Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Jan 6, 2015 at 11:32 PM Post #8,701 of 22,954
One word of caution or warning, if you plan on using an iDevice with an external amp or DAC/amp you have to disable both the cellular and wifi connection. If not, the amp or DAC amp with pick up the radio frequency interference and you will be treated to some serious hissing.

Thanks! I did not realize that.  Good to know. 

Jan 6, 2015 at 11:34 PM Post #8,702 of 22,954
  Hi Everyone:

I'm kind of a newb here and would like your input...

I have a set of Shure 846 and Shure 535. Do you recommend that I buy a DAC/Amp or just a portable Amp if I'm going to be driving these from the following sources?

1) Iphone 5s
2) Iphone 6
3) Ipad Air
4) 2014 Macbook Pro

If so, which portable amp or dac/amp would you recommend that would work well with all of the devices listed above?  If not, will driving directly from the sources be sufficient in regards to overall sound quality and without any risk of damaging the IEMs?

Thanks!

I drive them out of my iPhone 6 and 2014 rMBP and it works quite well. The iPhone 6 has some occasional buzz in the output but it sounds fine and rMBP has a hint of white noise, but again hard to recognizing when playing music even at low levels (usually only use 1/10 speaker bar).

Jan 7, 2015 at 12:29 AM Post #8,703 of 22,954

Thanks! I did not realize that.  Good to know. 

Yeah that was one reason I chose to get a good quality DAP vs getting a portable dac/amp combo. I am mostly going to be using for portability and would rather have my phone clear from cables and have a dedicated player. However, I didn't want to skimp on a player as these IEMs are something else. Personally, I went with an AK100ii because of the high quality finish and design which is supremely important for me, the volume knob (yes I chose this DAP partly because of the volume knob), ability to be used as a DAC for computer, excellent reviews, and what seems to be a great UI. It was pricey-ish I suppose, but seems like it'll be worth it. I'll know tomorrow once I get it. 

As for alternatives or cheaper options, I can only offer you my opinion based on other reviews and info, but supposedly the FIIO X5 and DX90 are the best options for your price point. Personally, I looked into both and would have opted for the DX90 although I was also looking at the Sony NZW-A17, which I thought could be cool. I did look into dac/amp combos and was looking at the fostex hp-p1, sony pha-2, and the centrance hifi m8 as they all have good reviews, are portable, and compatible with idevice lightning connectors.  

Important note for you no matter what you choose, for use with the 846 you'll need to choose a DAP or dac/amp combo that is capable of low impedance output. Most suggest going for OI of 1 or less. Otherwise you may have impedance mismatching and can cause sound quality problems. The AK100ii has an OI of 2, which has been said to be a slight mismatch on paper, but seems to pair well with the 846 so I'll try it out. It is a minor problem, but also is fantastic as these earbuds are very easy to drive, which really opens up the number of sources you can pair with.

I'd suggest digging through the Portable Source forum as much as you can and get a feel for the different devices as they all offer different experiences, sound qualities, positives and negatives. This will help you make the best decision that YOU will be happy with.

Good luck and happy hunting!

Jan 7, 2015 at 12:50 AM Post #8,704 of 22,954
  In mine it's definitely more than the o-ring.  The whole earbud creaks when it flexes, and the axis of motion turns on a point behind the post rather than at its base.  It seems clear that there's a little bit of give to the insides.

Yeah on one or both of mine (forget) the part that says SE846 (part that gathers sound from all 4 drivers and shoots it in to the nozzle) movies around it's axis maybe 1mm, between the acrylic stoppers. Only happens when I'm twisting off a tip

Not really an issue but if it bothers you hit up Shure see what they say

As far as creaking, it happens to almost every pair from what I have seen/read. Again, not an issue sonically or aesthetically.

Jan 7, 2015 at 1:46 AM Post #8,705 of 22,954
One word of caution or warning, if you plan on using an iDevice with an external amp or DAC/amp you have to disable both the cellular and wifi connection. If not, the amp or DAC amp with pick up the radio frequency interference and you will be treated to some serious hissing.

Hi Everyone:

I have a set of Shure 846 and Shure 535. Do you recommend that I buy a DAC/Amp or just a portable Amp if I'm going to be driving these from the following sources?

1) Iphone 5s
2) Iphone 6
3) Ipad Air
4) 2014 Macbook Pro

If so, which portable amp or dac/amp would you recommend that would work well with all of the devices listed above?  If not, will driving directly from the sources be sufficient in regards to overall sound quality and without any risk of damaging the IEMs?

Thanks!

You will get a decent sound out of the iPhones, but a correctly paired dedicated DAC/amp will make a very notable difference, especially for the MacBook. From my experience, the MacBooks are a very poor source, given that they're not really designed with audio performance in mind. In fact, most laptops are poor sources.

Jan 7, 2015 at 2:09 AM Post #8,706 of 22,954

I never had that issue with my a200p, my apple and samsung devices worked fine. The only slight hiss was from the noise floor which was present no matter what it was plugged into.

Jan 7, 2015 at 2:16 AM Post #8,707 of 22,954
  Hi Everyone:

1) Iphone 5s
2) Iphone 6
3) Ipad Air
4) 2014 Macbook Pro

Thanks!

I think if you're only playing standard itunes quality music then plugging straight into the device will suffice. If you playing hi-rez stuff then you'll want to grab an dac/amp or dedicated DAP.

Jan 7, 2015 at 7:41 AM Post #8,708 of 22,954

If I can find something under $350 that will make a difference and drive both the 8's and 5's from all those sources perfectly that will be great.  I can possibly go a little bit over that amount if necessary though. 

Apex glacier is a good option and has already been tested here with the se846. You may be able to still get one but I heard they ended production 

ttvj has them 

Jan 7, 2015 at 8:14 AM Post #8,709 of 22,954
I tested the Apex Glacier with my laptop, not phone. On my phone it seems I need to have it one gain level above what I have it set on for laptop, which is a pain since I have to go find a paperclip and press that gain button every time I swap sources.

On the laptop it is pitch black, no hiss.

Jan 7, 2015 at 10:25 AM Post #8,712 of 22,954
  As a proud 535 owner as well I will attest it is an able foot soldier on the road to sonic bliss.

But the 535 is, to borrow from one of my earlier Battlestar Gallactica analogies, like a Cylon Centurion. Drones in the war against humans.

The 8s well they are the much more evolved and stunningly beautiful Cylon Skin Jobs.... 

There is no question which I prefer to have inside of my head, Just call me Gaius Baltar

This explains why my 535s have been boxed where they shall remain until they are needed in the inevitable war against the Apes

I was tempted to go with a Sex and Condom analogy but that is reserved for the SCS... Like wearing nothing at all :) 

Great analogy!
biggrin.gif
 And I'm probably springing for the SCS's too when I get to it. 

Jan 7, 2015 at 10:30 AM Post #8,713 of 22,954
Great analogy! :D  And I'm probably springing for the SCS's too when I get to it. 

Do you have any issues with the sizes-fit-all tips you have tried? Just wondering why you are considering purchasing the SCS.

Jan 7, 2015 at 10:38 AM Post #8,714 of 22,954
Do you have any issues with the sizes-fit-all tips you have tried? Just wondering why you are considering purchasing the SCS.

The default tips of 535's fit fine to me and give a good seal, I just figured that SCS's would give me the best of both worlds. As a matter of fact, I'm currently reading your review of the SCS's. 

Jan 7, 2015 at 11:20 AM Post #8,715 of 22,954
Finally.

1/07/2015 - Wednesday
6:40 amOn FedEx vehicle for delivery LENEXA, KS

Users who are viewing this thread

Back