Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Dec 18, 2014 at 9:22 AM Post #8,371 of 22,945
I regularly sleep with the 846s in my ears.  The 530s disappeared --- I forgot they were there.  I find the 846s slightly larger.  Most of the time I have no problem but I'll occasionally wake up and be aware of some discomfort and remove them.

Unfortunately, I think you'll have to try for yourself to be sure, or take a big hit in SQ and step down to a say, 535.

Dec 18, 2014 at 10:13 AM Post #8,372 of 22,945
So, the 535 is a huge step down from the 846. Then I can't go for the 535 of course. I'm thinking about getting one of those pillows with a hole in the middle. Then I can use which ever IEM I want. :) 
Would you guys say the 846 is the best in this price range? What's good about them is that they're available in Sweden so I could split the payment into two parts so that way it wouldn't hurt the economy THAT much, all though it's still quite a hefty amount. Considering they're used like 8 hours every day, I don't think I'd regret it. But I would want to get the best I can get for the money of course.
Thanks a lot for all the answers!

Dec 18, 2014 at 10:38 AM Post #8,373 of 22,945
So, the 535 is a huge step down from the 846. Then I can't go for the 535 of course. I'm thinking about getting one of those pillows with a hole in the middle. Then I can use which ever IEM I want. :) 
Would you guys say the 846 is the best in this price range? What's good about them is that they're available in Sweden so I could split the payment into two parts so that way it wouldn't hurt the economy THAT much, all though it's still quite a hefty amount. Considering they're used like 8 hours every day, I don't think I'd regret it. But I would want to get the best I can get for the money of course.
Thanks a lot for all the answers!

This past week for me, I've compared the 846 to the akg k3003 and senheiser ie800. I also use 535s. The shure was my fav out of all. Most balanced yet pleasing out of them all.

If you like awesome reference quality, I'd say the shures are for you.

If you want something more colorful and entertaining, perhaps get something else

Dec 18, 2014 at 11:04 AM Post #8,374 of 22,945
This past week for me, I've compared the 846 to the akg k3003 and senheiser ie800. I also use 535s. The shure was my fav out of all. Most balanced yet pleasing out of them all.

If you want something more colorful and entertaining, perhaps get something else

No, I like neutral sounding headphones but I also like bass when called for. Bass is fun. :) 
I still like my IE80's and haven't heard a better IEM as of yet. I'll demo the SE846 tomorrow, hoping my love for the IE80's will disappear quickly and be totally crushed by the 846 though, so I can justify the pricetag, they do cost about three times more. :)

Dec 18, 2014 at 11:11 AM Post #8,375 of 22,945

No, I like neutral sounding headphones but I also like bass when called for. Bass is fun. :) 
I still like my IE80's and haven't heard a better IEM as of yet. I'll demo the SE846 tomorrow, hoping my love for the IE80's will disappear quickly and be totally crushed by the 846 though, so I can justify the pricetag, they do cost about three times more. :)

Then you will love the 846.

Dec 18, 2014 at 11:20 AM Post #8,376 of 22,945

The cost IS daunting.  In the states, they can be found for about %20 or so less than list price if you look around.  Regardless of the price, though, you don't seem to come across many people who think they've paid too much!

Dec 18, 2014 at 11:28 AM Post #8,377 of 22,945

The cost IS daunting.  In the states, they can be found for about %20 or so less than list price if you look around.  Regardless of the price, though, you don't seem to come across many people who think they've paid too much!

Yeah, they're 800 euros where I live. So, 30% more expensive than in the US.

Dec 18, 2014 at 2:59 PM Post #8,378 of 22,945
Just got an email from Sensaphonics which had a holiday special of 846 + their incredible custom sleeves for $1000.

If you were on the fence and know you want custom sleeves (a fabulous upgrade IME), then I'd jump on this. Love my custom sleeves. What a great seal you can get from silicon.

Dec 18, 2014 at 3:49 PM Post #8,379 of 22,945
Just got an email from Sensaphonics which had a holiday special of 846 + their incredible custom sleeves for $1000.

If you were on the fence and know you want custom sleeves (a fabulous upgrade IME), then I'd jump on this. Love my custom sleeves. What a great seal you can get from silicon.

What are the benefits of getting the SE846 with custom sleeves over getting a custom in the 1k price region?

Just read a couple of more interviews and some of them seem to think they are really large. Their statements make me uncomfortable.. 

Dec 18, 2014 at 4:16 PM Post #8,380 of 22,945

Yeah, posted the Sensaphonics promotion on the previous page.
bigsmile_face.gif
  Glad you like your SCS!  Very good to hear.
beerchug.gif
 (Nestle tangerine sparkling water in my glass)

What are the benefits of getting the SE846 with custom sleeves over getting a custom in the 1k price region?

Just read a couple of more interviews and some of them seem to think they are really large. Their statements make me uncomfortable.. 

The benefits of the custom sleeves over customs are that you can easily sell your universal with custom sleeves (you keep the custom sleeves of course) if you want to sell it in the future, and you can let everyone still listen to your universal.  Having a custom IEM means that you will not be able to share your CIEM, and will take a larger hit (won't be able to get as much as you paid) regarding selling the CIEM if you choose to do that in the future.

Check out my review of the Sensaphonics Custom Sleeves below (in my signature), and that should answer most of your inquiries, thoughts, etc.  Good luck!

Dec 18, 2014 at 7:12 PM Post #8,381 of 22,945
These really isolate superbly. I used them on the plane a couple of times and they blocked out pretty much everything and I was listening at around 150 low gain with the DX90. 

Dec 18, 2014 at 9:35 PM Post #8,382 of 22,945
Just got the SE846!!! So happy with the purchase. 
Mirroring to what everyone said, the bass is deep yet clear, warm mids and punchy highs... I won't buy any other earphones anymore!

Question:
Will the FiiO E12 headphone amp be good enough that pairs with my iPod 5.5 / iPhone 6? Or should I get Fiio E18 so I can use it for my Retina Macbook Pro as well? (Any other recommendations welcomed to a newbie audiophile!) 
Thanks!

Dec 18, 2014 at 9:39 PM Post #8,383 of 22,945
  Just got the SE846!!! So happy with the purchase. 
Mirroring to what everyone said, the bass is deep yet clear, warm mids and punchy highs... I won't buy any other earphones anymore!

Question:
Will the FiiO E12 headphone amp be good enough that pairs with my iPod 5.5 / iPhone 6? Or should I get Fiio E18 so I can use it for my Retina Macbook Pro as well? (Any other recommendations welcomed to a newbie audiophile!) 
Thanks!

I don't believe the E18 would pair well with them given how sensitive the 846 is. The E12A was said to be good since it was designed for IEMs and has a impedance < 1 ohm. There are many DAC/amps for a little over $200 that also has an impedance under 1 though, if you want something more.

Dec 18, 2014 at 10:29 PM Post #8,384 of 22,945
Congratulations on your purchase Dreamer2go, and welcome to the club!

Dec 19, 2014 at 12:49 AM Post #8,385 of 22,945
Is there any difference between the black and blue foams inside the filters? I tried the black mod but I didn't like it, sounded a little too harsh for me. I swapped the foams between the black and blue filter and really digging how it sounds right now. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back