Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
May 24, 2016 at 9:45 AM Post #15,408 of 22,945
I am thinking of selling my Silver dragon cable for the 846 ( it has the TRRS termination for the Sony ZX2) if anyone is interested? 

I am only selling as I am getting rid of the ZX2 ( reluctantly as I need the money) but am keeping my 846s! :)

It definitely made a noticeable difference in my opinion and was well worth the money. A good upgrade compared to the stock cable. 

Does anyone else use the cable with the TRRS termination, what did you find?

May 24, 2016 at 1:15 PM Post #15,410 of 22,945
  I've been looking for comparable settings in Can Opener for the SE846.  Closest Shure product is the SE535.  Anyone find a headphone setting they're using besides the SE535's?  Thanks!

I used to love Can Opener. What a great app!  As for the settings, they're only used to estimate SPLs at your eardrum. (Useful, but non-essential and a bit approximate, given the wild impedance variations of the SE846 with frequency). SE535 settings won't be close, because the SE846 is way more sensitive. You could try plugging these numbers manually into Can Opener:

Impedance: 9 Ohm
Sensitivity: 114 dB/mW

Sadly, Can Opener is iOS only, so I'd recommend you start learning to live without it. Come September, it's only going to be useful for legacy iPhones.

May 25, 2016 at 4:15 AM Post #15,411 of 22,945
  I used to love Can Opener. What a great app!  As for the settings, they're only used to estimate SPLs at your eardrum. (Useful, but non-essential and a bit approximate, given the wild impedance variations of the SE846 with frequency). SE535 settings won't be close, because the SE846 is way more sensitive. You could try plugging these numbers manually into Can Opener:

Impedance: 9 Ohm
Sensitivity: 114 dB/mW

Sadly, Can Opener is iOS only, so I'd recommend you start learning to live without it. Come September, it's only going to be useful for legacy iPhones.

Just for the sake of knowing...what SPL estimates Can Opener on an iPhone at six volume squares with the SE846 and a modern (loud) album?

I did some trials with SPL meters and it was in the 95 dB(A) RMS circa.

May 26, 2016 at 1:10 AM Post #15,412 of 22,945
really man this iem is so dam good, i was wondering will their be an upgrade to 846 other than kse1500, which i totally lost interest in from some reviews and the fact it needs a special amp

i have in my interest the following

1- 64audio u12
2- jhadio rosie

i put my shure 846 for sale and i backed out so many times from selling taking an excuse that me and the potential buyer price difference would be a very minor difference around 30 usd, believe if i really wanted to sell it i would not care about the 30 usd difference

i really wonder if any of the listed will really make me more happy than i am now with the shure 846

did you get a chance to compare the 846's with the rosie? curious to know!!!

May 26, 2016 at 2:31 PM Post #15,413 of 22,945

Just for the sake of knowing...what SPL estimates Can Opener on an iPhone at six volume squares with the SE846 and a modern (loud) album?

That's interesting elfary, because I'm getting numbers quite different from yours. I tried a few tracks that are consistently loud. Symphony X :) Love them. But they only have one volume level. They play loud all the time and often have fairly poor dynamic range in their recordings. Going back and forth between Twilight in Olympus (Smoke and Mirrors) and Paradise Lost (title track), Can Opener's dosimeter reports my SPLs (no A weighting) ranging between 75 dB and 78 dB. Can Opener's readings are fairly consistent and within a couple of dB of the peaks I'm measuring (roughly 73 dB to 76 dB, also with no A-weighting). I got similar numbers using the loud sections from Steven Wilson's "Ancestral".

Just to be clear on my volume settings. I'm using an iPhone 6 and since Can Opener doesn't actually show those little volume squares (it shows its volume level as dB offset), I counted 6 increments up from silent, which does indeed show six volume squares once exiting the Can Opener app. I'm using modded blue filters and a Westone adventure cable (my silver litz cable would likely show higher SPLs, but only very marginally.) I'm using no EQ in Can Opener and crossfeed is bypassed. Something else must be creating the discrepancy between what we're both measuring. Which iPhone model are you using? What tracks are you measuring? 

P.S. Whoops. I just discovered I made one bad mistake. I forgot I always used to set a volume limit on my iPhone (I don't use an iPhone anymore these days). Turning the volume limit off and going to volume level 6, I measure almost 80 dB. Curiously though, the numbers reported in Can Opener don't change.

May 26, 2016 at 2:35 PM Post #15,414 of 22,945
my shure 846 right earbud got broken I mean sound is distorted esp. rock music, just like a wrecked can
frown.gif
 i tried everything i cleaned it, i changed cable but still no changes! i bought it in janven.ae.
frown.gif

May 26, 2016 at 3:22 PM Post #15,415 of 22,945
  my shure 846 right earbud got broken I mean sound is distorted esp. rock music, just like a wrecked can
frown.gif
 i tried everything i cleaned it, i changed cable but still no changes! i bought it in janven.ae.
frown.gif

Contact Shure and provide proof of purchase and they should take care of you. I was told that they (US Office) don't have the capacity to repair buds...so they just ship out a new one(s).

May 26, 2016 at 4:18 PM Post #15,417 of 22,945

That's interesting elfary, because I'm getting numbers quite different from yours. I tried a few tracks that are consistently loud. Symphony X :) Love them. But they only have one volume level. They play loud all the time and often have fairly poor dynamic range in their recordings. Going back and forth between Twilight in Olympus (Smoke and Mirrors) and Paradise Lost (title track), Can Opener's dosimeter reports my SPLs (no A weighting) ranging between 75 dB and 78 dB. Can Opener's readings are fairly consistent and within a couple of dB of the peaks I'm measuring (roughly 73 dB to 76 dB, also with no A-weighting). I got similar numbers using the loud sections from Steven Wilson's "Ancestral".

Just to be clear on my volume settings. I'm using an iPhone 6 and since Can Opener doesn't actually show those little volume squares (it shows its volume level as dB offset), I counted 6 increments up from silent, which does indeed show six volume squares once exiting the Can Opener app. I'm using modded blue filters and a Westone adventure cable (my silver litz cable would likely show higher SPLs, but only very marginally.) I'm using no EQ in Can Opener and crossfeed is bypassed. Something else must be creating the discrepancy between what we're both measuring. Which iPhone model are you using? What tracks are you measuring? 

P.S. Whoops. I just discovered I made one bad mistake. I forgot I always used to set a volume limit on my iPhone (I don't use an iPhone anymore these days). Turning the volume limit off and going to volume level 6, I measure almost 80 dB. Curiously though, the numbers reported in Can Opener don't change.

I measured SPL on an japanese iPhone 6 using an app certified by the American Acoustic Society.

It seems to me that can opener readings are way off mark. On a modern track with an RMS of -8dBFS the uber sensitive SE846s powered by an iPhone at six iOS volume squares can not just output 80dbs. Way too soft reading.

If the tonality it's not right, then nothing else really matters.

May 26, 2016 at 4:20 PM Post #15,418 of 22,945
And my measurement was (A) iiweighted. Raw decibels being just 80 sounds even more unlikely to be accurate.

May 26, 2016 at 8:47 PM Post #15,419 of 22,945
And my measurement was (A) iiweighted. Raw decibels being just 80 sounds even more unlikely to be accurate.

I may be doing something wrong with Can Opener. A reboot without the volume-limit hasn't changed anything. It's still showing close to 80 dB (no A-weighting) at volume setting #6.  I will keep digging...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back