Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Jun 19, 2015 at 7:05 PM Post #11,656 of 22,954
I suppose where it was a little on the brighter side of neutral (assuming the iPhone as the benchmark for purpose of this post), that if you have headphones / IEMs that are also on the brighter side of life, it is a bit of a recipe for disaster...

I didn't give it a chance, was using the SE846 (with white filters) and - it just so didn't work (then again, was comparing it the Chord Hugo, so - in itself, that wasn't a fair comparison)

Jun 20, 2015 at 12:39 PM Post #11,657 of 22,954

That was a problem with some devices. My G3 had no hiss and sounded on par with or better than my iPhone 6+, and those are known for quality sound output. In fact most measurements showed it had some excellent hardware in there, a flat output and a very low noise floor. I think the Galaxy S6 nudges the pair of them, but not by much. 

If you had a problem with your G3, then it was a problem with that G3, not the device when it functions properly. Not that it helps in this situation, but don't take that to mean the G3 had bad sound. On the contrary, it should sound EXCELLENT.

Ill call verizon again. Maybe I can get a new one out of them. But as I understood this was a software defect that all the phones had. I tired another G3 at the store and it did the same thing.

A new one would be nice anyway. We shall see :p

Jun 20, 2015 at 2:20 PM Post #11,658 of 22,954
I think it's either a flaw with Android (Kitkat and Lollipop) and the Snapdragon 800/801 SoC proessor. My LG G2 was exactly the same after an update to 4.4 and the only fix I could find was to use their quadbeat 2 earphones which seemed to cancel it out. Also my AKG K702 cancel it out although I believe it's more to do with the drive they need. 

Essentially the more sensitive the headphone/earphone, it will highlight this flaw. Essentially this cancels out the need for me to use it as a playback device. In a way, I'm glad I replaced it with the FiiO anyway which in comparison is far superior.

Jun 20, 2015 at 3:44 PM Post #11,659 of 22,954
  I think it's either a flaw with Android (Kitkat and Lollipop) and the Snapdragon 800/801 SoC proessor. My LG G2 was exactly the same after an update to 4.4 and the only fix I could find was to use their quadbeat 2 earphones which seemed to cancel it out. Also my AKG K702 cancel it out although I believe it's more to do with the drive they need. 

Essentially the more sensitive the headphone/earphone, it will highlight this flaw. Essentially this cancels out the need for me to use it as a playback device. In a way, I'm glad I replaced it with the FiiO anyway which in comparison is far superior.

I admit I'm on a Galaxy S6 now, but the G3 with the 846's didn't have that weird hiss at all. 

Jun 20, 2015 at 4:02 PM Post #11,660 of 22,954
Now it only exhibits between starting and stopping audio between applications for a period of 5 seconds at a time. Although I notice as long as the headset icon is engaged, it doesn't do this. It could be a problem between the microphone and headphone connection, being active when not in use.

Who knows?

Jun 20, 2015 at 4:35 PM Post #11,661 of 22,954
  Now it only exhibits between starting and stopping audio between applications for a period of 5 seconds at a time. Although I notice as long as the headset icon is engaged, it doesn't do this. It could be a problem between the microphone and headphone connection, being active when not in use.

Who knows?

THAT is a problem the G3 has. The headphone jack had problems sometimes recognizing the device as headphones versus a headset and it would make the tracks skip or pause. There were just hardware oddities on that dang thing. 

Jun 21, 2015 at 1:22 AM Post #11,662 of 22,954
I'm back with another issue. Ive been listening to my 846 for some time now I was swearing to myself that the sound in the left channel was different.

So I went here: http://plasticity.szynalski.com/tone-generator.htm

I moved through some tones and noticed a high pitched ring associated with all tones, but mostly noticeable around 500-600Hz. It sound stupid, and its only slightly noticeable as admittedly it took me some time to notice it. But the thing is I was able to notice it and it drives me nuts.

I tried switch the left and right wires around to verify it was not my sound card. I even switch the IEMs on my ears, wearing them upside down just to see if the sound traveled. It did. Addi tonally I adjusted my Nozels and tried new filters and tips. I could still notice the sound.

I emailed Julie at shure to see what she has to say about it. It really sucks because they sent me a brand new pair but I really cant live with this.

I am also very disinterested in sending them back in for service AGAIN but I don't know what else to do. Hopefully she will have a solution. Has anyone else experienced something like this.

Ive been loving my 846 the past year but recently this month has me really regretting the purchase - maybe not regret - but certainly feeling sad.

Jun 21, 2015 at 1:44 AM Post #11,663 of 22,954
  I'm back with another issue. Ive been listening to my 846 for some time now I was swearing to myself that the sound in the left channel was different.

So I went here: http://plasticity.szynalski.com/tone-generator.htm

I moved through some tones and noticed a high pitched ring associated with all tones, but mostly noticeable around 500-600Hz. It sound stupid, and its only slightly noticeable as admittedly it took me some time to notice it. But the thing is I was able to notice it and it drives me nuts.

I tried switch the left and right wires around to verify it was not my sound card. I even switch the IEMs on my ears, wearing them upside down just to see if the sound traveled. It did. Addi tonally I adjusted my Nozels and tried new filters and tips. I could still notice the sound.

I emailed Julie at shure to see what she has to say about it. It really sucks because they sent me a brand new pair but I really cant live with this.

I am also very disinterested in sending them back in for service AGAIN but I don't know what else to do. Hopefully she will have a solution. Has anyone else experienced something like this.

Ive been loving my 846 the past year but recently this month has me really regretting the purchase - maybe not regret - but certainly feeling sad.

Very bad luck all around. I'm sorry for your pain. Shure probably makes ten's of thousands of these every year, more than any other iem company. Just based on percentage there will be some defects. It is insane that you had to go through this but they can't subject every pair to complete testing before it leaves the factory. They depend on their suppliers and sometimes a bad driver slips through.

I have a set without problems and I hope you get yours sorted as they really are very good iem's when not defective.

Jun 21, 2015 at 9:47 AM Post #11,664 of 22,954
  Very bad luck all around. I'm sorry for your pain. Shure probably makes ten's of thousands of these every year, more than any other iem company. Just based on percentage there will be some defects. It is insane that you had to go through this but they can't subject every pair to complete testing before it leaves the factory. They depend on their suppliers and sometimes a bad driver slips through.

I have a set without problems and I hope you get yours sorted as they really are very good iem's when not defective.

Yeah I get that, I dont really blame shure for this but It just really sucks because I just went 2 weeks without my IEMs and now I have this.

My first set out of the box was fine, loved them. I really hope they get back to me and offer a solution.

Jun 21, 2015 at 11:30 AM Post #11,665 of 22,954
I knew I was not crazy. Spot the difference between the two IEMs

In case you cant see it...

Notice how on one of those Resistors (?) the solder has bridged to the other small black chip on the board.

I knew I could hear something wrong with it. I thought I was crazy or paranoid. Its a noticeable static sound towards the low mids.

Jun 21, 2015 at 7:33 PM Post #11,667 of 22,954
That was a problem with some devices. My G3 had no hiss and sounded on par with or better than my iPhone 6+, and those are known for quality sound output. In fact most measurements showed it had some excellent hardware in there, a flat output and a very low noise floor. I think the Galaxy S6 nudges the pair of them, but not by much. 

If you had a problem with your G3, then it was a problem with that G3, not the device when it functions properly. Not that it helps in this situation, but don't take that to mean the G3 had bad sound. On the contrary, it should sound EXCELLENT.
would you know how the s5 compares to the s6? I have the s5 and think it sounds great with power amp.the amp isn't as loud as some other phones but I think qulaity of sound is pretty good actually imo

Jun 22, 2015 at 12:34 AM Post #11,668 of 22,954

Notice how on one of those Resistors (?) the solder has bridged to the other small black chip on the board.

I knew I could hear something wrong with it. I thought I was crazy or paranoid. Its a noticeable static sound towards the low mids.

Wow, great job zeroing in very quickly on exactly what the problem was, as well as the underlying cause.  It's a bit disturbing that this kind of sloppy manufacturing error 1) occurred in the first place and 2) there was no QC procedure to catch it.

I hope Shure are appropriately grateful that you brought this to their attention, and that you finally get a working set of monitors soon!

Jun 22, 2015 at 3:18 AM Post #11,669 of 22,954
  Wow, great job zeroing in very quickly on exactly what the problem was, as well as the underlying cause.  It's a bit disturbing that this kind of sloppy manufacturing error 1) occurred in the first place and 2) there was no QC procedure to catch it.

I hope Shure are appropriately grateful that you brought this to their attention, and that you finally get a working set of monitors soon!

Oh come on. These are insanely intricate pieces of hardware, at least one portion of which is hand-made by a single man in Japan. To expect there never to be an error is to somehow believe that no manufactured products have faults in them. 

Jun 22, 2015 at 3:31 AM Post #11,670 of 22,954

After reading your post... i went to look at my 846...
to my horror... both sides of my 846 has the same bridged soldering...
is it supposed to be bridged or this is a manufacturing error?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back