Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Oct 24, 2015 at 3:28 AM Post #13,051 of 22,960
Well, the SR-009 has a different connector which is why the SR-009 can't be connected to the Chord Hugo in the first place. 

If the SR-009 had a normal connector that every headphone uses, than maybe it would work?
Playing catch up on this thread, so - may well have missed that someone else answered this already - however, no - the bias is completely different on electrostats - they need something like 200v to run, if you consider the Hugo (even on white volume) caps out at I believe 5V, that tells you you're waaaaaaaaaaaay short!

Oct 24, 2015 at 7:24 PM Post #13,052 of 22,960
Can someone share there V4A (VIPER4Android) settings please as im finding it hard to tweak.

Im using the Modded Blue Filter

Just looking for a little help if you all would be so kind to zip it up and send me the link via pm... Thankyou

Thankyou all...

Oct 25, 2015 at 5:17 PM Post #13,055 of 22,960
Mine are identical - not a defect or stressed - I'm sure it is adhesive/epoxy that is used to anchor the connector to the shell. since this is a manual process, some may have more or less but if you hunt for photos, all of the actual photos, (not promo shots) have some degree of this cloudiness there

Quote:
  Hi fellow 846 owners,  I wanted to post some pictures here to see if your SE846 looks similar to mine.  I have always had concerns with how some parts of the clear shell around the cable connector and nozzle looks opaque (or stressed).  I am wondering if this is a manufacturing defect as I am definitely careful enough to not stress these parts.  

See pictures for reference:

http://i62.tinypic.com/2v0y053.jpg

http://i61.tinypic.com/907jo2.jpg

http://i59.tinypic.com/n5t0cp.jpg

Oct 26, 2015 at 6:24 AM Post #13,057 of 22,960
After much deliberation, and flip-flopping between buying this and the WESTONE W60, I decided to purchase a pair of SE846. Early impressions lead me to believe this pair will probably be the most satisfying purchase of my IEM/portable audio era. Yes, these things are expensive, but they sound and fit great, out of the box, and give a true premium experience, with all the accessories. After a rather underwhelming experience with fit, finish and SQ of a previous ultra-high-end universal IEM, I am glad to finally have the SE846 in my ears.

Oct 26, 2015 at 8:23 PM Post #13,060 of 22,960
After a rather underwhelming experience with fit, finish and SQ of a previous ultra-high-end universal IEM, I am glad to finally have the SE846 in my ears.

That's great! Be sure to try the blue filter mod if you like treble but want to keep the bass.

Oct 27, 2015 at 7:43 AM Post #13,062 of 22,960
HI guys, I'm struggling between Shure Se 846, Westone W40 and Westone UM Pro 50.

After reading, reading reading for the past 10 days i still cannot decide which one to get (i could stretch my budget to get the se 846 that are, of course, more expensive than the other two). I was almost set for the UM Pro 50 but reading the thread here on headfi i saw not many people liked them, many issues with quality control, glue showing in the shells,loose cables and many people reporting they are not worth the price at all from a sound point of view.

moreover, i'm replacing a pair of sennheiser ie8i which i don't like because toooo warm and not as detailed as i would like the sound to be. From what i was reading the westones are all very very very warm sounding.

I have few questions about the shure se 846:

1- Low impedance: I've never had a pair of iem with such low impedance. Would i get hissing noise with the se 846 with an iphone or ipod touch or mac without an iem amp?

2- Cable: i'm planning to use them while out so i want to purchase the Shure cable with remote as well (i really need a remote). Any experience with the se 846 with the shure iPhone cable?

3- comfort: as i will wear them out, are they comfortable enough?I was reading they are quite heavy and big, do they move a lot around while walking? I hate when i constantly have to readjust the fit.

Decisions Decisions Decisions
rolleyes.gif

Many thanks!!

Oct 27, 2015 at 9:54 AM Post #13,063 of 22,960
Hi Harlan.I have the 846,4R,and others. I Have just plugged the 846,into mac pro.No hiss at all ( For me ) I use Also with HIfI M8,again no Hiss. After 4R,the most noticeable difference,was the 846 bass was far deeper,better,again,for me. The one thing i struggled with,at first,was getting a good fit. I settled on small silicon. I have tried different cables,balanced/unbalanced,and don't find much difference. Worth going from 4R to 846?. For me,yes. Hope this helps you.

Oct 27, 2015 at 10:33 AM Post #13,065 of 22,960
  Hi Harlan.I have the 846,4R,and others. I Have just plugged the 846,into mac pro.No hiss at all ( For me ) I use Also with HIfI M8,again no Hiss. After 4R,the most noticeable difference,was the 846 bass was far deeper,better,again,for me. The one thing i struggled with,at first,was getting a good fit. I settled on small silicon. I have tried different cables,balanced/unbalanced,and don't find much difference. Worth going from 4R to 846?. For me,yes. Hope this helps you.

Thanks! I went ahead and after so much reading in the past weeks i ordered a paid of Se 846 along with the shure iphone cable (i know it's not a very good cable but i really need the remote for when i'm out walking).

My walled hurts a lot but at the end i spent much more in stuff for photography the past than for these wonderful (i hope) iems :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back