Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Dec 17, 2014 at 9:42 PM Post #8,356 of 22,954
Are the SE846 as low profile as the other headphones in the SE-line up? 
I'm asking because I would want to able to sleep with these on.
At the moment I'm using the Sennheiser IE80's but they're not comfortable/flush enough to be able to sleep on the side with.
They get pushed too far into my ear and it begins to hurt after a while.
I'm asking because I want them mainly for use at the office and I wouldn't want to downgrade from my IE80 but I must be able to sleep with them. I have tinnitus and my girlfriend dislikes when I have the TV on at night.
You get it, I want to upgrade from the IE80's and am wondering if these are low profile enough to sleep with.
Thanks a bunch.

Dec 17, 2014 at 9:49 PM Post #8,357 of 22,954
  Are the SE846 as low profile as the other headphones in the SE-line up? 
I'm asking because I would want to able to sleep with these on.
At the moment I'm using the Sennheiser IE80's but they're not comfortable/flush enough to be able to sleep on the side with.
They get pushed too far into my ear and it begins to hurt after a while.
I'm asking because I want them mainly for use at the office and I wouldn't want to downgrade from my IE80 but I must be able to sleep with them. I have tinnitus and my girlfriend dislikes when I have the TV on at night.
You get it, I want to upgrade from the IE80's and am wondering if these are low profile enough to sleep with.
Thanks a bunch.

They're only slightly larger than the SE425, but they won't be completely flush against your ear unless you have big ears. With that said, the housing is rounded and I had actually fallen asleep with them on a few times. 

Dec 17, 2014 at 9:56 PM Post #8,358 of 22,954
  They're only slightly larger than the SE425, but they won't be completely flush against your ear unless you have big ears. With that said, the housing is rounded and I had actually fallen asleep with them on a few times. 

So, you think these would be less comfortable than the IE80's?
I think I have normal sized ears.. Haha, I haven't had them measured or compared with anyone though. :wink:

Dec 17, 2014 at 10:02 PM Post #8,359 of 22,954
  So, you think these would be less comfortable than the IE80's?
I think I have normal sized ears.. Haha, I haven't had them measured or compared with anyone though. :wink:

I personally found the 846 to be much more comfortable. I own both IEMs and the IE80's oddly shaped housing tends to wobble around in my ear, while the 846's fit is much more secure. I consider my ears of average size as well and they fit snugly in my canal. 

Dec 17, 2014 at 10:07 PM Post #8,360 of 22,954
  I personally found the 846 to be much more comfortable. I own both IEMs and the IE80's oddly shaped housing tends to wobble around in my ear, while the 846's fit is much more secure. I consider my ears of average size as well and they fit snugly in my canal. 

That's great news! Do the 846 protrude more from your ear than the IE80 though? Since side sleeping is the biggest concern?
I don't even know if the problem is that they protrude too much, I think the biggest issue is that it hurts when the earphone gets pushed into the canal and that the housing gets pushed into the ear.
Also, a bit more isolation wouldn't be too bad. Is it a big upgrade would you say?
Thanks a lot for your input, you're of great help in this time of need. :)

Dec 17, 2014 at 10:12 PM Post #8,361 of 22,954
  That's great news! Do the 846 protrude more from your ear than the IE80 though? Since side sleeping is the biggest concern?
I don't even know if the problem is that they protrude too much, I think the biggest issue is that it hurts when the earphone gets pushed into the canal and that the housing gets pushed into the ear.
Also, a bit more isolation wouldn't be too bad. Is it a big upgrade would you say?
Thanks a lot for your input, you're of great help in this time of need. :)

The 846 does protrude a little more than the IE80, but since its rounded, it's not as noticeable as the IE80. I don't normally sleep with the 846 on, but there has been members on this thread that have said they do. As for the housing getting pushed into your ear, I don't think that would be an issue. If you meant to ask whether the 846 will provide a noticeable sonic upgrade from the IE80, I would say yes, a definite yes. The IE80 is a great IEM in its own right, but next to the SE846, the bass sounds loose, and the mids sound veiled. You'll probably appreciate the further extended treble on the SE846 as well, given how dull the IE80 could sound at times. 

Dec 17, 2014 at 10:15 PM Post #8,362 of 22,954
  The 846 does protrude a little more than the IE80, but since its rounded, it's not as noticeable as the IE80. I don't normally sleep with the 846 on, but there has been members on this thread that have said they do. As for the housing getting pushed into your ear, I don't think that would be an issue. If you meant to ask whether the 846 will provide a noticeable sonic upgrade from the IE80, I would say yes, a definite yes. The IE80 is a great IEM in its own right, but next to the SE846, the bass sounds loose, and the mids sound veiled. You'll probably appreciate the further extended treble on the SE846 as well, given how dull the IE80 could sound at times. 

That's exactly what I was asking. I have never found the IE80's dull, at all. I actually really like them. I've had them for almost two years now and the only complaint I'd say I have experienced is that they don't have THAT good of an isolation when riding the train to work. 
To my defence though, I haven't heard any other higher end IEM. They're by far the best I've heard this far. Will go and try out the 846 in the store tomorrow though, thanks again for your help. I think you might have just sold me on my first high end IEM. :)

Dec 17, 2014 at 10:30 PM Post #8,363 of 22,954
  That's exactly what I was asking. I have never found the IE80's dull, at all. I actually really like them. I've had them for almost two years now and the only complaint I'd say I have experienced is that they don't have THAT good of an isolation when riding the train to work. 
To my defence though, I haven't heard any other higher end IEM. They're by far the best I've heard this far. Will go and try out the 846 in the store tomorrow though, thanks again for your help. I think you might have just sold me on my first high end IEM. :)

You're welcome. I think the only reason I found the IE80 dull sounding was because I listened to them after having owned the SE846. Regardless, I think you'll love the SE846. Please let us know what you think if you decide to purchase it. 
etysmile.gif

Dec 17, 2014 at 11:11 PM Post #8,364 of 22,954
The 846's do bother me when I am laying on my side, ear on the pillow.

They also get pressed into my ear with my full Shoei helmet on.
Then again, both my UE-10's and JH-13's bother me too. Constant pressure.
My 535's are more comfortable in both those scenarios.

Dec 17, 2014 at 11:38 PM Post #8,365 of 22,954
  The 846's do bother me when I am laying on my side, ear on the pillow.

They also get pressed into my ear with my full Shoei helmet on.
Then again, both my UE-10's and JH-13's bother me too. Constant pressure.
My 535's are more comfortable in both those scenarios.

And how do the 535 stack up to the 846 in sound? :)

Dec 18, 2014 at 12:05 AM Post #8,366 of 22,954
For anyone that is interested:  Sensaphonics just announced a holiday sale with several offers, including custom earplug discounts and an SCS bundle (buy a SE846, get the custom sleeves free). 

Here's a link to the announcement:
http://www.sensaphonics.com/gift-of-good-hearing-holiday-specials.

Happy listening!™
bigsmile_face.gif

Dec 18, 2014 at 1:23 AM Post #8,367 of 22,954

Different planetary system - as for IE80 not being a TOTL IEM - I beg to differ - when they first were introduced (IE8) they were almost $500 - a huge number at the time - and they performed at that level, but it was a different signature. It was bass heavy with a huge soundstage - it proved that dynamic drivers could play with the high-end BA headphones (TF10 and the like) I loved mine - I loved my IE80's that came later - now of course, technology has left these guys behind, but some things remain - huge soundstage, built like a tank, still one of the best cables in the business - copious bass and nice, clear treble. 

Do they compare to today's TOTL? Oh, hell no! But they are going for $250 now and a Dita Truth costs $999.... so you get what you pay for. As for sleeping, the 846 is a bit better as when the pillow presses against the IEM, the nozzle isn't being directly pressed into your ear hole like the IE80 - the body of the 846 is being pressed against your ear, not the nozzle - so it is not as severe.... IMO

Dec 18, 2014 at 2:36 AM Post #8,368 of 22,954

I think the 846 is significantly bigger than the 535. But my ears aren't super big. For sleeping on the side, the 215 and 535 are better in my opinion.

Dec 18, 2014 at 7:57 AM Post #8,369 of 22,954
Daphen: Using the Star tips by Westone I have found sleeping on my side possible with the 8s in, depending on the pullow.

I had similar success with the IE8s as well but they offered only 2/3 of the isolation if that. I need such isolation when visiting the folks because the family St. Bernards begin singing for their breakfast at about 4.30 each morning.

Dec 18, 2014 at 9:21 AM Post #8,370 of 22,954

Take this advice from someone who JUST got an 846, who loves the 535 compared to other, more "fun" headphones that cost more such as the IE800 and the AKG K3003.

The 846 is everything you loved about the 535+ better bass and treble. The mids are a tad bit silkier and less in your face, but still pronounced. The 535 is great for vocal monitoring, but the 836 is WAY better sounding in terms of entertainment and music listening

Users who are viewing this thread

Back