Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Apr 8, 2016 at 4:51 PM Post #14,806 of 22,960
  http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pure-Solid-Silver-Shure-SE535-SE425-SE315-SE846-UE900-Fidue-A83-upgrade-cable-/181983121347

Very,very good cable for the price.Using it with ZX2 With TRRS plug.Highly detailed,crisper highs,more musical than stock,tighter bass with better decay.

is the bass extension deeper? I want an all silver cable but don't want to sacrifice bass.

Apr 8, 2016 at 5:03 PM Post #14,807 of 22,960

is the bass extension deeper? I want an all silver cable but don't want to sacrifice bass.

It's better quality bass,faster not deeper,same extension but better decay somewhat sparkly but copper cable will be slightly more punchy.I changed cables in less than a minute using ZX2 as source and sound was cleaner,clearer,better treble and better bass quality but i was using the TRRS plug so don't know how much it  comes to that and how much to the cable itself.There are a couple of members here using this cable with stock plug and are satisfied.Doesn't  hurt to try for the price.The alternative is to get nuts like Whatzzup and buy a $700-$800 cable.I bet that will sound better
tongue.gif

Apr 8, 2016 at 6:30 PM Post #14,808 of 22,960
  Hello everyone..
as i am new to headfi forums and interested with purchase the SE846, i have a question..
any recommendation for a good replacement cable?
thanks a bunch :)

If you're going to spend any significant money ($100+) on an aftermarket cable, buy from somebody that has the ability and the willingness to fix it when needed. Any cable will eventually fail in some way after a period of use. Many custom cable builders on the forum, will repair of make changes to a cable purchased from them. The other nice thing about folks on the board, is that there's a level of accountability because buyers report both good and bad. I just got back my Reference Silver Litz that I bought a year and a half ago from Headphone Lounge (Ted), that needed some work.

Apr 8, 2016 at 7:42 PM Post #14,809 of 22,960
Thanks for the impression. I didn't know there was even much difference in the 900 vs 900s.i thought it was mainly a packaging and advertising refresh with more accessories. Yeah it was a good deal. The guy bought 2 pairs on his trip to America. I live in NZ so I'm not sure about warranty. If I had the money would have definitely jumped on it.

Apr 8, 2016 at 8:15 PM Post #14,810 of 22,960
Thanks for the impression. I didn't know there was even much difference in the 900 vs 900s.i thought it was mainly a packaging and advertising refresh with more accessories. Yeah it was a good deal. The guy bought 2 pairs on his trip to America. I live in NZ so I'm not sure about warranty. If I had the money would have definitely jumped on it.

That's what UE told me in person the other day (mainly packaging, with more accessories).  Regarding the internals, as far as I know, both the 900 and 900s are identical.

Apr 8, 2016 at 8:18 PM Post #14,811 of 22,960
@pablosammy @RCBinTN thank you guys so much my tips arrived last night I ordered the medium size and it works much much better than any other tips i have used in the past plus i can actually feel the difference in bass and now they actually feel like the 846 people were talking about....with bass :D

Apr 8, 2016 at 8:47 PM Post #14,812 of 22,960
  When I get home today I'll have my Ref Silver Litz cable back from Ted (Headphone Lounge), and my new 8 wire Therium from Norne Audio will be shipping. I haven't been this excited since I first realized that my hands could reach my nether regions...lol  
biggrin.gif

Walt

Apr 8, 2016 at 9:02 PM Post #14,815 of 22,960
Apr 8, 2016 at 9:22 PM Post #14,816 of 22,960
Do you have a low impedance DAC, Amp or DAC-Amp to use with your computer? The question why I am asking is because then you could download sine generator software like "SineGen" and do a manual sweep to find out what specific frequency it is where you are experiencing this.

The lowest impedance device I have is the iPhone 6, which measures at about 3.2 Ohms per Ken Rockwell's measurements. And this is what I'm using as source.

Apr 8, 2016 at 9:41 PM Post #14,819 of 22,960
@pablosammy @RCBinTN thank you guys so much my tips arrived last night I ordered the medium size and it works much much better than any other tips i have used in the past plus i can actually feel the difference in bass and now they actually feel like the 846 people were talking about....with bass
biggrin.gif

Great to hear it!
Enjoy your music!!

RCBinTN

Apr 8, 2016 at 9:50 PM Post #14,820 of 22,960
I have now gone full circle with the SE846, mainly trying to tame the treble with the Silver Dragon interconnect between the AK120ii and Oppo HA-2.  Finally settled on the un-modded blue tips and the low gain setting on the Oppo, with the tapered foam tips.

The SpinFits gave a nice fit in my ears, but a much brighter sound.  The foam tips seem to provide a more natural sound, closer to the music I hear with my LCD-X.  I think the SpinFits are very nice quality tips, they just didn't work for me.  FWIW, YMMV, and all the others.

Enjoy your music!

Cheers -
RCB

Users who are viewing this thread

Back