Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Mar 19, 2016 at 5:01 PM Post #14,566 of 22,945

Do you recommend people with the stock cable and CP800 Spinfits to do the memory wire removal mod then?

I tried listening with a stock cable last night and couldn't get the tips to seal properly. I can definitely see why some folks would say the bass sounded thin. I never use the 6' cable so I decided to try removing the memory wire. It made such a difference in how the tips seal and just overall comfort, that I'm considering doing the same with my shorter cable as well (but probably won't). It you have one stock cable that you never use, I'll go as far as to say I'd recommend removing the memory wires from it, just so that you can judge for yourself weather or not you want them in your cables at all.

Mar 19, 2016 at 5:18 PM Post #14,567 of 22,945
Hey guys im new to audio. How good are these iem's? I have two seperate playlists on my phone. A hip hop rap playlist and a rock playlist. From dr dre to kings of leon.

Running the sabre android dac into a cayin c5. Im mostly interested in how these iem's will sound with my rock collection. I currently have the psb m4u2 and v moda crossfade wireless. This set up is covering everything for my portable needs.

Im considering the hifiman he400i and the audeze EL8. Seeing as the EL8 are £600 uk ive started thinking that the se846 will allow me to use them at every opportunity, whereas my headphone choice is location limited (im on the road listening to music upto 6hours a day for work as a passenger).

Im looking for that amazing experience of crystal clear clarity whilst the rock band sound real and vivid, instead of just listening to music through IEM's.

Im also considering the mojo. It will be a £1000 setup and ive accepted it. Such is life and im happy to pay for it. However maybe what Im trying to achieve cant be done I have no idea. My set up right now sounds sweet. Songs by meatloaf and prince sounds superb to my ears, im assuming the future set up im considering will be exactly what im after.

Any thoughts, please help me out and thanks to this awesome community thats helped me out in various threads

Mar 19, 2016 at 6:58 PM Post #14,572 of 22,945
I actually enjoy the memory wire. Once you have twisted it enough it will always fit perfectly in your ears and if someone has something to say you can just leave the in ear monitors hanging on your ears.

Mar 19, 2016 at 7:11 PM Post #14,575 of 22,945
This is my method. Don't try this at home folks!. Craft knife,wire cutters.Do not start at the earpiece end, At the other end of the memory wire, i use a sharp blade to get under the plastic,and VERY CAREFULLY,cut up to about a quarter inch from the end, then peel the plastic back to the quarter inch spot,and cut. this leaves the memory wire. Cut the memory wire at the same place,IE,. quarter inch from top. There is a better guide on the thread somewhere,but this was my method. I cut memory wire from any other cable that i need to. I leave the quarter of an inch, to hopefully keep the strength at the earpiece. This is my method. took me about 10 minutes.This is not recommended,its only my way.

Mar 19, 2016 at 7:22 PM Post #14,577 of 22,945
How does it effect the seal? It doesn't seem it has enough "strength" to disturb the seal.

I have not attempted the memory wire removal mod...

However...

Apparently it effects the CP800 Spinfit seal so i've been told by a member of this forum by the name of kino lau...

I tried listening with a stock cable last night and couldn't get the tips to seal properly. I can definitely see why some folks would say the bass sounded thin. I never use the 6' cable so I decided to try removing the memory wire. It made such a difference in how the tips seal and just overall comfort, that I'm considering doing the same with my shorter cable as well (but probably won't). It you have one stock cable that you never use, I'll go as far as to say I'd recommend removing the memory wires from it, just so that you can judge for yourself weather or not you want them in your cables at all.

Mar 19, 2016 at 7:32 PM Post #14,579 of 22,945
I'm going to do a memory wire removal mod...

Fingers crossed my CP800 Spinfits seal...

Can you post how-to guide on this process...

Thankyou

I used an X-acto knife and a pair of needle nose pliers, but tweezers would work. I was more comfortable doing the second one. Hold the cable stretched out in front of you with the connector furthest away. Turn the cable so that the wire is clearly visible along the top of it. The cable is still straight out away from you with the connector / wire furthest away. Using whatever you've got to cut with, cut into the sheath that is lying right on top of the wire and you can pull the blade toward you, using the wire underneath as a guard so that you won't cut the actual cable. Once you've sliced the sheath the length of the wire, you can twist the cable to fully expose the wire. If you've been able to slice all the way to the end of the wire opposite the connector, you can pull the wire out with pliers or tweezers. Now that you're feeling confident, carefully slice away the remaining extra sheath, pulling it off with pliers or tweezers when you can, to limit having to use the blade close to the cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back