Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Jan 15, 2015 at 5:35 PM Post #8,882 of 22,945

Just got an e-mail from our local Gold Circle audiologist: "The impressions only take about a half an hour. The cost of the sleeves is $150, plus $10 shipping; my services cost $25-- totalling $185".
Her office is like 30 minutes drive from my place. Sounds like a good deal. I think I'm jumping on it if my ENT gives a green light next week.

Jump... Not as a leap of faith but with the certainty that you will soon be loving your sounds like you were wearing nothing at all.
And the 8s will ill go to a new fuller level.

At $185 the price to SQ improvement ratio is ridiculously cheap compared to say Cables or a Hi End DAP (Like an AK120iied Redwine like I desire) Amps et. All of which do not return the sonic Bang for your Buck that the SCS does.

And the SCS will pair beautifully to any DAP Amp or Cable. 

I know many love the colour but I must say they look quite tasty in the flesh/clear colour. It has as I have said a Cronerbergesque Naked Lunch / Cylon Resurrection ship and Chamber feel to it. 

For the Record Below is the Cylon 8 Series (My Favorite)... Now you know why SHURE chose 8 (Also my favorite) for the moniker of its flagship - Makes perfect sense to me. One could say "8 is the new 10"

Jan 15, 2015 at 5:43 PM Post #8,883 of 22,945
  Canadians... Check the Amazon.ca warehouse deals.

I just picked up the 846 for 671CAD.
It was marked as "Condition: Very good, All accessories present". Amazon warehouse can be hit or miss, so I didn't know what to expect. I just got them in the mail today and.... IT WAS A BRAND NEW UNIT. The only thing they repackaged was the missing outer sleeve of the box... it was BRAND NEW. Unopened. I am still 0_0...

Edit: Holy **** the price just jumped back up to 831$. Did I just get really lucky? 

Not to dampen your spirits but You will not have a Warranty. SHURE is Very strict that their product must be bought from an authorized dealer. Provided you buy from an authorized dealer Anywhere in the world SHURE will honour your warranty. I got mine at an except price in the USA online and SHURE Canada if I have a problem will give me full coverage.

Good Luck but always Caveat Emptor.

EDIT: I was just catching up so this is redundant. I was not piling on.

Jan 15, 2015 at 6:43 PM Post #8,884 of 22,945

Not to dampen your spirits but You will not have a Warranty. SHURE is Very strict that their product must be bought from an authorized dealer. Provided you buy from an authorized dealer Anywhere in the world SHURE will honour your warranty. I got mine at an except price in the USA online and SHURE Canada if I have a problem will give me full coverage.

Good Luck but always Caveat Emptor.

EDIT: I was just catching up so this is redundant. I was not piling on.

I'm not sure about this. The SE846 is so new that when I sent mine in for repairs they didn't even ask where I got them. 

Jan 15, 2015 at 9:44 PM Post #8,885 of 22,945
They may not be asking right now simply because every 846 out there is covered under the 2 year warranty since its been out for less than two years. That really just could have been some customer service rep oversight because all of them should be covered.

However, I would imagine that since this is such a pricy product and as shure continues to sell more and more of them, there will be more of them to service. And as we get closer to the two year window where the first batches of 846s won't be covered, It would surprise me a great deal of they continued to service warranties without asking for a receipt in the future.

Personally, despite the possibility of getting a great deal and saving $100-200 on the cost of a pair, getting brand new and with full warranty for such an expensive IEM is more than worth it. That way you have peace of mind for two years.

Go with an authorized dealer and get it new, if you ask me.

Jan 15, 2015 at 9:48 PM Post #8,886 of 22,945
Personally, despite the possibility of getting a great deal and saving $100-200 on the cost of a pair, getting brand new and with full warranty for such an expensive IEM is more than worth it. That way you have peace of mind for two years.

Go with an authorized dealer and get it new, if you ask me.

Also it's fairly easy to find a brand new, unopened box from an authorized dealer for <= $800.

Jan 15, 2015 at 10:15 PM Post #8,887 of 22,945

Also it's fairly easy to find a brand new, unopened box from an authorized dealer for <= $800.

Brand New also has the advantage of having NEVER been in a stranger's ear-  (or any other orifice - you never know what and where people will insert into their bodies..... Millions of Gerbils go missing every year - where do they go? )  I am just funny that way.

For much the same reason, despite my temptation (we are talking deep discount.), I have never purchased "Unboxed"/ Lightly Used Underwear.

In a world where a $50 is the new $20 ($500 the new$200 etc) right up the line a few dollars more is not what it use to be and the bump between  used/refurbished/unboxed and Brand Spanking Fresh from the tiny child labourers hands is not on a % basis what it was. As you and other have ponted out. Just a question of legwork and a few calls. .

But as in anything in Capitalism as long as the Buyer  makes himself informed or make themselves informed prior to transacting how and what a person buys is their concern.

If a buyer fails to inform himself in advance and later pays the price for his haste/sloth he has no one but himself to blame. No recourse but to treat one's haste as tuition for a lesson learned.

Liberty and personal responsibility is that which made America Great. But it took Shure to make Liberty sound Delicious

Jan 15, 2015 at 10:52 PM Post #8,888 of 22,945
The 8s and I are off to Palm Beach next week. Now one would think in a "Town" with a line of houses oft referred to as Billionaires Row. (Not to be confused with Bilionaires Road in London - The Bishops Avenue) there would be a place where one could find tasty toys tease my ears and tempt my wallet. But in all these years I have never come across such a place.

Watches Oh yea. Pizza Slices worthy of New York ..YES!!! Cars, Art, Wine, Single Malt MexiCoke (the REAL Real Thing) all there. But sonic samples for the 0.1% Elusive.

Anyone know of a place in the area?  Afterall the 8s and I are celebrating our 1st anniversary soon (Is the first the DAP Anniversary or the Silver Litz Anniversary? I can never remember.

If not We shall find other ways to amuse ourselves  and I shall surprise the 8s a later time

Jan 16, 2015 at 12:10 AM Post #8,889 of 22,945

Jump... Not as a leap of faith but with the certainty that you will soon be loving your sounds like you were wearing nothing at all.
And the 8s will ill go to a new fuller level.

At $185 the price to SQ improvement ratio is ridiculously cheap compared to say Cables or a Hi End DAP (Like an AK120iied Redwine like I desire) Amps et. All of which do not return the sonic Bang for your Buck that the SCS does.

And the SCS will pair beautifully to any DAP Amp or Cable. 

I know many love the colour but I must say they look quite tasty in the flesh/clear colour. It has as I have said a Cronerbergesque Naked Lunch / Cylon Resurrection ship and Chamber feel to it. 

For the Record Below is the Cylon 8 Series (My Favorite)... Now you know why SHURE chose 8 (Also my favorite) for the moniker of its flagship - Makes perfect sense to me. One could say "8 is the new 10"

Grace Park <3

After a day with these phones, I can say they don't pair well with my laptop.  Plugged on my laptop (an Asus V451LB), they become too bass heavy.  The soundcard on this laptop has always seemed to boost bass and treble a bit even with EQ turned off on the machine.  It helped improve on the roll-off of my SE425s, but on the SE846, the v-sound was a little too apparent.  

Paired with my Moto X (2014), they are a marked improvement over my SE425 (as they should be).  Instrument separation is way better and I am now noticing nuances on my music that I did not notice before.  These IEMs are pretty sensitive!  I am now only a click above half volume and it sounds pretty close to where my SE425 would be at 2 clicks below full volume.  There is a little bit of background hiss but that's only noticable when I am trying to listen for hiss.  

Seems an external DAC/amp is on my wishlist in the near future.  Maybe later this year I'll go look for a nice standalone portable player.  I'll wait for reviews on the Sony ZX-2 and Pono Player to come in.  I'm hoping to find a portable player with expandable memory that would pair well with these phones without the need for a separate amp.  

Jan 16, 2015 at 12:25 AM Post #8,890 of 22,945
I've done both and the first flange makes it hurt less. 

Set of P-100s incoming tomorrow. I'm thinking if they're anything like the T-100 that it'll be essentially a more "neutral" experience compared to my usual Westone Star silicones, which is a good thing these days. 

Interested in your take on the P100's. I've been using them for a few weeks and really like them. More comfortable than the Stars for me. I feel the bass is slightly softer. I'm thinking of switching to the whites to see how they sound with the P100's instead of the blues.

Jan 16, 2015 at 12:39 AM Post #8,891 of 22,945
Interested in your take on the P100's. I've been using them for a few weeks and really like them. More comfortable than the Stars for me. I feel the bass is slightly softer. I'm thinking of switching to the whites to see how they sound with the P100's instead of the blues.

They're awesome. Softer version of the Westone True Fit, slightly lessened bass. I think the Westone True are more to my tastes. I wouldn't switch to the whites, they just spike the 8Khz. It isn't like a full spectrum tilt, just brighter up in that one area.

Jan 16, 2015 at 12:49 AM Post #8,892 of 22,945

I have been using the P-100 for several weeks now on my 425 and I am now using them on my 846.  To me, they make the IEMs sound a little warmer than the Shure Olives.  Personally, I prefer the sound from the Olives, but the 846 sits a little shallow on my ear canals so the Olives have a tendency of breaking their seal (particularly on my right ear) when I move.  The P-100s are longer so they hold better.  They also isolate far better than all of my other tips and are very comfortable after a few hours of breaking them in.  

However, I find them more fragile than the olives.  I've been able to use a pair of olives for a year.  These however last me a month or so.

I have a pack of Star Tips on the way.  I look forward to trying those out.

Jan 16, 2015 at 2:18 AM Post #8,893 of 22,945
Grace Park <3

After a day with these phones, I can say they don't pair well with my laptop.  Plugged on my laptop (an Asus V451LB), they become too bass heavy.  The soundcard on this laptop has always seemed to boost bass and treble a bit even with EQ turned off on the machine.  It helped improve on the roll-off of my SE425s, but on the SE846, the v-sound was a little too apparent.  

Paired with my Moto X (2014), they are a marked improvement over my SE425 (as they should be).  Instrument separation is way better and I am now noticing nuances on my music that I did not notice before.  These IEMs are pretty sensitive!  I am now only a click above half volume and it sounds pretty close to where my SE425 would be at 2 clicks below full volume.  There is a little bit of background hiss but that's only noticable when I am trying to listen for hiss.  

Seems an external DAC/amp is on my wishlist in the near future.  Maybe later this year I'll go look for a nice standalone portable player.  I'll wait for reviews on the Sony ZX-2 and Pono Player to come in.  I'm hoping to find a portable player with expandable memory that would pair well with these phones without the need for a separate amp.  

FWIW, I was in your shoes i bought the 8s (just a few weeks ago). I have been using my iphone 6 plus for listening which sounds pretty great, but knew that i would want either a dac/amp or a dedicated DAP. A portable dac/amp souned slightly more cumbersome to me as opposed to a DAP. With a DAP my phone is pocketable. And being a minimalist, i like having one object for music (vs iphone and dac amp) and its kinda cool that its dedicated solely to music. After looking extensively at all my choices in the $500 range, i decided to stretch my budget and get the AK100ii. Its got the look and feel of an amp with the volume knob, has a great dac and can be used via usb with my mac, the UI is pretty excellent, and the overall build wuality is second to none. Most importantly, the SQ is excellent on it when paired with the 8s. I thought about waiting and seeing how the pono player would pan out, but i ultimately decided on this. I'm incredibly happy with my purchase.

Good luck finding what your looking for.

Jan 16, 2015 at 2:21 AM Post #8,894 of 22,945
They're awesome. Softer version of the Westone True Fit, slightly lessened bass. I think the Westone True are more to my tastes. I wouldn't switch to the whites, they just spike the 8Khz. It isn't like a full spectrum tilt, just brighter up in that one area.

Im using the westone true fit deep insertion foams and i quite like them. Ive been looking at the p100s as an alternative or any other deep insertion foams that might be compatible with the 8s.

Id be interested in hearing more about the p100 vs the true fit. Less bass softer fit? Is the p100 more comfortable?

Jan 16, 2015 at 2:34 AM Post #8,895 of 22,945
FWIW, I was in your shoes i bought the 8s (just a few weeks ago). I have been using my iphone 6 plus for listening which sounds pretty great, but knew that i would want either a dac/amp or a dedicated DAP. A portable dac/amp souned slightly more cumbersome to me as opposed to a DAP. With a DAP my phone is pocketable. And being a minimalist, i like having one object for music (vs iphone and dac amp) and its kinda cool that its dedicated solely to music. After looking extensively at all my choices in the $500 range, i decided to stretch my budget and get the AK100ii. Its got the look and feel of an amp with the volume knob, has a great dac and can be used via usb with my mac, the UI is pretty excellent, and the overall build wuality is second to none. Most importantly, the SQ is excellent on it when paired with the 8s. I thought about waiting and seeing how the pono player would pan out, but i ultimately decided on this. I'm incredibly happy with my purchase.

Good luck finding what your looking for.

Thanks! I'll add that to my list. I probably won't make any audio purchases until later this year so I have time to do a little more research. I'm flying to the US on November, so wait to make purchases there (cheaper shipping, more choices, no import taxes). In the meantime, the 846 sounds fine enough with the Moto X for me to be happy. The 425 will do well enough with my laptop. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back