Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Sep 8, 2015 at 6:16 PM Post #12,601 of 22,945
  I was of the belief that the White filters had no material in them. I never looked. They're what I'm using at the moment, and what I like best. Another member had mentioned using no filter at all, which is what I'll try next.

I did't like it (too shrill and reverberative), but the more so an empty filter tube (used the black one for that purpose). You get considerably less bass that way, though (EQ mandatory), in exchange the most fluent treble.

Sep 9, 2015 at 2:24 AM Post #12,602 of 22,945

update:

I did some comparisons and I don't think the Shure SE846 sounds good with these modded white filters. The Shure SE846 moves closer to the HD800 in terms of frequency response, but it sounds very bad in comparison to the Sennheiser HD800 (the Shure SE846 sounds bright, harsh, cold and lacking definition)

I'll unmod these white filters and contact Shure for new filters since the "cloths" are uneven of my white filters.

edit: So the Shure SE846 is a bright, harsh and cold sounding IEM which the filters transform into a more fun sounding IEM basically?

There are 2 parts to the filter the mesh/cloth like at the end closer to the drivers and the foam at the other end (only on blue and black) you are not suppose to remove the cloth/mesh part, that's almost irreversible. I also find that the different meshes (i.e foam removed in all filters) produces different sounds, although people here have disagreed with that point.

Many iems have filters to tame the treble e.g westone line, er4p etc, some primarily to block out earwax, but almost always make a difference plenty of modding even in lower end iems like sony mh1c (you poke a small hole in the center of the filter to increase the mid range).

I was washing my tips once and put them on before they were dry, some of the water got into my left filter (without foam), the mesh/cloth was so thick, there was no sound/unbalanced for 2 days while the filter dried out, had to use another filter during that period.

Sep 9, 2015 at 5:46 PM Post #12,603 of 22,945
Thanks for the feedback, I sent them in yesterday but me brinig in my shire caused a big commotion at the local UPS. I put reference monitors for the item description on the form the lady gave me and she ask if I'm mistaken they look like normal headphones then she looked at the value of the item that I put on the formed and screamed $1000 and called all the other worker to look at them then I had to explain what they used for ECT. But the whole thing was pretty unprofessional. And fot me alot of unwanted attention

Sep 12, 2015 at 1:25 AM Post #12,606 of 22,945
So with the se846, so there not good to use with a amp or dac because of the low ohms?
What would be good to use with a amp and dac?
(I use Schiit Audio)

There are lots of dac amps with low ohms of 1 or less. If thats important.

Sep 12, 2015 at 12:01 PM Post #12,608 of 22,945
Ok, but I really like my Schiit Audio,
Are low ohm IEMs better then hi ohms?
That is like asking if milk is better than cream in your coffee...

There is no right or wrong answer I'm afraid, other than if you have a weak amplifier a low ohm load will be more of a problem than a high one (but generally speaking high ohm gear is not as efficient (dbmw) than low ohm)

Sep 12, 2015 at 2:29 PM Post #12,609 of 22,945
If the impedance of the IEM is not constant with frequency, you'll want an amp with an output impedance much less than the IEM's lowest impedance.  Otherwise, each amp will impart a different sound "signature" to the IEM since the amp impedance will interact with the IEM impedance to emphasize and de-emphasize certain frequencies.  For example, the SE846s sound warmer with the iPhone 6+ output than with the Fiio X5ii since the SE846s have lower impedance in the higher frequencies than in the bass.  The iPhone 6+ has about a 3 ohm output compared to the Fiio X5ii's <0.1 ohm.  This interacts with the SE846s ~8 ohms at 1k, but ~24 ohms at 100 Hz (from memory).  The Fiio output makes the SE846s sound brighter.  However, when using other, higher impedance IEMs, such as the W3 or UM3X where the impedance curves flips (lower impedance for the bass vs. high), the Fiio X5 makes those IEMs sound darker.

To get a flat impedance response, you almost have to have a single driver without a crossover.  With a crossover, you want the lowest impedance getting to the IEM (cables, connectors, amp output impedance) that you can get.

I got the Fiio X5ii specifically for the SE846s to help open them up (white filter, olive tips).

Sep 12, 2015 at 3:19 PM Post #12,610 of 22,945
Thank you, well my amp + Dac has a ohm greater then 8, I think it's 15ohms, so it wouldn't be good to use the se846 with my schiit amp and dac?
If the impedance of the IEM is not constant with frequency, you'll want an amp with an output impedance much less than the IEM's lowest impedance.  Otherwise, each amp will impart a different sound "signature" to the IEM since the amp impedance will interact with the IEM impedance to emphasize and de-emphasize certain frequencies.  For example, the SE846s sound warmer with the iPhone 6+ output than with the Fiio X5ii since the SE846s have lower impedance in the higher frequencies than in the bass.  The iPhone 6+ has about a 3 ohm output compared to the Fiio X5ii's <0.1 ohm.  This interacts with the SE846s ~8 ohms at 1k, but ~24 ohms at 100 Hz (from memory).  The Fiio output makes the SE846s sound brighter.  However, when using other, higher impedance IEMs, such as the W3 or UM3X where the impedance curves flips (lower impedance for the bass vs. high), the Fiio X5 makes those IEMs sound darker.

To get a flat impedance response, you almost have to have a single driver without a crossover.  With a crossover, you want the lowest impedance getting to the IEM (cables, connectors, amp output impedance) that you can get.

I got the Fiio X5ii specifically for the SE846s to help open them up (white filter, olive tips).

Sep 13, 2015 at 10:42 AM Post #12,612 of 22,945

X5 Specs: Headphone Impedance Range 16 to 300 Ω

Sep 13, 2015 at 10:46 AM Post #12,613 of 22,945
Personally I don't find impedance an issue with my 846/Pono in balanced mode, even though on paper it might look "wrong."  Others think it matters.  To each....

Right now, with my UERMs in the shop for a minor shell adjustment I'm using my 846 again.  Took out the filters and am running "bareback."  Sounds good to me (but again, to each....).  I also think it sounds good with the modded blue filter.  Tried the fully modded (empty tube) black but didn't  like it.  And the white sounds too thin to me- the creaminess is missing in the lows and mids.

The sound (using the Sensaphonics) is full, thick, lots of timbre.  It's a very robust iem.  Mids are strong and clear, bass is strong and distinct, but I still have to reach a bit for the higher trebles.  I found right away with one track on the new release of The Band's Stagefright 24/192 that at the start of the song, there are two voices and then a third singer overlays his voice in a very subtle manner.  Very clear on the UERM, not at all clear on the 846.  

I still think the 846 is a wonderful iem with the right material (for instance, the Beatles Remasters), but for a lot of my music it is just not bright enough.  My loss.  

Sep 13, 2015 at 9:14 PM Post #12,614 of 22,945
  Personally I don't find impedance an issue with my 846/Pono in balanced mode, even though on paper it might look "wrong."  Others think it matters.  To each....

I have to agree with this statement.

I use ZX2 +SE846+ Sensaphonics full shell

Yes, on the paper it might not the best combo. The Zx2 has a quite hight output impedance.

But the  facts are more important. This combo sounds GREAT. That's the most important.

Moreover, i tried to add an low output impedance amp (cypher labs picollo), it wasn't better at all...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back