Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Jan 12, 2015 at 8:04 PM Post #8,806 of 22,954
No one who has bought a pair for the most part have felt like they were cheated out of their money. While I would have to explain till I was blue in the face to most people why I think they are a great value - owners know that, from the unboxing experience to the sound emanating from these little devils, Shure has created one hell of an audio device. They are built like tanks and they look like they cost a fortune. Everything screams quality. What amazes me is that a gently used pair of 535s still go for almost $400 and new ones still sell well at MSRP.

Jan 12, 2015 at 8:09 PM Post #8,807 of 22,954
  No one who has bought a pair for the most part have felt like they were cheated out of their money. While I would have to explain till I was blue in the face to most people why I think they are a great value - owners know that, from the unboxing experience to the sound emanating from these little devils, Shure has created one hell of an audio device. They are built like tanks and they look like they cost a fortune. Everything screams quality. What amazes me is that a gently used pair of 535s still go for almost $400 and new ones still sell well at MSRP.

I love how they sound and fit into my EARS, but not my ear canals, unfortunately, either OEM or Westone tips. I'm going to order some Sensaphonics custom sleeves soon (see no other choice and I don't want to get rid of them), but first - wax cleaning and hearing check.

Jan 12, 2015 at 8:16 PM Post #8,808 of 22,954

I love how they sound and fit into my EARS, but not my ear canals, unfortunately, either OEM or Westone tips. I'm going to order some Sensaphonics custom sleeves soon (see no other choice and I don't want to get rid of them), but first - wax cleaning and hearing check.

Have you tried triple-flange (Ety's) or the P-Series Comply?

Jan 12, 2015 at 8:34 PM Post #8,809 of 22,954
Have you tried triple-flange (Ety's) or the P-Series Comply?

Triple flange is sort of OK, but it's a bit too long. I guess I need to trim it somehow, but I'm not sure whether I should cut off the stem or the first flange.

Jan 12, 2015 at 8:42 PM Post #8,810 of 22,954

Triple flange is sort of OK, but it's a bit too long. I guess I need to trim it somehow, but I'm not sure whether I should cut off the stem or the first flange.

I've done both and the first flange makes it hurt less. 

Set of P-100s incoming tomorrow. I'm thinking if they're anything like the T-100 that it'll be essentially a more "neutral" experience compared to my usual Westone Star silicones, which is a good thing these days. 

Jan 12, 2015 at 8:43 PM Post #8,811 of 22,954
  It's hard to believe that despite the astronomical pricing, the 846s are able to gain a mass amount of followers
confused_face(1).gif
. Crazy!!  Who would have thought huh 

I have not seen a product that has the kind of universal response of the 846. There are certainly a few people who weren't a fan of it, but I've seen far, far more people call it a CIEM killer. I know that despite my earlier wanderlust in terms of IEMs I have no interest in going elsewhere. 

Jan 12, 2015 at 8:55 PM Post #8,812 of 22,954
I have not seen a product that has the kind of universal response of the 846. There are certainly a few people who weren't a fan of it, but I've seen far, far more people call it a CIEM killer. I know that despite my earlier wanderlust in terms of IEMs I have no interest in going elsewhere. 

Especially when you have the sensaphonics custom sleeves. They are basically a CIEM at that point!

Jan 12, 2015 at 11:05 PM Post #8,813 of 22,954
Jan 12, 2015 at 11:19 PM Post #8,814 of 22,954

This made it even worse. I'm going to order some SCS.

Very nice!  If you have any questions or inquiries, please feel free to email Claudia from Sensaphonics or PM me.  What color(s) are you going to go for?

Jan 12, 2015 at 11:26 PM Post #8,815 of 22,954
  Very nice!  If you have any questions or inquiries, please feel free to email Claudia from Sensaphonics or PM me.  What color(s) are you going to go for?

Thanks! I was thinking about Crystal Smoke, but I like your Crystal Blues too! But I still have time to decide - got otolaryngologist appointment next week to check my ears, clean the stuff out and perform the hearing test. Have to check everything is OK before biting the bullet. I have couple concerns - I have some weird and constant "stuffed" feeling and my ears are way too sensitive for quite some time now... to the point I got rid of my favorite HD600 cans because they just became unbearingly bright... that's after 10 ears of enjoying the hell out of them. So I think I have some sort of chronic ear inflammation going on.

My physician told me I might have some liquid gathering in my inner ear (behind the ear drum). But I haven't followed up with ENT after that. Think now it's time.

Jan 12, 2015 at 11:35 PM Post #8,817 of 22,954

Thanks! I was thinking about Crystal Smoke, but I like your Crystal Blues too! But I still have time to decide - got otolaryngologist appointment next week to check my ears, clean the stuff out and perform the hearing test. Have to check everything is OK before biting the bullet. I have couple concerns - I have some weird and constant "stuffed" feeling and my ears are way too sensitive for quite some time now... to the point I got rid of my favorite HD600 cans because they just became unbearingly bright... that's after 10 ears of enjoying the hell out of them. So I think I have some sort of chronic ear inflammation going on.

My physician told me I might have some liquid gathering in my inner ear (behind the ear drum). But I haven't followed up with ENT after that. Think now it's time.

The Crystal Smoke SCS has glitter in it (looks subtle in person) but is very nice in its own right.  You can also go for the swirl colors as well.  I am liking my Crystal Blue color though - just a caveat that it is not a Royal Blue type of color, more like a clear deep little bit darker than light blue.  The non-flash pictures of the Crystal Blue SCS shows the color kind of accurately, better than the flash pictures.  As for the ear 'issues', I would definitely have that checked out, and have the audiologist take care when inserting the foam-type dampers in your ears.  What's great about the SCS is that even though they are very enveloping, they are very comfortable as well.  Good luck with your process! 
bigsmile_face.gif

Jan 13, 2015 at 5:47 AM Post #8,818 of 22,954
  any notable hiss with the x5 ?

Yes, when its on the old analogue recording :wink:. Not noticed any between tracks, just a beautiful match with these un-amped players.

Jan 13, 2015 at 6:34 AM Post #8,819 of 22,954
  It's hard to believe that despite the astronomical pricing, the 846s are able to gain a mass amount of followers
confused_face(1).gif
. Crazy!!  Who would have thought huh 

I suppose more people trust it because it is from a large company like Shure. 

If it was from a smaller company like Lear or Unique Melody, it would probably not be as successful. 

Jan 13, 2015 at 8:31 AM Post #8,820 of 22,954
  I've yet to find something unamped that I like the 846's with myself. I'll try Viper4Android and see if that helps any. Thanks!
Its good to know about the DX90 and 802 I was looking into both of them for a single unit solution. 

I love the sound of the Shure unamped out of the DX90.  But my previous experience with other most other IEMS was that though amping them out of portable devices may have helped the lows sometimes, ultimately (at least with JDS O2) the added distortion at the very high end wasn't worth it.  So I've put my portable amps away.

I think it will be an interesting experiment to take out the O2 again and and put it between the DX90 and SE846.   On my calendar for tonight.  (Last night was booked --- hoooray Buckeyes)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back