Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Mar 10, 2015 at 10:46 AM Post #9,931 of 22,946
I'm too late on canceling the shipment of Aune B1. Should I just try it or just return it?

Problem is, even after searching I cannot find the rated output impedance of Aune B1 for you. For a normal size headphone this wouldn't matter 'as much'. When dealing with SE846 at 9ohms and a crossover the amp/sources output impedance plays a big role in how they'll sound, high output impedance can really screw up the sound. For example, 10ohm pair of Dunu DN-1000 plugged into JDS C421 with about 8-10ohm output impedance sounds completely hollow like someone sucked out the mids completely. So we can't even tell you if its worth trying. I guess the next step would be contacting Aune via email, see if they'll tell you, it would need to be very low to be completely pure with SE846.

Chinese site reports the output impedance to be 10 ohms? I'm not sure which gain and current settings it was tested at, or maybe they just copied the stat from the T1.
http://www.erji.net/read.php?tid=1775246

Anyway looking at the m8 teardown, seems like it has a good amp section but uses qualcomm's built in dac, which isn't really good. Ideally amp + dac like the C5D @~$250, I would return it.

Mar 10, 2015 at 10:51 AM Post #9,932 of 22,946
Chinese site reports the output impedance to be 10 ohms? I'm not sure which gain and current settings it was tested at, or maybe they just copied the stat from the T1.

Anyway looking at the m8 teardown, seems like it has a good amp section but uses qualcomm's built in dac, which isn't really good. Ideally amp + dac like the C5D @~$250, I would return it.
I would like to return it too from all the reading but it's not that easy for me. I don't really have the time to go to the post office to return the package. In addition it will cost me something like 40$ to go and come back.

Mar 10, 2015 at 12:47 PM Post #9,934 of 22,946
It took me about two weeks to form my opinion on the scs.

They're by far the most comfortable ear pieces ever!! The silicoN is so much more comfortable than Acrylics. Seals are better too!!
There's also a ~10% improvement in sq. Mostly tighter bass and more pronounced treble presence. I decided to switch my silver cables to a silver/copper Hybrid which Has a noticable bump on the midrange.

Then I decided to tesT all my available filters and settled on modded blaCk.

I found my sweet spot and I cannot be happier with the overall sq. everything is just so perfect now!! I probably won't be usinG my jh13 for a long time now. In comparison my jh13 sounds boring and lack textures to my ears!

one more interestimg point, my scs are big and I can fit my 846s in very dee Ive received my scs for two weeks now. After spending some quality time with them, I would also like to contribute my $.02 on the fit and sound.

it is by far the most comfortable ear pieces ever!! The silicoN is so much more comfy than Acrylics.

There's also a ~10% improvement in sq. Mostly tighter bass and more pronounced treble presence. I decided to switch my silver cables to a silver/copper Hybrid which Has noticable effect on the midrange.

Then I decided to tesT all my available filters and settle on modded blaCk.

I found my sweet spot and I cannot be happier with the overall sq. everything is just so perfect now!! I probably won't be usinG my jh13 for a long time now. In comparison my jh13 sounds boring and lack textures to my ears!

Oh and my scs are big so the 846s fit deeply & securely... Awesome!! I now have a deeper appreciation for these babies!!

Mar 10, 2015 at 2:16 PM Post #9,935 of 22,946

I would like to return it too from all the reading but it's not that easy for me. I don't really have the time to go to the post office to return the package. In addition it will cost me something like 40$ to go and come back.

Try it out, I have a vamp verza rated at 16 ohms, I use it because it's small and connects direct to iphone. I found the only problem is a lack of roll off on the low end. The rest is fine. Granted don't confuse a cheaper dac amp with ohm miss match to just a cheap dac amp. Another words quality is important, ohm match is another factor. I use hugo so both are perfect but you get what you pay for.

Mar 10, 2015 at 3:10 PM Post #9,936 of 22,946
Try it out, I have a vamp verza rated at 16 ohms, I use it because it's small and connects direct to iphone. I found the only problem is a lack of roll off on the low end. The rest is fine. Granted don't confuse a cheaper dac amp with ohm miss match to just a cheap dac amp. Another words quality is important, ohm match is another factor. I use hugo so both are perfect but you get what you pay for.

I have found results that are hit and miss with my 846 with regards to sources with higher output impedances - my first RSA amp/dac - the Predator (OI unknown) seemed to roll off the low frequencies - everything sounded fine except I wasn't getting the famous bump out of the low frequency BA - then I had a C5D and it sounded great - then I got an ALO International (not the plus "+" model) with a higher output impedance, and the 8's sound brilliant - clear and clean with great sub & mid-bass response. I liked the ALO house sound so much, I got a dedicated USB amp/dac, The Island - which has I believe a low OI (although I cannot find the spec anywhere and ALO is mute on the subject) and it sounds great..... 

The one place I wished it sounded a bit better was straight out of my iPhone 6 - I can tell there is some wackiness in the frequency response, but it sounds good out and about, so I am not too worried - and I often use my Shure mic cable with the 8's and my UM Pro50 - they have a higher impedance so they sound fine out of the phone....

The SE846 can be a tricky partner, but when you attain synergy, they are brilliant.

Mar 10, 2015 at 8:03 PM Post #9,937 of 22,946
Hey guys, I'm thinking about buying the X1 for the 846s... is that a good idea or a complete waste?

Thought about the A17 but X1 seems to have a richer sound for less money... and pretty similar to the X5 too.

If you got any DAP or smartphone + DAC combo to share I'm interested. Not really on a budget but I would like the best bang for the buck.

Mar 10, 2015 at 11:06 PM Post #9,938 of 22,946
So after reading all the reply. I decided that I should just return the Aune B1 that is coming to me tomorrow for a full refund. My intention is to use my HTC one M8 as a player. As a result what would be the best solution to improve it sound quality. I would like to spend somewhere around the $200 price point. 

Mar 10, 2015 at 11:52 PM Post #9,939 of 22,946
As far as portable source goes.. I'm going to replace my HTC One M7 with a new M9... that's about it. I'm mostly using SE846 with my desktop Schiit stack on low-gain, though.

Mar 11, 2015 at 2:17 AM Post #9,941 of 22,946
Mar 11, 2015 at 2:22 AM Post #9,942 of 22,946
  So after reading all the reply. I decided that I should just return the Aune B1 that is coming to me tomorrow for a full refund. My intention is to use my HTC one M8 as a player. As a result what would be the best solution to improve it sound quality. I would like to spend somewhere around the $200 price point. 

Assuming you need to be portable and if you only need an amp, then JDS Labs C5. If you need amp/dac then C5D for $60 more. Basically 0 Ohm impedance and great product support. Very low noise floor to boot. If you really want to turn up the bass the C5/C5D have a 6 and 9 db bass boost option. I personally use the C5 with no bass boost and pretty happy with it.

Mar 11, 2015 at 3:18 AM Post #9,944 of 22,946
  wow, how often does that come up and any suggestions on where to find such a deal?

Not often at all, and no.  
bigsmile_face.gif

There are people on this thread that were able to obtain their SE846s for as low as high $600s - $700s.  Not sure exactly where the best deal is nowadays, but I would suggest searching this thread for member's posts where they list websites that are authorized vendors.  If you really don't care (and Shure may even service you regardless [don't count on that 100%]) pertaining to authorized vendors, you can just purchase on fleabay, or search the classifieds on Head-Fi for possible listings.  You can also try to call the vendors and negotiate a lower price as well.  If you do a little searching, you'll be able to find one for a great price.

If you decide to purchase the SE846, welcome to the club!

Mar 11, 2015 at 4:31 AM Post #9,945 of 22,946
  Hey guys, I'm thinking about buying the X1 for the 846s... is that a good idea or a complete waste?

Thought about the A17 but X1 seems to have a richer sound for less money... and pretty similar to the X5 too.

If you got any DAP or smartphone + DAC combo to share I'm interested. Not really on a budget but I would like the best bang for the buck.

For the price the X1 is a good DAP with low output impedance and rather low noise floor.
The sony has got a higher output impedance than the FiiO and therefore you might hear a slightly bent frequency response.
For the price of the Sony you could also get the FiiO X3 or iBasso DX50 (but the iBasso has got a rather high noise floor).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back