Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Dec 19, 2014 at 12:55 AM Post #8,386 of 22,945
  Is there any difference between the black and blue foams inside the filters? I tried the black mod but I didn't like it, sounded a little too harsh for me. I swapped the foams between the black and blue filter and really digging how it sounds right now. 

From what I have experienced, the blue foams are less dense than the black filters - that should be what is "changing/creating" the FR +/- 2.5 dB in the 1kHz - 8kHz frequency region.  If someone else wants to chime in with anything else regarding the filters, please do so.

Dec 19, 2014 at 1:14 AM Post #8,387 of 22,945
  I don't believe the E18 would pair well with them given how sensitive the 846 is. The E12A was said to be good since it was designed for IEMs and has a impedance < 1 ohm. There are many DAC/amps for a little over $200 that also has an impedance under 1 though, if you want something more.

Ahhh i see.... what other amps are recommended?
I plan to mod my iPod because there is a modding service in Hong Kong (where I'm from) as well to hopefully pump out very good sounds to the SE846

Quote:
Congratulations on your purchase Dreamer2go, and welcome to the club!

Thank you Black Label! Will continue to follow this thread!!!

Dec 19, 2014 at 1:27 AM Post #8,388 of 22,945

From what I have experienced, the blue foams are less dense than the black filters - that should be what is "changing/creating" the FR +/- 2.5 dB in the 1kHz - 8kHz frequency region.  If someone else wants to chime in with anything else regarding the filters, please do so.

Yeah I notice when I picked them up, the black ones with a bit more stiffer. I read a lot of people "modding" their filters, but have you guys tried swapping foams betweens filters? Right now I have blue's foam in the black filter, and it sounds crazy good. I'm going try swapping foams between all three filter to see which one I like best.  

Dec 19, 2014 at 11:49 AM Post #8,389 of 22,945
I just want to chime in on Duncan's words (was it this thread or another one? Maybe the Chord Hugo thread...)

The Shure white + Chord Hugo is just pure sonic bliss. Detailed, clear, with energetic highs that are never sharp, and the same mids and lows that are exactly what we love about this IEM.

I'm listening out of a copper cable, so ymmv.

Dec 19, 2014 at 11:50 AM Post #8,390 of 22,945
  Thank you Black Label! Will continue to follow this thread!!!

Welcome!

I've been in this game for a while, and nothing staves off upgraditis quite like the 846. You'll be having fun with the different filters for time to come... Mark my words.

Dec 19, 2014 at 1:25 PM Post #8,391 of 22,945
Gah, I think I'm done with braided custom cables for now. Really stiff and annoying to work with in the winter. I use my 8's on the bus/walking with winters layers on, gets annoying as hell. Stock cable (memory wire removed) is better in that regard, and is built like a Sherman tank. Back to stock until further notice!

I kind of want a twisted cable like this:

That's the Lunashops Extreme Soft 5N OCC + Silver Plated Earphone Cable 
Seems like a great value for $40

Dec 19, 2014 at 1:26 PM Post #8,392 of 22,945
So, I've just been to a really nice store and listened to these. I got my own room and listened for about 80 minutes and A/B tested them with the Shure SE535 and my IE80's.
I'm quite impressed by the bass, I must say, never heard anything like it in an IEM. 
But after this experience I just can't justify dropping my IE80's and spending 800 euros on these. Sure, they are better than the IE80's, no doubt, but it isn't THAT big of a leap. I'm kind of disappointed actually. 
I tried the 535's as well, and boy do they sound bad compared to the other IEM's I tried today. If I owned the 535, I would have bought the 846 in a heartbeat. But compared to the IE80, the 846 just isn't that big of a leap so that I can justify spending that money. 
The main purpose I wanted these for was for sleeping on the side, and that's just not going to happen, these are way bigger than the IE80, though I must say, they're comfortable for their size.
Ah well, sadly, I think I'll just have to turn and look for customs. Customs must be the best to side sleep in right? 
If I could just have some of that 846 bass though, impeccable bass indeed.

Thanks everybody in here for all your help, it really helped. These kind of sound a lot like the IE80, just a tad better in every area. Except the bass, the bass is way better, completely different level. 

Is it possible to find this sound in a custom in the same price range?

Edit: The super stiff cable really bothered me on both the 535 and the 846.

Dec 19, 2014 at 1:40 PM Post #8,393 of 22,945
Gah, I think I'm done with braided custom cables for now. Really stiff and annoying to work with in the winter. I use my 8's on the bus/walking with winters layers on, gets annoying as hell. Stock cable (memory wire removed) is better in that regard, and is built like a Sherman tank. Back to stock until further notice!

I kind of want a twisted cable like this:

That's the Lunashops [COLOR=0000FF]Extreme Soft 5N OCC + Silver Plated Earphone Cable [/COLOR]
Seems like a great value for $40

What cables were you using prior to switching back to the stock?

Dec 19, 2014 at 2:03 PM Post #8,394 of 22,945
What cables were you using prior to switching back to the stock?

93SPEC, ALO SXC24, local guy's 7N OCC custom cable, and a few others at a show. They sound great, but are too stiff for my liking. 

I have to clip them to my pocket to sit flush to my body, making it EXTREMELY annoying to take my phone out of said pocket. I purposely miss calls/texts so I don't have to do it lol. 

Dec 19, 2014 at 2:46 PM Post #8,396 of 22,945
I've been using Headphone Lounge's Reference (LITZ  24AWG  40 STRAND  OCC SILVER) for a week now (replaced Silver Dragons). The Headphone Lounge cable has a great feel, not stiff, and relatively inexpensive.

Dec 19, 2014 at 4:21 PM Post #8,397 of 22,945
  I've been using Headphone Lounge's Reference (LITZ  24AWG  40 STRAND  OCC SILVER) for a week now (replaced Silver Dragons). The Headphone Lounge cable has a great feel, not stiff, and relatively inexpensive.

How did you like your silver dragon? 

Dec 19, 2014 at 4:54 PM Post #8,399 of 22,945
So, I've just been to a really nice store and listened to these. I got my own room and listened for about 80 minutes and A/B tested them with the Shure SE535 and my IE80's.
I'm quite impressed by the bass, I must say, never heard anything like it in an IEM. 
But after this experience I just can't justify dropping my IE80's and spending 800 euros on these. Sure, they are better than the IE80's, no doubt, but it isn't THAT big of a leap. I'm kind of disappointed actually. 
I tried the 535's as well, and boy do they sound bad compared to the other IEM's I tried today. If I owned the 535, I would have bought the 846 in a heartbeat. But compared to the IE80, the 846 just isn't that big of a leap so that I can justify spending that money. 
The main purpose I wanted these for was for sleeping on the side, and that's just not going to happen, these are way bigger than the IE80, though I must say, they're comfortable for their size.
Ah well, sadly, I think I'll just have to turn and look for customs. Customs must be the best to side sleep in right? 
If I could just have some of that 846 bass though, impeccable bass indeed.

Thanks everybody in here for all your help, it really helped. These kind of sound a lot like the IE80, just a tad better in every area. Except the bass, the bass is way better, completely different level. 

Is it possible to find this sound in a custom in the same price range?

Edit: The super stiff cable really bothered me on both the 535 and the 846.

The CIEM that I would recommend in the same price range as the SE846 (until 12/31 when the sale will end) is the EarWerkz Legend R. Basically, it is comparable (and more coherent than most, at least) to the current TOTLs on the market today. I adore the universal demo I have in my possession now.

Dec 19, 2014 at 4:55 PM Post #8,400 of 22,945
Sounded great if I kept my head still. Kept cutting out in the right channel on two different cables. The Silver Dragons tends to kink and the memory wire was uncomfortable. I like the build, function, and feel of Ted's cable. The sound is balanced and just a little brighter and more detail over the Silver Dragons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back