Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
May 26, 2015 at 4:33 PM Post #11,358 of 22,945
Like anyone will tell ya it's mostly an ear burn-in rather than a physical burn-in.

This. Which makes me wonder what benefit comes from un-attended burn in, especially of a wire?

IMO, cable burn in should be done to the genres and dac amp that you love. I don't know about white noise.

May 26, 2015 at 6:11 PM Post #11,359 of 22,945
May 26, 2015 at 8:31 PM Post #11,360 of 22,945
I wonder if anyone using ALO mK3 with 846? how it sounds? as I prefer more clear / analytical sound! not if mk3 works well with 846!

I have the B+ which was the last iteration that supposedly has the least amount of noise and the amount of hiss on SE846 is pretty bad so I would say "no" to your question. And also, impedance adapters will not work. I tried a couple and it kills the sound quality altogether. It's too bad because the amp's sound signature is exactly what you are asking for.

May 26, 2015 at 11:26 PM Post #11,361 of 22,945
  This. Which makes me wonder what benefit comes from un-attended burn in, especially of a wire?

Well at the very least if you let a pair of headphones/amp/dac/speakers or whatever it may be be burned in for hundreds of hours in a short amount of time, it allows you to fully test it's quality. 

While the item in question fails within that burn-in period you now know that it wasn't built to last and most likely still within the 30 days which most places will uphold an exchange or return. 

For example, I had an Alpha Prime a short while ago and while burning it in I noticed a buzzing in a speaker on one of the sweep files that I would have never noticed without doing it. I know it's not the same thing but it's in the same ballpark if still playing a different game. :p

May 27, 2015 at 12:51 PM Post #11,362 of 22,945
Here is my version of a wide mouthed triple flange: 

I remember reading on here that you could mod an existing tip to work with thicker mouthed tips. My brain went to work. Needless to say I'll let the pics do the talking but I'll list the parts. A wide mouthed tripple flange I had collected through the years probably from another Shure or maybe Turbines.. not sure tbh. The red tip was from a worn Westone foamy and the O-Rings are just some I had lying around. Not sure on the size. It's easy to gauge (hah!) it. 

This is what blew my mind but it wasn't secure enough and I feared the flanges coming out in my ear so I thought I'd secure it better and didn't want to try glue yet.

Cut up some heatshrink tubing from a multipack from Lowes/Home Depot to fit:

The red plug did shrink some as well but it tightened up but not enough to not go on. I'll mark that down as a future note where if it gets loose I'll just heat it up again and have it go.

The fit is very similar to the included triple flanges that come with the SE846 but they sound very open with all of the proper sparkle and bass that you want. Isolation is better than stock triples though for some reason. I think the wider mouth allows for more room to breathe and bounce off of. Soundstage is much much larger but still limited to IEM size. Sound was oh so very sibilant but no worse than switching to a silicone. Basically I have the benefit of having the bass of foam and sparkle of silicone and isolation of triple. 

Thoughts?

May 27, 2015 at 1:03 PM Post #11,363 of 22,945
Just posted on the Shure blog; How to wear earphones. http://blog.shure.com/how-to-properly-fit-and-wear-shure-earphones/?utm_source=EmailDirect.com&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=Weekly+15+May27+FINAL

May 27, 2015 at 6:45 PM Post #11,364 of 22,945
Does anyone know if the Cozoy Astrapi pairs well with the se846?  I'm trying to find a mini-DAC

May 27, 2015 at 10:21 PM Post #11,365 of 22,945
  Does anyone know if the Cozoy Astrapi pairs well with the se846?  I'm trying to find a mini-DAC

Funny, I just made a relevant post to your question on the Astrapi Impressions thread. Unfortunately the answer is no. For some reason the Astrapi has massive gain, which makes using very sensitive iem's near impossible. I can't even listen to them on the lowest volume out of my iphone. The astrapi makes the SE846's just way too loud. 

May 27, 2015 at 10:24 PM Post #11,366 of 22,945
Funny, I just made a relevant post to your question on the Astrapi Impressions thread. Unfortunately the answer is no. For some reason the Astrapi has massive gain, which makes using very sensitive iem's near impossible. I can't even listen to them on the lowest volume out of my iphone. The astrapi makes the SE846's just way too loud. 

Darn it, guess HRT dsp it is then. Thx for the feedback, appreciate it

May 27, 2015 at 10:32 PM Post #11,367 of 22,945
Hey guys, 

Long time no post. Ive had my 846 for probably a year now, and I use them a lot. This is not to say I don't take care of them though.  I do live sound and work with PA systems so I often use my 846 daily. 

I am noticing that I get poor connectivity now. The cable seems to be showing its age, I was at the point when I rotated the MMCX it would cut out. I emailed Shure and they sent me a cleaning kit beta test they called it. Basically some small cleaning tools and cups for alcohol. It worked well but I noticed that one of the pins in my IEMs was broken? 

I responded to the emails I had been exchanging with an employee named Mitch (also my name haha) and he referred me to the service department. I think someone by the name of Julie responded and basically told me to fill out a service order and send them in. 

After checking that out I was a little annoyed that I had to pay shipping and wait for Shure to send my IEMs out at their leisure, so I put it off. I'm still a little confused by the process. Can anyone explain it to me better? What are your personal experiences with Shure support? 

May 27, 2015 at 11:09 PM Post #11,368 of 22,945
When I sent in a pair of SE535 headphones to Shure the reacted very quickly and I was extremely pleased with the turn around time. I broke off a nozzle on the 535 and as such they needed to send me a replacement and they got it done really fast. YMMV but I'm sold on their service.

May 27, 2015 at 11:09 PM Post #11,369 of 22,945
Hey guys, 

Long time no post. Ive had my 846 for probably a year now, and I use them a lot. This is not to say I don't take care of them though.  I do live sound and work with PA systems so I often use my 846 daily. 

I am noticing that I get poor connectivity now. The cable seems to be showing its age, I was at the point when I rotated the MMCX it would cut out. I emailed Shure and they sent me a cleaning kit beta test they called it. Basically some small cleaning tools and cups for alcohol. It worked well but I noticed that one of the pins in my IEMs was broken? 

I responded to the emails I had been exchanging with an employee named Mitch (also my name haha) and he referred me to the service department. I think someone by the name of Julie responded and basically told me to fill out a service order and send them in. 

After checking that out I was a little annoyed that I had to pay shipping and wait for Shure to send my IEMs out at their leisure, so I put it off. I'm still a little confused by the process. Can anyone explain it to me better? What are your personal experiences with Shure support? 

My experience with Shure service was excellent.

You fill out the one page form you get for Shure's website and send in your IEMs with a photocopy of your proof of purchase. Make sure whatever company you choose has tracking and insurance. A day or so after you know Shure has received them call the service department to gently ask what is your status. If you want same day turn around pretty much guaranteed check the box on the Shure form for overnight return ($20 cost).

I sent mine overnight via the U.S. Post Office on a Monday with $1000 insurance (total cost $25) and checked the box for $20 overnight return. I received a brand new pair on Thursday. I have dealt with Anthony and Tim and both were beyond helpful. Julie is the manager of the service department but I have never spoken with her.

After my experience with customer service, Shure has made a customer for life.

Bottom line, $45 for a four day turn around is cheap in my book.

May 28, 2015 at 8:42 AM Post #11,370 of 22,945
I had an accident with my SE425 and broke one of the ear pieces. After arranging a RMA recall, I arranged to change the driver part which clipped back on new driver part. Good service.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back