Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Jul 5, 2015 at 2:57 AM Post #11,941 of 22,945

Thank you.

I wouldn't mind listening to a 16-driver IEM.  The amount of drivers is just one facet of the entire sound signature of a particular C/IEM - what would also come into play would be the amount and implementation of crossovers, tuning, material/type of internal driver/connector cabling used, solder used, material, shape and design for bore, material and design of housing, etcetera.

Back on topic - I do adore the SE846 + SCS, it punches above its weight compared to most IEMs available today, but admittedly there are a few higher driver IEMs that I did/do enjoy more than the SE846.  Just the fact that the 4-driver is still being compared to a lot of TOTL C/IEMs is a testament to the classic and multitalented/adjustable nature of the SE846.

Jul 5, 2015 at 3:09 AM Post #11,942 of 22,945

But for the next Shure IEM, I'd like to see more treble extension, more flat / linear mids and a better soundstage. Then it will be perfect I think. So I think two drivers for the bass, 2 drivers for the mids (2 drivers are there for tuning purposes) and 2 drivers for the highs (the additional driver should be a super high frequency BA driver for more extension) should be good. Also the next Shure should sound less harsh. If you listen to the HD800, it has none of the harshness you hear with the Shure SE846 in the mids - treble.

I don't know, but maybe it's due to the pretty small tube diameter and single-bore design that Shure IEMs with BA transducers roll off pretty early in the highs.

Somebody mistaken me once as a bodyguard when I was wearing the Shure SE846, so they look good in public. IEM's like a JH Layla are way too big and I won't wear that in public. So Shure should try to keep the housing small like they are now for their next IEM.

biggrin.gif

Some years ago when Bluetooth audio wasn't as popular as today, I got mistaken for wearing a hearing aid when I was actually wearing a mono Bluetooth headset.

Jul 5, 2015 at 3:14 AM Post #11,943 of 22,945

I don't know, but maybe it's due to the pretty small tube diameter and single-bore design that Shure IEMs with BA transducers roll off pretty early in the highs...

If you haven't, you should check out/see 5-bore designed C/IEMs such as the EarWerkz Penta in person.  Now those bores are super small!  

Jul 5, 2015 at 3:42 AM Post #11,946 of 22,945

I don't know, but maybe it's due to the pretty small tube diameter and single-bore design that Shure IEMs with BA transducers roll off pretty early in the highs...

If you haven't, you should check out/see 5-bore designed C/IEMs such as the EarWerkz Penta in person.  Now those bores are super small!  

I've seen their quintuple-bore design on the Internet.

All of the IEMs that extend higher than Shures' IEMs have got either a wider tube diameter or separate bores for lows/mids/highs, so I guess that this could be the reason for the SE846 not having much better treble extension than the SE425 although you can definitely hear the improvement.

Jul 5, 2015 at 3:58 AM Post #11,947 of 22,945
  I've seen their quintuple-bore design on the Internet.

All of the IEMs that extend higher than Shures' IEMs have got either a wider tube diameter or separate bores for lows/mids/highs, so I guess that this could be the reason for the SE846 not having much better treble extension than the SE425 although you can definitely hear the improvement.

In person seeing the 5/quintuple-bore would give a better/completely accurate picture compared to the SE846's single bore, and shows just how large the SE846's bore is compared to the 5/quintuple-bore design.

I personally would not try to guess the exact reason why certain models have higher treble/treble extension/etc. than others.  I understand and acknowledge that there are more factors than "wider tube diameter or separate bores for lows/mids/highs" that contribute to the entire sound signature (including and not limited to treble extension) of a(n) C/IEM.

Jul 5, 2015 at 4:41 AM Post #11,948 of 22,945
I have no doubts that Shure went from 15-20K because that's roughly the human audible spectrum. Yeah it's cool that others can go higher and lower, but it's literally inaudible. 

Jul 5, 2015 at 4:53 AM Post #11,949 of 22,945
I am able to hear up to 18 kHz without much slope as I have taken care of my hearing and am rather on the young side of age and can say that with some music where there are overtones above 10 kHz, the Shure is missing the subtle sparkling in this area around up to 14 kHz.

On the other hand, as Moe said, the single bore design with the narrow diameter is probably not the only reason as the Westone 4R extends a bit higher than the Shure despite having the same tube diameter and length.

The SE846 is still great, but I am missing the extension above 10 kHz - the frequency drop is just too steep for the price, considering that many cheaper IEMs with BA transducers extend higher.

Jul 5, 2015 at 5:37 AM Post #11,950 of 22,945
... false alarm, I may need to do something about these...

It's not a hearing issue either. I've been spending the last few days testing things out as hard as I can. Did some online hearing tests using my non-wonky headphones and that's fine. I swapped the left/right and on several recordings the left earbud remained "dominant". I don't know what's going on but it's driving me absolutely crazy. I can't listen to them. The sound is CLEARLY off balance, especially in the bass area. 

Jul 5, 2015 at 8:07 AM Post #11,951 of 22,945
  ... false alarm, I may need to do something about these...

It's not a hearing issue either. I've been spending the last few days testing things out as hard as I can. Did some online hearing tests using my non-wonky headphones and that's fine. I swapped the left/right and on several recordings the left earbud remained "dominant". I don't know what's going on but it's driving me absolutely crazy. I can't listen to them. The sound is CLEARLY off balance, especially in the bass area. 

Have a look at the nozzle fit! It may not be exactly in place. (Happened to me after a filter change.)

Jul 5, 2015 at 9:46 AM Post #11,952 of 22,945
I'm going from the 4-driver single bore 846 to the 3-driver dual-bore UERM.  Just like DAPs, it's not just one aspect that makes it what it is.  It's the full implementation of all of it.  I really have no horse in the race re number of drivers.  Whatever sounds good is my touchstone.

As to treble roll-off, that is, to my ears, the biggest issue I have with the 846.  Other than that, they are completely wonderful.  And with some music I have the treble is just fine.  But with others, I really notice the lack of upper upper treble.  Part of that is mastering, but part of it is the roll-off.  If I can hear the sparkly bits in my car (Acura) but not with my Pono/846 listening to the same track, it's not me.  

Jul 5, 2015 at 10:55 AM Post #11,953 of 22,945
I'd like to know the answer to this too... anyone?

I own the ie80 and I have auditioned the SE846 straight out of my iPhone5 for maybe 45 minutes (is that enough disclaimer for ya), I was not nearly blown away as I was expecting, it felt like the signature was very similar and nothing jumped out at me. While I'm sure that the Shure is probably more resolving and less forgiving of bad recordings (and hey at 4x the price now), I just couldn't tell a night and day diff. The Westone UM Pro 50 on the other hand really kicked up the percussions and gave me a new perspective on the music I've been listening to for years, so I've decided to go for that instead.

Jul 5, 2015 at 11:33 AM Post #11,954 of 22,945
I own the ie80 and I have auditioned the SE846 straight out of my iPhone5 for maybe 45 minutes (is that enough disclaimer for ya), I was not nearly blown away as I was expecting, it felt like the signature was very similar and nothing jumped out at me. While I'm sure that the Shure is probably more resolving and less forgiving of bad recordings (and hey at 4x the price now), I just couldn't tell a night and day diff. The Westone UM Pro 50 on the other hand really kicked up the percussions and gave me a new perspective on the music I've been listening to for years, so I've decided to go for that instead.

Thanks for the feedback. I've had my IE8 for almost exactly 4 years, I'm happy with how they sound (the bass is a bit bloaty.., and they don't always maintain a good seal), but recently I've found myself need something with much better isolation. Plus change can be good sometimes...

SE846 owners, how's the isolation, pretty similar to other Shures? And how are they at very low volumes?

Jul 5, 2015 at 11:50 AM Post #11,955 of 22,945
Hey, so this is not really a fair comparison, but has anyone here listened to both the SE846 and the Sennheiser IE8 (or IE80)? If so, how different are the sound signatures?

Thanks for the feedback. I've had my IE8 for almost exactly 4 years, I'm happy with how they sound (the bass is a bit bloaty.., and they don't always maintain a good seal), but recently I've found myself need something with much better isolation. Plus change can be good sometimes...

SE846 owners, how's the isolation, pretty similar to other Shures? And how are they at very low volumes?

The SE846 has much better detail and higher resolution than the IE 8 to my ears, also it has a more neutral sonic balance and sounds more dynamic and impulsive. I think isolation is slightly better, but I haven't done a side-by-side comparison.

Between SE846 and IE 800 it's a tougher call, as the IE 800 has almost as high a resolution, but without equalization the bass is boomy and the treble sharp. Even with optimization on every level (individual equalization, SE846 with filterless filter tube), the SE846 is slightly superior in almost every respect, maybe with the exception of «musicality».

It depends on what you mean with «very low volumes», which I haven't tried with the IE 8. At lower than normal volumes the SE846 still sounds excellent, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back