Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Jan 18, 2015 at 7:21 AM Post #8,926 of 22,945
  I use the foamies - the silicone can reverse the attenuation of the high frequencies, but at the cost of less isolation. I also like the Comply P-Series foams. I have usually been able to offset the high frequency cutting effect of foams by pushing back toward the IEM when I compress the foam before insertion. I know when I have it correct when I feel the hard plastic of the inner core pressing against my ear canal...

I cut off the tip of the Westone foamies & expose the inner tube , high end opens up a bit (or atleast it seems so)

Jan 18, 2015 at 8:45 AM Post #8,927 of 22,945
I always believe, seek forgiveness not permission
smily_headphones1.gif

Hahaha well I asked and permission was granted.  :D

I still have to ask for forgiveness for the 846 though.... 
redface.gif

Jan 18, 2015 at 10:33 AM Post #8,928 of 22,945
  To be honest, I am most interested in the K10 but don't seem to be able to find that on for sale too often. 

I suppose you are speaking about the K10U for 'Universal' since the 'normal ' K10 is a CIEM = custom which is why the used market pretty much nonexistent.

FYI - Noble usually has a Black Friday sale every year...
wink.gif

Jan 18, 2015 at 3:28 PM Post #8,929 of 22,945
hi i'm new here and still very noobie at this but i do love my old shure earphones and i just bought the new SE846 they are still in the box.

i'm looking for a portable amp, or amp/dac i bought the FiiO E11K but i have no idea if that's good (i was in an airport and had to catch a plane so had no time and just got it) so 2 questions
can i use that one? and what would you recommend?

i know the answer is probably here in the forums somewhere but i searched for 2 hours and didn't find it mostly because i still don't understand all the lingo i would really love some help thank you and have a good day.

Jan 18, 2015 at 3:49 PM Post #8,930 of 22,945
hi i'm new here and still very noobie at this but i do love my old shure earphones and i just bought the new SE846 they are still in the box.

i'm looking for a portable amp, or amp/dac i bought the FiiO E11K but i have no idea if that's good (i was in an airport and had to catch a plane so had no time and just got it) so 2 questions
can i use that one? and what would you recommend?

i know the answer is probably here in the forums somewhere but i searched for 2 hours and didn't find it mostly because i still don't understand all the lingo i would really love some help thank you and have a good day.

You haven't said what player you have? My two DAPs sound great with 846s without any further amp.

Jan 18, 2015 at 4:55 PM Post #8,931 of 22,945
Well, ain't I lucky?

Just three days before meeting my ENT for cleaning and hearing check (to get the impressions done for SCS) I'm getting my ear infected, spent last night on Ibuprofen, went to urgent care this morning and now on a 10 day antibiotics course. What does that mean? At least one extra month without enjoying my brand new IEMs. I feel cursed.

I'm all swollen and it hurts like hell.

Jan 18, 2015 at 5:55 PM Post #8,932 of 22,945
One thing that I hate about the 846 is how well textured / defined the bass is, I went into a pretty reputable hi-fi store yesterday, and - all of their speaker setups (I will say that they don't have esoteric brands, so this isn't a one size fits all comment) had one-note, mid-bass-centric sound - really, REALLY disappointing...

Jan 18, 2015 at 8:17 PM Post #8,936 of 22,945
One thing that I hate about the 846 is how well textured / defined the bass is, I went into a pretty reputable hi-fi store yesterday, and - all of their speaker setups (I will say that they don't have esoteric brands, so this isn't a one size fits all comment) had one-note, mid-bass-centric sound - really, REALLY disappointing...

"Let's get things nice and sparkling clear. This sarcasm - if I may call it such,does not become you,O my brother"

"You try to frighten me. Admit so, sir. This is some new form of torture. Say it, Brother Sir."
:hear_no_evil:

Jan 19, 2015 at 1:19 AM Post #8,937 of 22,945
  oh i didn't even know that mattered =( i have a samsung galaxy 5 (i hope that's the "player") and my laptop?

I would recommend getting a new DAP like the X5 or DX90 if you have the budget, or the DX50 or X3 if you are looking for something cheaper. 

Jan 19, 2015 at 1:43 AM Post #8,938 of 22,945
Exactly.  A detailed, textured bass is a total bummer.  :confused:  

Ahh....  did you really mean to say that? :D
what I mean is that my ears are now being violated by far more speaker based systems than they ever used to be...

"Let's get things nice and sparkling clear. This sarcasm - if I may call it such,does not become you,O my brother"

"You try to frighten me. Admit so, sir. This is some new form of torture. Say it, Brother Sir."
:hear_no_evil:
it is so haha, although how much of an influence the Hugo is I still do not know as I've never felt the wasn't too violate the Shures by plugging them into anything less

Jan 19, 2015 at 2:40 AM Post #8,939 of 22,945
I would recommend getting a new DAP like the X5 or DX90 if you have the budget, or the DX50 or X3 if you are looking for something cheaper. 

Agreed. These DAPs have better DACs and Amps inbuilt than any phone I have heard and for easy to drive iems like the 846 do not need amping. A better amp may provide small gains or a different flavour. Proof is of course in the listening.

Jan 19, 2015 at 8:45 AM Post #8,940 of 22,945
So I've been getting a bit of distortion on the bass on some of my tracks. Plugged it into a DX90, same track, and my goodness now I know what these are supposed to sound like. Nice clean textured bass, smooth mids and treble that is just right for my ears. Even on higher volumes, these are really clean sounding IEMs.

Also tried them with a DX50. While the DX50 still sounds better than my phone, it doesn't sound as lively as the DX90. The DX90 to me just sounds more natural. I was able to try out the X5 as well. I got a little hint of hiss through that.

Note to other buyers, these do not pair well with a Moto X (2014). They'll still sound good, but nowhere near as good as it is supposed to be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back