Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Mar 21, 2015 at 8:25 AM Post #10,186 of 22,960
Found out I spent $1000 on audio this month. Got all the new gear I wanted, should of got the 846 but I wouldn't feel comfortable carrying it around. My Noble 4 + Estron cable retail at 710AUD for both, and least they don't look expensive like the 846.

Mar 21, 2015 at 8:39 AM Post #10,187 of 22,960
From what I've read about the 846, and my brief audition with them, you're better off with the K10 if you don't like mid forward 'phones. Noble tip the mids really slightly, but not enough to do anything. The 846 has really nice bass, but wouldn't it misrepresent a song?
And also, I don't get how you can carry a $1000 IEM and not get rolled.

Mar 21, 2015 at 8:48 AM Post #10,188 of 22,960
Just wanted to share my experience of purchasing the SE846 today.

I still remember when I bought my first IEM UM3X some years ago I wasn't impressed with it at the start, and I only grew to like it a lot after a while until I lost it. Then 2 years ago I bought the UE900 because of all the rave reviews but I was left utterly disappointed with the sound and build quality (shell broke after a month and my second copy's shell came off after 3 months, had to glue the shell back together because I was too lazy to replace it through warranty again)

The UE900 left such a bad taste for me that I shoved it in a drawer somewhere sometime ago and bought the Vsonic GR07 and just called it a day. The GR07 was alright... was inexpensive and much better than the UE900, the seal wasn't very good but the sound was not too bad. I was content until the wire broke and I started looking online for my next IEM.

After seeing so many rave reviews for the 846 it got me interested. However, I was really reluctant because of my experience with the UE900.

After a few days I decided to pull the trigger and when I came home today and put them on, it just kinda blew my mind. I must admit, I wasn't expecting much from my previous bad experience but seriously, the sound exceeded my expectations just a bit too much
gs1000.gif
. I'm not an audiophile or anything, I use it with an HTC M8 with no amps or anything and I also can't quantify what I hear into words, but I know when I'm listening to something special. I'm not saying this because I am just a normal enthusiast that just spent $800 and want to justify my purchase. I've made much more expensive purchases in my life and more often than not I come away disappointed, usually from a price to value perspective, and I'm not afraid to admit it and express it. The sound made me so content with the purchase that I truly believe with this IEM you really are getting your money's worth (thank god because there's no such thing as refund or return where I live
bigsmile_face.gif
).

Just my little honest experience of getting these IEMs for the average music straight from phone user. If you can spare the cash this is really the one to get.

I know that sound is very subjective and I apologize to those who own the UE900 and think they are amazing, this is just my very subjective opinion.

Mar 21, 2015 at 8:55 AM Post #10,189 of 22,960
From what I've read about the 846, and my brief audition with them, you're better off with the K10 if you don't like mid forward 'phones. Noble tip the mids really slightly, but not enough to do anything. The 846 has really nice bass, but wouldn't it misrepresent a song?

You worry about getting rolled with the 8s because they are expensive, but suggest and even more expensive iem?

Id also say if you like mid forward phones get the 8s, if you like sub bass that is near perfection, get the 8s. As far as the 8s misrepresenting music? I never heard them that way... They never added bass where it didn't belong... I've owned quite a few TOTL IEMS, this were one of my favorites. Some people prefer this sound signature, some prefer that other companies sound signature. To each his own.

Mar 21, 2015 at 9:28 AM Post #10,190 of 22,960

You worry about getting rolled with the 8s because they are expensive, but suggest and even more expensive iem?

Id also say if you like mid forward phones get the 8s, if you like sub bass that is near perfection, get the 8s. As far as the 8s misrepresenting music? I never heard them that way... They never added bass where it didn't belong... I've owned quite a few TOTL IEMS, this were one of my favorites. Some people prefer this sound signature, some prefer that other companies sound signature. To each his own.

Haha good point! I've got a borderline concussion so things I say may not make sense, but I guess people don't see the money value in earphones so they wouldn't try to roll you. Just trying to talk myself out of selling all my audio gear for the 846..... should i or shouldn't i

I love Shure's mids though, and the fit, everything. It's tempting to pull the trigger on everything I own and fire sale it all and buy the 846.

Mar 21, 2015 at 9:51 AM Post #10,192 of 22,960
To me the mids are the selling point.  Voices are right there with you.  Bass is good, with lots of detail.  Treble is great.  My only quibble is with treble roll-off at the very top, I think Shure wanted to avoid sibilance but I also think it went a bit far.

That said, with three filters (plus you can mod two of them) and a wide variety of tip choices you can really tailor the sound to your liking.  .After fussing around with them for a month I think I've finally got them where I want them (source and files also play a role, as does using them single-ended or balanced).  

All in all, very very good iems. 

Mar 21, 2015 at 9:54 AM Post #10,193 of 22,960
To me the mids are the selling point.  Voices are right there with you.  Bass is good, with lots of detail.  Treble is great.  My only quibble is with treble roll-off at the very top, I think Shure wanted to avoid sibilance but I also think it went a bit far.

That said, with three filters (plus you can mod two of them) and a wide variety of tip choices you can really tailor the sound to your liking.  .After fussing around with them for a month I think I've finally got them where I want them (source and files also play a role, as does using them single-ended or balanced).  

All in all, very very good iems. 

Pulled the trigger, selling everything I have audio wise for the 846. Headphones don't really do much for me, the Audeze are okay (really good sound, but okay because only when you're sitting down) but way too heavy, the T1 is just a proof of concept (I could write a lot on why I think that but nah)

The problem is I didn't work out the math on the 846 before buying all this stuff. I'll come back in a bit with my 846 impressions.

I want something with DT880 bass and Noble 4 clarity. The 846 seems to do that.

Mar 21, 2015 at 10:02 AM Post #10,195 of 22,960
I'm still not sold on my new 846's. I've had them a few weeks. Have used Shure IEM's in the past. Have a perfect fit and used the different filters. Still, prefer my Sennheiser IEM's. I'm going to give it another Month. Something is seriously missing in these Shures for me to even question them. After all the great reviews and such, I hope I begin to appreciate them. I really want to. I've even had them serviced last week. Service is excellent. Nothing is wrong with mine, technically.

Mar 21, 2015 at 10:12 AM Post #10,197 of 22,960
I'm still not sold on my new 846's. I've had them a few weeks. Have used Shure IEM's in the past. Have a perfect fit and used the different filters. Still, prefer my Sennheiser IEM's. I'm going to give it another Month. Something is seriously missing in these Shures for me to even question them. After all the great reviews and such, I hope I begin to appreciate them. I really want to. I've even had them serviced last week. Service is excellent. Nothing is wrong with mine, technically.

Going from experience the source will matter quite a lot for something like 846.  Specifically the output impedance needs to be low. More so a decent source will be required to realize their true performance. Not sure what source you're using atm, but one common mistake I see is people assuming they spent $1000 on an IEM and it should perform at $1000 from their phone. 

They just paid $1k why shouldn't that be the case?  Because this hobby, unfortunately, means you can't really have one without the other. With an IEM comes its scaling ability, a glass ceiling if you will it can reach too, and the source is what takes it there. With a cheaper IEM its not so much a concern because it will top out before a capable player can extract any more performance. Same situation with SE846 in reverse. Its like having a volume dial which goes to 20 (SE846), but a basic source will only reach 10/20 of their performance level.

Mar 21, 2015 at 10:13 AM Post #10,198 of 22,960
What do you feel is missing?

Well, I guess the fact that they don't sound any better than my cheaper Sennheiser's. And I actually prefer the sound of the Sennheiser's. They are easier to use. No cable behind the ear and insert into the ear much easier. I still really want to like/justify my new Shure's. Like I said, I'm going to give them more time. I really want to like them as the best IEM I have ever had. I have faith.

Mar 21, 2015 at 10:15 AM Post #10,199 of 22,960
What do you feel is missing?

Well, I guess the fact that they don't sound any better than my cheaper Sennheiser's. And I actually prefer the sound of the Sennheiser's. They are easier to use. No cable behind the ear and insert into the ear much easier. I still really want to like/justify my new Shure's. Like I said, I'm going to give them more time. I really want to like them as the best IEM I have ever had. I have faith.

What source are you using?

Mar 21, 2015 at 10:17 AM Post #10,200 of 22,960
Going from experience the source will matter quite a lot for something like 846.  Specifically the output impedance needs to be low. More so a decent source will be required to realize their true performance. Not sure what source you're using atm, but one common mistake I see is people assuming they spent $1000 on an IEM and it should perform at $1000 from their phone. 

They just paid $1k why shouldn't that be the case?  Because this hobby, unfortunately, means you can't really have one without the other. With an IEM comes its scaling ability, a glass ceiling if you will it can reach too, and the source is what takes it there. With a cheaper IEM its not so much a concern because it will top out before a capable player can extract any more performance. Same situation with SE846 in revrse. Its like having a volume dial which goes to 20 (SE846), but a basic source will only reach 10/20. 

This makes total sense. Maybe I got too much IEM for my player. I uses use AFLAC files on my iPhone 6. But, I have read and heard from others with this combination that they sound amazing. So, I will give it some more time with them. Thanks for this detailed explanation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back