Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Feb 25, 2015 at 8:39 AM Post #9,556 of 22,945
I really want to try the se846 again ...got the Stage diver SD-4 in for review atm and im loving it. super natural and lovely mild V shape. I hope I get the se846 loaner before I send back the SD-4 as I want to compare it to the more mid centric sound of the shures. 

Anyone here also tried the SD-4? 

Feb 25, 2015 at 11:05 AM Post #9,557 of 22,945

Do you have the custom Angie or universal model? How big is the physical size compared to 846's?

I have the universal model. I would say the shells are kind of big yet manageable. They're about the size of a custom shell, but with a long stem that rest deep and comfortably inside of your ear canal. 

Feb 25, 2015 at 11:34 AM Post #9,558 of 22,945
I would contact Claudia from Sensaphonics (saveyourears@sensaphonics.com) to truly find out the current ETA. Congrats on your purchase!

I just shot an email. Thanks Moe, for all your contributions to this thread. All my purchases for 8's were from your reviews.

Feb 25, 2015 at 12:44 PM Post #9,559 of 22,945
I'm getting my silver litz cable and silver litz interconnect from ted on thursday! 
bigsmile_face.gif

Feb 25, 2015 at 4:19 PM Post #9,560 of 22,945

I have the universal model. I would say the shells are kind of big yet manageable. They're about the size of a custom shell, but with a long stem that rest deep and comfortably inside of your ear canal. 

I'll have to keep an eye on them. I feel they might be too big for me though, and there are some pretty sweet deals for 846's already.

Feb 25, 2015 at 4:30 PM Post #9,561 of 22,945
I'm getting my silver litz cable and silver litz interconnect from ted on thursday! :bigsmile_face:

I'm 5 weeks into waiting for double helix fusion silver Litz copper 8 braid. Gosh knows it could be months yet, hope not. I don't see the point even in trying to bother the master, Dave, with when's it ready emails. Granted im cool with my ALO sxc8 for the intrum.

Feb 25, 2015 at 5:06 PM Post #9,562 of 22,945
Mine just arrived.  Am using them "stock" from the box.  Tried them first with the regular Shure long cable they came attached to, sound just fine single-ended.  Then I put my Moon Audio Silver Dragon balanced (for Pono) cable on and things got even better.  I'll need to give them some time to let me acclimate to them but I can already hear (good) differences with the Moons on my Fidue A83.  Fit is certainly better/easier as well.  

Feb 25, 2015 at 5:16 PM Post #9,563 of 22,945
I'm 5 weeks into waiting for double helix fusion silver Litz copper 8 braid. Gosh knows it could be months yet, hope not. I don't see the point even in trying to bother the master, Dave, with when's it ready emails. Granted im cool with my ALO sxc8 for the intrum.

I'm 13 weeks in. I've stopped holding my breath at this point, and will be amazed if I even see a product. 

Feb 25, 2015 at 5:32 PM Post #9,564 of 22,945
  Been comparing the SE846 and the JH Audio Angie (actually the first JH Audio I've ever owned). For $100 more, the Angie wins hands down as having the best sound (and you can forget talking about bass after playing around with Angie's tunable bass). I finally got a $1k IEM that I think is worth it in sound and value. 

Everybody has a different opinion. There are people that prefer the Shure SE846 over the Angie. See the quote below. In my opinion, you just buy a different flavor at this level. 

Just curious, those that have the Angie's...Where are you setting the adjustable POT at? For information purposes, I prefer my Shure SE846's with the white filters.

Feb 25, 2015 at 10:50 PM Post #9,567 of 22,945
Hello all,

Recent SE846 owner here. Here are my quick notes:

Usage and music - got this strictly for portable and "fun" use as I fly 100K+ miles per year within US. Spotify 320kps and listen to Jazz, Pop, Acoustic, New Age (until I fall asleep anyway).
Eartips - I use Klipsch large clear oval silicons. They fit well and most comfortable for me. Tried the small Shure olives and caused discomfort after a couple hours. SQ is same for both. I hate foam.
Filter - White, but may go back to blue a soon as my new cables arrive.
Amp - JDS Labs C5, no bass boost needed for my tastes. Tried medium boost (+6db) and I felt like I was in a club, but mids and highs stayed nice and clean.
Cable - OEM, but will be getting custom shortly.

Sound - when pairing these with amps that have 4-10 ohm output (iPhone, Macbook, FIIO E09K), I hear boomy, loose bass which prompted me to get the JDS Amp rated at 0.62 ohm output. With the JDS amp, bass is now nice and tight, highs more airy. Natalie Imbruglia's (who has yet to answer my marriage proposal) "Torn", sounded wonderful.

I asked Shure customer support if adding an impedance adapter in the range of 50-75 ohm would do anything to the crossover frequencies and the technician said it would not be a problem as far as the crossovers go, but depending on the amp, may color the sound slightly. I have a Sony PHA-2 (for my desktop and Beyer T5P) on the way so will definitely listen to with and without an impedance adapter just out of curiosity.

Overall, very happy with these IEMs and I found all the prior comments on this thread extremely useful in deciding on these. Anyone still looking for an amp or amp/dac should take a good look at JDS Labs.

Feb 26, 2015 at 12:12 AM Post #9,568 of 22,945
  Hello all,

Recent SE846 owner here. Here are my quick notes:

Usage and music - got this strictly for portable and "fun" use as I fly 100K+ miles per year within US. Spotify 320kps and listen to Jazz, Pop, Acoustic, New Age (until I fall asleep anyway).
Eartips - I use Klipsch large clear oval silicons. They fit well and most comfortable for me. Tried the small Shure olives and caused discomfort after a couple hours. SQ is same for both. I hate foam.
Filter - White, but may go back to blue a soon as my new cables arrive.
Amp - JDS Labs C5, no bass boost needed for my tastes. Tried medium boost (+6db) and I felt like I was in a club, but mids and highs stayed nice and clean.
Cable - OEM, but will be getting custom shortly.

Sound - when pairing these with amps that have 4-10 ohm output (iPhone, Macbook, FIIO E09K), I hear boomy, loose bass which prompted me to get the JDS Amp rated at 0.62 ohm output. With the JDS amp, bass is now nice and tight, highs more airy. Natalie Imbruglia's (who has yet to answer my marriage proposal) "Torn", sounded wonderful.

I asked Shure customer support if adding an impedance adapter in the range of 50-75 ohm would do anything to the crossover frequencies and the technician said it would not be a problem as far as the crossovers go, but depending on the amp, may color the sound slightly. I have a Sony PHA-2 (for my desktop and Beyer T5P) on the way so will definitely listen to with and without an impedance adapter just out of curiosity.

Overall, very happy with these IEMs and I found all the prior comments on this thread extremely useful in deciding on these. Anyone still looking for an amp or amp/dac should take a good look at JDS Labs.

Awesome impressions and happy travels!  Flew internationally right after i got my pair and never felt as fresh after a 17+ hour haul!
On the subject of amping/impedance matching, does the C5 hiss with the 846?  Realize this is a very subjective question, but is the difference between C5 vs. (say) iPhone relatively obvious, or more like splitting hairs?  Thanks....

Feb 26, 2015 at 12:49 AM Post #9,570 of 22,945
@ericp10 what did you like better about the Angies and what didt you like about the 846? Which one has the bigger soundstage? And I feel that the 846 is worth the 1000 and not just good if you find a good deal on them

Users who are viewing this thread

Back