Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Dec 19, 2015 at 12:21 PM Post #13,591 of 22,945
I'd like to report of my very positive experience with Shure service to my registered SE846.  After 2 years of extensive daily use, the right driver unit quit.  Unfortunately, I was on a flight at the time without my SE530 backups (hint for travelers).  Upon return I got in touch with Shure thru their service website.  A day later, troubleshooting instructions and shipping directions came.  Sent the bad unit in, got an email receipt for it then waited.  Shure replaced the faulty unit ($240) free of charge and had a replacement back to me in a matter of days.  No issues with the sound of the new unit.  Kudos to Shure.  I have been a regular customer since 2005.

Dec 19, 2015 at 12:44 PM Post #13,592 of 22,945
My sound sensitivity, (it hurts slightly) for example in this song. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FVwlK2aXlvc

Starting at second :20 the fake drums in the background, when they spike, they are sensitive an sounds very annoying on my se846, maybe not painful but easily fatigue and wear out the ears, what exactly in the equalizer do I need to fix so I can enjoy the song still but to make that drumbeat (snair) be down

Please, any input is welcome, I am desperate, there are a few songs that are similar in the sensitivity or certain parts of the songs

I just gave it a quick listen, it sounds to my ear like there is a fairly broad range of high frequencies in that effect so you'd need to do more precise testing to narrow it down.

Have you experienced this with other earbuds or headphones?  My own experience is that the SE846 are actually the least fatiguing earphones I have ever used, but this is an extremely individual thing.  I just want to repeat again that you should absolutely go see an audiologist for a hearing test since it sounds to me from everything you've said that your ears are the piece of equipment most contributing to this, and you want to get that evaluated. 

In terms of equalizing, the colored filters are actually a kind of equalizer so you can try going one filter "down"--if you're using the blues, try the blacks.  If you want to make a more specific adjustment, if you have an equalizer on your playback device, start at the top frequency and knock it down bit by bit... see if that helps... if not, reset it and try the next slider, etc. etc.  You'll just have to experiment and see what works for your ears, noone else can judge that for you.

Dec 20, 2015 at 6:42 PM Post #13,593 of 22,945
I'd like to share a little story I had with my SE846.

A couple of weeks ago, I was trying to change my ringtone while wearing my SE846. Unfortunately, I thought the media volume was the same as the ringtone volume on my phone. When I changed the ringtone, I was in full volume blast in my ears from the new ringtone. I took it off after 2 seconds of extreme volume exposure. At first, the sound seems like it was coming from the speakerphone. It sounded loud and no distortion! I was recuperating from a nasty surprise and at the same time I had this confusion where was the sound coming from. I unplugged the earphone and immediately realized that it was coming from the SE846 when the sound from the actual speakerphone sounded slightly louder. I got scared that I may have damaged my prized earphone. I tested my SE846 to hear any damages that may occurred. Luckily, I didn't hear any distortion. I think I am over this traumatic experience but yet pleasantly surprised by the sound quality of the SE846 at extreme high volume.

Anyway, I wonder if the SE846 can go full blast volume for a long time without damaging it. Any thoughts or comments?

Dec 20, 2015 at 8:48 PM Post #13,594 of 22,945
I'd like to share a little story I had with my SE846.

A couple of weeks ago, I was trying to change my ringtone while wearing my SE846. Unfortunately, I thought the media volume was the same as the ringtone volume on my phone. When I changed the ringtone, I was in full volume blast in my ears from the new ringtone. I took it off after 2 seconds of extreme volume exposure. At first, the sound seems like it was coming from the speakerphone. It sounded loud and no distortion! I was recuperating from a nasty surprise and at the same time I had this confusion where was the sound coming from. I unplugged the earphone and immediately realized that it was coming from the SE846 when the sound from the actual speakerphone sounded slightly louder. I got scared that I may have damaged my prized earphone. I tested my SE846 to hear any damages that may occurred. Luckily, I didn't hear any distortion. I think I am over this traumatic experience but yet pleasantly surprised by the sound quality of the SE846 at extreme high volume.

Anyway, I wonder if the SE846 can go full blast volume for a long time without damaging it. Any thoughts or comments?

I'm not surprised, these things don't cost $1K for nothing.  Please be careful for your ears though, you can cause a lot of damage quickly listening at very high volume.

Dec 20, 2015 at 9:07 PM Post #13,595 of 22,945

Just because it can, doesn't mean it has to. I baby my 846 bcos it's expensive. At full blast driver failure might come earlier.

Dec 20, 2015 at 11:24 PM Post #13,596 of 22,945
I just got a brand pair of 846 and it turns out that the nozzle key and filters werent included in the box. Has anyone experience this in the forums, im going to call shure tomorrow and hopefully they wont charge me for it

Dec 20, 2015 at 11:44 PM Post #13,598 of 22,945
Did you check the small pouch inside the black carrying case? That's where mine was when I bought my pair

only thing that was in that pouch was the ear buds and extra wires. I dont understand how this could have happened. it was a completely sealed box.

Dec 21, 2015 at 12:25 AM Post #13,599 of 22,945
  only thing that was in that pouch was the ear buds and extra wires. I dont understand how this could have happened. it was a completely sealed box.

Take it back to the store you bought it from.

Dec 21, 2015 at 1:06 AM Post #13,601 of 22,945
Dec 21, 2015 at 2:12 AM Post #13,602 of 22,945
Does it come with nozzle key as well cause mines didnt have all that?

The nozzle key is attached to the capsule that holds the filters. That's the way they come from the factory. There is little chance you have one and not the other. Held on by a small chain loop.

Dec 21, 2015 at 9:02 AM Post #13,605 of 22,945
  I just got a brand pair of 846 and it turns out that the nozzle key and filters werent included in the box. Has anyone experience this in the forums, im going to call shure tomorrow and hopefully they wont charge me for it

Send it back to the store you bought it from and ask for a new unit or ask your money back. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back