person, I personally would not choose the clear sleeves. Also, for clarification, nowhere in the review did I say to stay away from "the white".

Good luck!

Sep 16, 2016 at 10:19 PM Post #16,215 of 22,945
Just a clarification, I did not say to stay away, you can purchase anything you'd like, but based on my experience with seeing the different color sleeves in person, I personally would not choose the clear sleeves. Also, for clarification, nowhere in the review did I say to stay away from "the white".

Good luck!

Hey sorry I didn't mean to miss quote you. It's 6am here and I've been up all night.

Your review was wonderful informative I've taken from it a lot to help me. Just wanted to say thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back