Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Jan 10, 2015 at 4:24 PM Post #8,791 of 22,945
Just ordered a Toxic Cables Silver Widow V2 cable for the SE846...

...After hearing the 1812 Overture earlier on the 846 & Hugo, definitely looking forward to the cable upgrade to push the Shures further :D

Jan 10, 2015 at 4:41 PM Post #8,792 of 22,945
Just ordered a Toxic Cables Silver Widow V2 cable for the SE846...

...After hearing the 1812 Overture earlier on the 846 & Hugo, definitely looking forward to the cable upgrade to push the Shures further :D

I'm sure you will enjoy, I have ALO sx8 on order as a back up for my quad ribbon, next to the chord, I found upgrading the cable quite inspiring. Here's to better pipe.

Jan 10, 2015 at 4:43 PM Post #8,793 of 22,945
I love the SE846 stock cable, but as Im about to receive my dap that supports balanced output Im really interested in exploring the balanced world.
Can you guys recommend me the best cables? 
biggrin.gif

Thanks!

Jan 10, 2015 at 5:11 PM Post #8,794 of 22,945
I love the SE846 stock cable, but as Im about to receive my dap that supports balanced output Im really interested in exploring the balanced world.
Can you guys recommend me the best cables? :D
Thanks!

Hi Chefano,

There are a plethora of cables and cable companies to choose from (you can search the thread for discussions and links to various 3rd party ear/headphone cable companies) but I would vouch for Ted Allen's cables (headphonelounge.com). You can read more in "The New Headphone Lounge Thread", and the RSA and Silver Litz reviews below (in my signature). Good luck regarding your SE/balanced cable endeavors!

Jan 11, 2015 at 5:30 PM Post #8,795 of 22,945
  I just got the CEntrance Hifi-M8 for my desk at work, and this little thing is surprising with the 846's.  Absolutely black background, plenty of power, and great SQ.  Perfect form factor when you have limited desk space too.  Maybe not quite as detailed as the DX90 (used as a usb dac) > RSA Hornet that I was using, but maybe a bit more of a fun sound that is makes work a bit more bearable.  Worth a listen if anyone gets a chance to.

Hi Revolutionz, Can you confirm you able to run the 846 with Hifi-M8 and there is not hiss? How does the 846 pair with some of your RSA amps?

Jan 11, 2015 at 8:14 PM Post #8,796 of 22,945
Hi Revolutionz, Can you confirm you able to run the 846 with Hifi-M8 and there is not hiss? How does the 846 pair with some of your RSA amps?

If you do not mind, I will jump in and answer your question as I own 3 RSA balanced amplifiers (Protector, Lightning and Intruder). All of them sound phenomenon with the 8s. Absolutely black background and plenty of bottom end capacitor power that 8s need.

Jan 12, 2015 at 5:23 AM Post #8,797 of 22,945

Hi Malcuso. I run846 with the HiFi M8,and (For me) there is no disernable hiss. For me,its a terrific combination. I use the iPhone 6 plus. Its makes it a bit bulky, but it is the sound that counts.

Jan 12, 2015 at 11:59 AM Post #8,799 of 22,945
Yes, agreeing with both spook and youngarthur, both the RSA amps and the m8 are great pairings with the 846's.  I get zero hiss with any of them.

Jan 12, 2015 at 3:28 PM Post #8,800 of 22,945
  I've a question for anybody with an 846, iPhone 6 (Plus) and amp/DAC.  I've been testing the JDS labs C5D and - well, if I had to give my honest opinion on it, based on its performance with the Shure 846, I'd have to say it was a steaming pile of doggy doo doo.  And that's being generous. Firstly, there's a very perceptible noise floor with the C5D; with the iPhone 6, it's totally black - I hear no noise floor at all. Secondly, the bass just disappears with the C5D DAC. Kiss that lovely subwoofer goodbye :frowning2: But wait... there's those bass switches - surely they can save the day?...  Nope. These work great on IEMs like the ER-4S, but on the Shure 846 they don't add bass at all, only a very narrow range of sub-bass. The kind of sub-bass you get when you roll the windows down in your car at high speed causing the resonance to bang in your ears - only more unpleasant than that. So with the 846, the C5D gives you three settings: 1) no bass, 2) no bass, but an unpleasant resonant pounding in your head, or (on the lower/medium setting), 3) no bass, but a slightly unpleasant resonant pounding in your head.  The C5D sounds so much worse than the direct output from my iPhone 6 that I contacted JDS labs thinking I must have a dud.  They said the C5D was never tested with headphones of less than 16 ohm impedance.  Seriously?!?

I have not yet heard the Hugo, but am now somewhat nervous about dropping $2500, only to find the output sounds worse than that of my iPhone. (Check out Ken Rockwell's comparison of the internal iPhone 6 Plus DAC/amp vs the Beyerdynamic A200p: http://www.kenrockwell.com/apple/iphone-6-plus.htm#measurements). The problem I have with any external DAC/amp is, even if right now we can detect some small nuance of improvement, it will have a relatively short shelf life. There'll be a new iPhone in another 6 months.  Heck, there'll be a new Android phone in another 6 hours. The internal DAC/amp technology in these portable music players isn't standing still. I believe we may already be at the point of not just diminished returns, but no-more returns. I know there'll still be people that believe in 24 bit-depth audio sampled at 240 kHz and other fluff like that, but for those of us not born on the planet Krypton, if the human ear can't hear the difference, or (in the case of the A200p or C5D) if the external DAC/amp sounds WORSE than the internal DAC/amp in our portable media player, what's the point?

Sorry for the rant.  I'm just feeling like a sucker now for parting with that $250 :frowning2:  If anybody else out there has heard the 846 being driven by a C5D, I'd love to hear your experiences.  If anybody else out there has heard ANY DAC/amp that sounds better at driving the 846 than an iPhone 6 (Plus), I'd also be interested to know what product you were using and how it improved the sound.

I'm driving my 846's from a JDS C5 1st gen and C5D, I owned quite number of amps before settling with the JDS models. Mine are blacker than the darkest black mascara I have. But I also run my JDS products from ipods and my laptop not an Iphone. I don't like the 846's with any of the 6 android devices I have music on, nor my ipod touch or friends iphone 5s. 

But I'm genuinely shocked to hear you say the iphone has a lower noise floor then the C5D, I would call JDS and get it swapped out. If you plan on selling the JDS let me know, I'm starting a stockpile of them for the future, as its one of the cleanest, and blackest amp's I've used in its size format.

I also don't know who you spoke with at JDS because the C5/D amp is perfectly matched for the 846. And they will customize the output anyways, and change the gain bias and even have various bass switch options. Maybe your ears can't tell the difference between a A200 and a C5 but mine sure can.

Jan 12, 2015 at 6:45 PM Post #8,801 of 22,945
@csglinux   If you don't mind me asking, why do you need an amp (if the iPhone 6 is so good)? Is it not loud enough?

I personally haven't found a good pairing with the 846 and any of my Apple devices. I don't own the iPhone 6 Plus but I've heard it and didn't like it. I  also didn't like the 846 with the DX90, the HiFiMAN 802,  or the FiiO X3. With those DAPs, the sub-bass was one-note-like (as if being overdriven) even on the lowest gain levels.

With Viper4Android on the Galaxy Note 3, I can turn down the sensitivity and regain the full range of sub-bass. With a variety of other settings, I have a sound that has sharp clear treble with the black filter and a cleaner larger more natural sound than with any of my Apple devices.

Jan 12, 2015 at 7:06 PM Post #8,802 of 22,945
  @csglinux   If you don't mind me asking, why do you need an amp (if the iPhone 6 is so good)? Is it not loud enough?

I personally haven't found a good pairing with the 846 and any of my Apple devices. I don't own the iPhone 6 Plus but I've heard it and didn't like it. I  also didn't like the 846 with the DX90, the HiFiMAN 802,  or the FiiO X3. With those DAPs, the sub-bass was one-note-like (as if being overdriven) even on the lowest gain levels.

With Viper4Android on the Galaxy Note 3, I can turn down the sensitivity and regain the full range of sub-bass. With a variety of other settings, I have a sound that has sharp clear treble with the black filter and a cleaner larger more natural sound than with any of my Apple devices.

I've yet to find something unamped that I like the 846's with myself. I'll try Viper4Android and see if that helps any. Thanks!
Its good to know about the DX90 and 802 I was looking into both of them for a single unit solution. 

Jan 12, 2015 at 7:13 PM Post #8,803 of 22,945
Love 846 with my DX90. And Fiio X5!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back