Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Mar 6, 2015 at 2:51 AM Post #9,811 of 22,945
  Here is my plan. I am using white teflon tape like they use to wrap pipe threads and wrapping the shaft. Then I am placing one thickness of scotch tape on it to hold it in place. I am being careful to start the tape back from the very tip of the shaft a few millimeters so as to make it easy to get the rubber center of the new tip on for mounting. If this works I can use any tip.

Crazy...just buy the Sensaphonics custom sleeves for a measly $200 and never look back, they can be cleaned and re-used indefinitely.  Tips are for the birds, looking forward to ditching mine ASAP

Mar 6, 2015 at 3:00 AM Post #9,812 of 22,945

Just curious, what are you comparing to ("best IEMs")?

I was trying to point out a particular weakness while applauding the 846 for all the really good things it does. There are many high end iem's that win on this one score regarding instrument separation and sound stage. That would include the ie800, W60, and the akg3003. It would be even more obvious with more expensive units like the K10u or the JH Lyla that would be a clear win on this one point. 

I was only referring to one aspect of the sound as compared to similar priced and more expensive iem's. There is no perfect headphone and so far, there is no perfect iem.

Mar 6, 2015 at 3:09 AM Post #9,813 of 22,945

Crazy...just buy the Sensaphonics custom sleeves for a measly $200 and never look back, they can be cleaned and re-used indefinitely.  Tips are for the birds, looking forward to ditching mine ASAP

I may take your suggestion but if you check my location you would notice that it is not as easy to get the ear impression done here. Then the process of sending it overseas myself as I doubt any local dealer wants to bother with this. I may do it anyway. I think from my location it would cost much more. I might as well just get a ciem done through a dealer instead but the wait time here could be many months. Then there is always the threat of a refit.

Mar 6, 2015 at 5:58 AM Post #9,814 of 22,945

Just did a search in your area (Thurso, Scotland) and they have an audiology department at Dunbar Hospital, in Thurso.  If they are not able to make impressions, you can also call and find out in one of these hospitals:

This service is available in the following hospitals (most of these do not look too far from you)
Raigmore Hospital (Main base)
Caithness General Hospital, Wick  
Dunbar Hospital, Thurso
Lawson Memorial Hospital, Golspie
Mackinnon Hospital, Broadford
Portree Hospital, Skye
Belford Hospital, Fort William
Community Clinic, Fort William
Ross Memorial Hospital, Dingwall

For people living in Argyll and Bute the contact is 
Audiology Department
Lorn and Islands District General Hospital
Glengallen Road
Oban  PA344HH
Tel : 01631 788993

I found this out via the website link: http://www.nhshighland.scot.nhs.uk/Services/Pages/AudiologyDepartment.aspx

If any of these places can create impressions, you can have them use the SCS impression instructions (http://www.sensaphonics.com/Ear%20Impressions%20How2.pdf) and can order online as well (http://store.sensaphonics.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=Shure+Sleeves).  You can email Claudia at Sensaphonics (saveyourears@sensaphonics.com) and she will be able to help you out with ordering, shipping, etcetera.  You can also PM me with any questions as well if you'd like.

If you decide to go custom, good luck to you!  
bigsmile_face.gif

Just did a search in your area (Thurso, Scotland) and they have an audiology department at Dunbar Hospital, in Thurso.  If they are not able to make impressions, you can also call and find out in one of these hospitals:

This service is available in the following hospitals (most of these do not look too far from you)
Raigmore Hospital (Main base)
Caithness General Hospital, Wick  
Dunbar Hospital, Thurso
Lawson Memorial Hospital, Golspie
Mackinnon Hospital, Broadford
Portree Hospital, Skye
Belford Hospital, Fort William
Community Clinic, Fort William
Ross Memorial Hospital, Dingwall

For people living in Argyll and Bute the contact is 
Audiology Department
Lorn and Islands District General Hospital
Glengallen Road
Oban  PA344HH
Tel : 01631 788993

I found this out via the website link: http://www.nhshighland.scot.nhs.uk/Services/Pages/AudiologyDepartment.aspx

If any of these places can create impressions, you can have them use the SCS impression instructions (http://www.sensaphonics.com/Ear%20Impressions%20How2.pdf) and can order online as well (http://store.sensaphonics.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=Shure+Sleeves).  You can email Claudia at Sensaphonics (saveyourears@sensaphonics.com) and she will be able to help you out with ordering, shipping, etcetera.  You can also PM me with any questions as well if you'd like.

If you decide to go custom, good luck to you!  
bigsmile_face.gif

Hi Moedawg. Many, Many thanks for taking the time to do this,it is greatly appreciated. I will make an appointment with Dunbar. I did not know that Hospitals could do this.. I am away for a couple of weeks,but will get on to it straight away. I am going custom. Very many thanks.

Mar 6, 2015 at 10:47 AM Post #9,815 of 22,945
Hey All

I have been a bit distracted from the world of sweet sweet music delivered to my brain via my delivery system of choice for what appears t be 1000 posts. Yet it has only 6- 8 weeks.

Y vacation, if I can call it such can be summed up thusly

I can report that while in Palm Beach the 8s performed perfectly in all conditions AND the SCS had the added benefit of stopping wind induced earaches.. Yes it was cold and windy.

The Beaches were filled with Very big young people with VERY bad tattoos and a plethora of Beats headphones...

You all no doubt read about how the ISIS 8th century invasionary flotilla of Psycho/Pedio drones (If we can't call them Islamo-facists or Islamic Extremists... that is better than "violent extremists")  was driven back/routed on the Beaches of South Florida's Atlantic coast.

What you may not have read about or seen were the forces that repelled them. - an Army of mindless Beats Drones Commanded by 8s.

The Beats serve a useful purpose on the Atlantic Coast as they serve as excellent Defensive Projectiles used to drive waves of ISIS fighters coming from the East...  While the 8s are a poor blunt object they have the AI inside so We had the Brain Bug with the skill and heart of Patton in the form of the 8s to lead the Drones.... The mindless ISIS medieval hoards were easily driven back by what they perceived as magic (Oh those 8th century minds) 

I have since my return and debriefing been up to my eyeballs in winter and renovation plans that have taken on a life of their own.... Sadly this may temporarily hobble my desire to upgrade my DAC etc to better please and serve the 8s and the All powerful AI

I am however gladdened that while my purchases have been put on hold at least there are as far as I can see no new too cool DAP out there so I at least I will not have added wants/needs on my list.

Personally I believe the US Government should buy the 8s the system it craves, for had I not been  Palm Beach with my 8s at the time of the invasion the outcome would likely not been so triumphant for the Forces of Reason and Keepers of the Enlightenment.... Without the 8s the Beats were just deadweight without direction....Not that the 8s don't appreciate their Congressional Medal of Honour but ..... 

Hope everyone is well and enjoying the fruits of Western Civilization

Mar 6, 2015 at 11:04 AM Post #9,816 of 22,945
Welcome back monty a refreshing divergence from tips this, and ear moulds that, medicle grade rubber versus foams. Filters and mods and those that want to go bare back as it were. I'm now white with a hugo, not that there is anything wrong with being black and blue.
Glad to hear the coast has figured out a good use for those beats, the cable serves as a good whiplash type defence similar to my grass trimmer, that I can't imagine using being buried in what has been eastern Canada, the good city of toronto with million dollar average properties, the coldest winter I can remember.
Keep calm carry on.

Mar 6, 2015 at 2:12 PM Post #9,817 of 22,945
  I was trying to point out a particular weakness while applauding the 846 for all the really good things it does. There are many high end iem's that win on this one score regarding instrument separation and sound stage. That would include the ie800, W60, and the akg3003. It would be even more obvious with more expensive units like the K10u or the JH Lyla that would be a clear win on this one point. 

I was only referring to one aspect of the sound as compared to similar priced and more expensive iem's. There is no perfect headphone and so far, there is no perfect iem.

Considering that IEM's and closed headphones are all limited in this area, nobody really wins in this area. 

Mar 6, 2015 at 2:34 PM Post #9,818 of 22,945

Have you owned all four IEMs you reference? I will state again I disagree with your conclusions in regards to the AKG and ie800. Neither IEM can be hocked up to a balanced amp as the cables are non detachable. The use of a balanced amp will greatly improve both the soundstage and instrument separation.

Mar 6, 2015 at 4:49 PM Post #9,819 of 22,945
Hi Moedawg. Many, Many thanks for taking the time to do this,it is greatly appreciated. I will make an appointment with Dunbar. I did not know that Hospitals could do this.. I am away for a couple of weeks,but will get on to it straight away. I am going custom. Very many thanks.

Of course hospitals do this, they've been doing that for hearing aids forever... SCS require higher quality impressions, though. Just take the instructions from Sensaphonics website with you.

Mar 6, 2015 at 5:08 PM Post #9,820 of 22,945
Have you owned all four IEMs you reference? I will state again I disagree with your conclusions in regards to the AKG and ie800. Neither IEM can be hocked up to a balanced amp as the cables are non detachable. The use of a balanced amp will greatly improve both the soundstage and instrument separation.

No I have only heard two the ie800 and the 3003. I have the K10U on order but nobody in these parts has ever heard one. I bought that off their reputation. What you say about a balanced amp is true it does improve sound stage. I am in an unusual situation. I am forced to give up wearing headphones (all mine were balanced) so I have been researching and switching over to iem's. I own an Auralic Taurus which is both balanced and se. I also own other amps. I am the odd man out as I will only be using the iem's at home. I don't need them for portability. The Taurus has too much gain to use an iem from the balanced output. The se output works very well with iem's, I also have a matrix M Stage around which has switchable gain and works very well with iem's but it is se. The rest of my amps are tube amps which won't do with iem's.

I have a new cable coming for a last ditch try with the 846. I seriously doubt that will suddenly cause it to open the sound stage to equal other performers in the price range but we will see. I am not in a hurry to buy a balanced portable amp. Desktop balance amps are typically high gain so that won't work. I am open to suggestions.

The Fitear Parterre I have was a keeper and does throw a very believable soundstage. It also has many other positive points and rivals full size headphones.I was expecting that sort of performance from the 846 but so far, it is not to be. Due to my neck injury I am cycling through iem's looking for 2 or 3 keepers. So far I've found one. I am in no way knocking the 846. It is a top seller so it must be pleasing many users. Once the new cable and Westone Star tips come in I may eat my words about the 846. we shall see.

Mar 6, 2015 at 5:14 PM Post #9,821 of 22,945

Happy to be of assistance, youngarthur. Double quote as well - alright! If you haven't taken a look, please read the SCS review (on my signature and profile) to familiarize yourself with the entire process. Your process should be similar, especially if you have the audiologist adhere to the instructions on the .pdf and utilize Claudia as a resource as well.

The clear color (if you choose that color) as well may be prone to discoloration - it's discussed more in the review and additional comments to Monty Burns (welcome back Monty! - still would like for you to answer my question on the SCS thread :normal_smile :). If you choose a different color (or multi-color swirls [each color can be chosen, certain restrictions apply]), it is an additional $50 USD on top of the SCS fee.

Look forward to finding out how everything goes for you.

Mar 6, 2015 at 5:51 PM Post #9,822 of 22,945
No I have only heard two the ie800 and the 3003. I have the K10U on order but nobody in these parts has ever heard one. I bought that off their reputation. What you say about a balanced amp is true it does improve sound stage. I am in an unusual situation. I am forced to give up wearing headphones (all mine were balanced) so I have been researching and switching over to iem's. I own an Auralic Taurus which is both balanced and se. I also own other amps. I am the odd man out as I will only be using the iem's at home. I don't need them for portability. The Taurus has too much gain to use an iem from the balanced output. The se output works very well with iem's, I also have a matrix M Stage around which has switchable gain and works very well with iem's but it is se. The rest of my amps are tube amps which won't do with iem's.

I have a new cable coming for a last ditch try with the 846. I seriously doubt that will suddenly cause it to open the sound stage to equal other performers in the price range but we will see. I am not in a hurry to buy a balanced portable amp. Desktop balance amps are typically high gain so that won't work. I am open to suggestions.

The Fitear Parterre I have was a keeper and does throw a very believable soundstage. It also has many other positive points and rivals full size headphones.I was expecting that sort of performance from the 846 but so far, it is not to be. Due to my neck injury I am cycling through iem's looking for 2 or 3 keepers. So far I've found one. I am in no way knocking the 846. It is a top seller so it must be pleasing many users. Once the new cable and Westone Star tips come in I may eat my words about the 846. we shall see.

As for good portable balanced output amps I cannot recommend Ray Samuels Audio highly enough. At a new price between $500-$700(USD) they are impeccable. A dead quiet background with no hiss and plenty of power. I own the Protector, Lightning and Intruder and have listened to the SR-71B so cannot go wrong although I would avoid the Protector with the 846 and its warm tube like sound does not pair well with the 8s.

Mar 6, 2015 at 6:15 PM Post #9,823 of 22,945
The clear color (if you choose that color) as well may be prone to discoloration - it's discussed more in the review and additional comments to @Monty Burns (welcome back Monty! - still would like for you to answer my question on the SCS thread
normal_smile .gif

Look forward to finding out how everything goes for you.

Sorry Moe took me a while to find your question re my "Clear" SCS. I am happy to report that they are in PERFECT condition. No discoloration Now this could be my ears are the right Ph or it could be that after each use I rinse them off in warm soapy water and then run them under the tap with cold water.... Air dry and ready to go....The perfect interface between human an Cylon.

As for me I am well... Well tired of winter. And soon to be well tired of renovations....At least the 8s with the SCS will block out their noise and that sucking sound from my bank account..

Mar 6, 2015 at 6:23 PM Post #9,824 of 22,945
  There are many high end iem's that win on this one score regarding instrument separation and sound stage. That would include the ie800, W60, and the akg3003. It would be even more obvious with more expensive units like the K10u or the JH Lyla that would be a clear win on this one point. 

I own the ie800, and my brother owns the W60... Neither bests the SE846 in instrument separation. In my estimation, all of these IEMs have their strong-points, but separation is not something the ie800 and W60 do markedly better than the SE846. In fact, while they are all extremely close, I'd say the separation of the ie800 and SE846 is just slightly better than W60. Slightly. On some tracks. The thing about separation is that unlike bass or treble, which could theoretically extend into frequencies we can't hear or feel, separation is more finite. There comes a point where you are going to hear all the instrument separation a track has to offer, and spending more money isn't going to deliver any more. In my estimation, the SE846 is already doing what can be done. 

While I can't speak with authority on the K10u JH Layla, I don't believe they can squeeze blood from a stone. While I'm sure it's possible they offer better separation than the SE846, it would be in the way the ie800 and SE846 offer better separation than the W60. That is, sort of. On some tracks. Maybe.

If you're hearing a lack of separation with your SE846, I'd venture a guess that your sources may be the culprit. These IEMs are capable of some very deep bass, and if your sources can't deliver the requisite detail, separation will suffer. In particularly bad situations, muddiness can occur.

Mar 6, 2015 at 6:31 PM Post #9,825 of 22,945
  I own the ie800, and my brother owns the W60... Neither bests the SE846 in instrument separation. In my estimation, all of these IEMs have their strong-points, but separation is not something the ie800 and W60 do markedly better than the SE846. In fact, while they are all extremely close, I'd say the separation of the ie800 and SE846 is just slightly better than W60. Slightly. On some tracks. The thing about separation is that unlike bass or treble, which could theoretically extend into frequencies we can't hear or feel, separation is more finite. There comes a point where you are going to hear all the instrument separation a track has to offer, and spending more money isn't going to deliver any more. In my estimation, the SE846 is already doing what can be done. 

While I can't speak with authority on the K10u JH Layla, I don't believe they can squeeze blood from a stone. While I'm sure it's possible they offer better separation than the SE846, it would be in the way the ie800 and SE846 offer better separation than the W60. That is, sort of. On some tracks. Maybe.

If you're hearing a lack of separation with your SE846, I'd venture a guess that your sources may be the culprit. These IEMs are capable of some very deep bass, and if your sources can't deliver the requisite detail, separation will suffer. In particularly bad situations, muddiness can occur.

I owe everyone here an apology. I just added an 80 ohm adapter to the 846 and the soundstage opened up 300%! It was impedance mismatch with my Taurus. Now for the first time I can hear what the 8's sound like and it is very engaging. Before it was more mono than stereo. I will do some listening but now I really hear them. What a difference 80 ohms can make. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back