Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Mar 5, 2015 at 1:04 PM Post #9,781 of 22,954
  Hope they work for you! I went about 4 hrs straight and had no pain so these are keepers for me and I ordered more. I had originally ordered the small olives from this vendor and he sent me the mushroom tips as free samples with a note asking me to try them out. I'm guessing the vendor was pretty confident I would end up ordering more. On a funny note - I bet the custom folks are just laughing at how much time and money we spend going through all these universal tips!

Laughing - nah, at least regarding my personal thoughts on the talk about the sizes-fit-all tips.  All that I and others who have experienced the custom SE846/universal IEM experience can do is only suggest it as an option.  There are a lot of people where certain tips are absolutely "perfect" for them, and that's great - as you have saved the time and money of investing in custom sleeves such as the SCS.  I would always suggest going through as many different sizes of sizes-fit-all tips as you can, and really liking/loving a sound signature of the IEM before investing in custom sleeves such as the SCS.

I have tried ALL tips... silicone, foams... Westone star tips.. foams... Nothing worked for me. Only SCS. Some ears are just like that.

The Westone STAR Tips (left side, small or medium) felt okay in my left ear, but the cauliflower of my right ear caused any silicone tip to just feel "off", and could never get a comfortable seal or have the isolation I had in the left ear.  Also, the sweat from working out would always get into my nozzles, cutting out sound when I had my blue filters in.  The SCS took care of my fit issues, able to sweat as much as I wanted with zero issues, and then some.  Some ears will only be able to fully accept custom sleeves and partly accept sizes-fit-all (in this case -most) tips.

Mar 5, 2015 at 2:18 PM Post #9,782 of 22,954

Laughing - nah, at least regarding my personal thoughts on the talk about the sizes-fit-all tips.  All that I and others who have experienced the custom SE846/universal IEM experience can do is only suggest it as an option.  There are a lot of people where certain tips are absolutely "perfect" for them, and that's great - as you have saved the time and money of investing in custom sleeves such as the SCS.  I would always suggest going through as many different sizes of sizes-fit-all tips as you can, and really liking/loving a sound signature of the IEM before investing in custom sleeves such as the SCS.

The Westone STAR Tips (left side, small or medium) felt okay in my left ear, but the cauliflower of my right ear caused any silicone tip to just feel "off", and could never get a comfortable seal or have the isolation I had in the left ear.  Also, the sweat from working out would always get into my nozzles, cutting out sound when I had my blue filters in.  The SCS took care of my fit issues, able to sweat as much as I wanted with zero issues, and then some.  Some ears will only be able to fully accept custom sleeves and partly accept sizes-fit-all (in this case -most) tips.

I recycled the custom sleeves I had made for my SE535 which have been lying idle for some time. Fit both the SE846 and my ears perfectly...

I have found comply tips to be good for me, but I wear them out quite quickly.

Mar 5, 2015 at 2:27 PM Post #9,783 of 22,954
  I recycled the custom sleeves I had made for my SE535 which have been lying idle for some time. Fit both the SE846 and my ears perfectly...

Awesome, glad that your custom sleeves fit the SE846 even though the housing is a different shape/body than the SE535.  I am sure you can stretch the silicone and make it fit, but if they fit for you, awesome! 
bigsmile_face.gif

The Comply T-400 that I used for my Supra wore out very quickly, hence I searched around for the SpinFit tips, and once I was able to obtain those, were an improvement across every spectrum compared to the Comply T-400 tips.

Mar 5, 2015 at 3:03 PM Post #9,784 of 22,954

Cool. Are they the custom tips that sit only on the nozzle? Like these...

Mar 5, 2015 at 3:06 PM Post #9,785 of 22,954
+1. If you want a more conventional sound (less mid forward, wider soundstage, sparkling treble extension, less subbass), the 846 is not for you. The "veil" you are hearing is probably a combination of the heavy subbass and the smooth (not dipped) lower and middle treble- a treble response which helps ensure that sibilance does not come into the picture.

Try silicon tips (like the startips) and avoid the foamies. Try also the white filter. If you have access to an aftermarket silver cable, slap that on for size as well. Then give it a good run through on your favourite songs. Sometimes it's also a matter of getting used to a signature. With the 846, the mids and bass is where the magic is at. If you still find you don't like it, then it's time to look elsewhere :)

+1

Star tips add a little bit of clarity, but it isn't a huge one.
White filter adds more soundstage, but still not anywhere close as large as the IE800s and certainly not as large as say, the K3003s.
I can't speak for cable modding, but the changes so far have only been marginal.

Mar 5, 2015 at 3:31 PM Post #9,787 of 22,954

Star tips add a little bit of clarity, but it isn't a huge one.
White filter adds more soundstage, but still not anywhere close as large as the IE800s and certainly not as large as say, the K3003s.
I can't speak for cable modding, but the changes so far have only been marginal.

Unquote

Use a Litz Silver balanced output cable will create a bigger improvement.

Mar 5, 2015 at 3:36 PM Post #9,788 of 22,954
  slightly more coverage, excuse the photography

Ohh, the acs tips. Good to know SE846 fits, eventhough it's not on their compatible list. Technically, this should fit for all iems with this nozzle size.

Mar 5, 2015 at 3:41 PM Post #9,789 of 22,954
  slightly more coverage, excuse the photography

Those (the ACS tips) looks like a hybrid of the UM56 Westone Adapter (custom tips) and the SCS's regular (not full shell) custom sleeves as they do not cover much of the SE846's housing at all.  I wonder if the cymba portion (and especially entire concha and incisura portions) of the ear are being enveloped by the ACS.  I know the SCS' full shell covers the entire SE846 housing up to the threaded/keyed opening for the nozzle/threaded collar and envelops the concha, crux helix, antitragus, incisura, and tragus portions of the ear, just like a full acrylic or silicone CIEM shell envelops. 

Mar 5, 2015 at 4:15 PM Post #9,790 of 22,954
I would love to go Custom, but living in N/E Scotland,near John O Groats,I would have to travel hundreds of miles,just to get impressions. We are a bit behind the times up here. We have only just got rid of Ethel,on the telephone Exchange,and only then,because she Retired!. Up here,they think that crystal radio is the latest thing.

Mar 5, 2015 at 4:33 PM Post #9,791 of 22,954
  I would love to go Custom, but living in N/E Scotland,near John O Groats,I would have to travel hundreds of miles,just to get impressions. We are a bit behind the times up here. We have only just got rid of Ethel,on the telephone Exchange,and only then,because she Retired!. Up here,they think that crystal radio is the latest thing.

Just did a search in your area (Thurso, Scotland) and they have an audiology department at Dunbar Hospital, in Thurso.  If they are not able to make impressions, you can also call and find out in one of these hospitals:

This service is available in the following hospitals (most of these do not look too far from you)
Raigmore Hospital (Main base)
Caithness General Hospital, Wick  
Dunbar Hospital, Thurso
Lawson Memorial Hospital, Golspie
Mackinnon Hospital, Broadford
Portree Hospital, Skye
Belford Hospital, Fort William
Community Clinic, Fort William
Ross Memorial Hospital, Dingwall

For people living in Argyll and Bute the contact is 
Audiology Department
Lorn and Islands District General Hospital
Glengallen Road
Oban  PA344HH
Tel : 01631 788993

I found this out via the website link: http://www.nhshighland.scot.nhs.uk/Services/Pages/AudiologyDepartment.aspx

If any of these places can create impressions, you can have them use the SCS impression instructions (http://www.sensaphonics.com/Ear%20Impressions%20How2.pdf) and can order online as well (http://store.sensaphonics.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=Shure+Sleeves).  You can email Claudia at Sensaphonics (saveyourears@sensaphonics.com) and she will be able to help you out with ordering, shipping, etcetera.  You can also PM me with any questions as well if you'd like.

If you decide to go custom, good luck to you!  
bigsmile_face.gif

Mar 5, 2015 at 5:08 PM Post #9,792 of 22,954
oban, mmmm scotch

Mar 5, 2015 at 5:41 PM Post #9,793 of 22,954

Those (the ACS tips) looks like a hybrid of the UM56 Westone Adapter (custom tips) and the SCS's regular (not full shell) custom sleeves as they do not cover much of the SE846's housing at all.  I wonder if the cymba portion (and especially entire concha and incisura portions) of the ear are being enveloped by the ACS.  I know the SCS' full shell covers the entire SE846 housing up to the threaded/keyed opening for the nozzle/threaded collar and envelops the concha, crux helix, antitragus, incisura, and tragus portions of the ear, just like a full acrylic or silicone CIEM shell envelops. 

They are indeed the ACS tips...

My biology isn't up to a comprehensive answer, but I can tell you that the noise isolation is excellent (I had to be politely asked to leave a cafe during a false fire alarm this morning as I couldn't hear the siren...) and you do get the full sub-woofer effect once the seal is good.

Mar 5, 2015 at 6:05 PM Post #9,794 of 22,954

Awesome, glad that your custom sleeves fit the SE846 even though the housing is a different shape/body than the SE535.  I am sure you can stretch the silicone and make it fit, but if they fit for you, awesome! 
bigsmile_face.gif

The Comply T-400 that I used for my Supra wore out very quickly, hence I searched around for the SpinFit tips, and once I was able to obtain those, were an improvement across every spectrum compared to the Comply T-400 tips.

I have a set of the spinfits but the opening for the shaft is too large to fit and lock down on the 846 shaft? How did you get them to work on the 846? I even called the vendor and they said they knew the 846 wasn't compatible with spinfits. I would love to know how you got them to work? Someone suggested wrapping tape on the shaft to get it to accept larger shaft tips. Is that what you did?

I think if I was going to go to the trouble and expense to get impressions made  I would just order a custom iem maybe something like a K10 and wait months for the results. I am just to lazy to go through all that for results that may not be perfect. Then you have to go back and refit. I don't require absolute isolation. If I can get a good seal with tips on a universal that is enough for me as long as I don't have to use foam. All the foam tips like comply just kill the sound for me even with a good seal.

I understand everyone's ears are different and for some people custom tips are the only thing that will work. I have a hard time finding tips that seal well enough with my ears. I just change equipment so often I don't want to kill resale with custom iem's. 

Mar 5, 2015 at 6:22 PM Post #9,795 of 22,954
I have a set of the spinfits but the opening for the shaft is too large to fit and lock down on the 846 shaft? How did you get them to work on the 846? I even called the vendor and they said they knew the 846 wasn't compatible with spinfits. I would love to know how you got them to work? Someone suggested wrapping tape on the shaft to get it to accept larger shaft tips. Is that what you did?

I think if I was going to go to the trouble and expense to get impressions made  I would just order a custom iem maybe something like a K10 and wait months for the results. I am just to lazy to go through all that for results that may not be perfect. Then you have to go back and refit. I don't require absolute isolation. If I can get a good seal with tips on a universal that is enough for me as long as I don't have to use foam. All the foam tips like comply just kill the sound for me even with a good seal.

I understand everyone's ears are different and for some people custom tips are the only thing that will work. I have a hard time finding tips that seal well enough with my ears. I just change equipment so often I don't want to kill resale with custom iem's. 

The SpinFit (as I mentioned) fits the Supra's (as in the EarWerkz Supra's) tube/nozzle. The SpinFit does not fit the SE846's tube/nozzle.

It's up to you if you want to wait a few weeks for the SCS or wait a few months for a Noble C/IEM such as the K10. Having the SE846, I would personally choose the SCS route for various reasons, but it's great that in the end you have choices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back