Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Dec 7, 2014 at 8:36 PM Post #8,071 of 22,945
  Sweet + savory is a global culinary theme.  Pineapple on pizza is an example.  

Anchovies, however, are not actually `culinary`, they are objects, rejected by catfood manufacturers, for failing quality-control parameters.  After collection and disposal, they are squeezed into tins and re-sold to the unwary.  

I sold my SE846 a few days ago, so I shouldn`t even be here. 

What? You didn't come back to visit old friends? 
etysmile.gif
 And I know it's a global theme, but it's less popular in traditional American cooking. The only thing I can think of is Turkey and Cranberry sauce at the moment.

Dec 7, 2014 at 8:39 PM Post #8,072 of 22,945
Sweet + savory is a global culinary theme.  Pineapple on pizza is an example.  

Anchovies, however, are not actually `culinary`, they are objects, rejected by catfood manufacturers, for failing quality-control parameters.  After collection and disposal, they are squeezed into tins and re-sold to the unwary.  

I sold my SE846 a few days ago, so I shouldn`t even be here. 

Non owners are always welcome. Ex-owners though...? I am SO just kidding! Hope you find the ear/headphone of your dreams if you haven't found one already!

Dec 7, 2014 at 8:48 PM Post #8,074 of 22,945
Alright I'm chiming in here. For one its the type of anchovie that is important, big fat hairy ones in glass jars of oil are what one is after. Avoid the tin ones. They are more costly but worth it, kinda like 846. Second all this talk of grease wheels has my salivation glands going. Maybe tomorrow, way to hung over for that right now. Listening to John digweed Miami live sessions with my dac amp, and the base pump through the eights is through the roof.

Dec 7, 2014 at 8:55 PM Post #8,075 of 22,945
Alright I'm chiming in here. For one its the type of anchovie that is important, big fat hairy ones in glass jars of oil are what one is after. Avoid the tin ones. They are more costly but worth it, kinda like 846. Second all this talk of grease wheels has my salivation glands going. Maybe tomorrow, way to hung over for that right now. Listening to John digweed Miami live sessions with my dac amp, and the base pump through the eights is through the roof.

Seems like we have an anchovy connoisseur here. 
tongue_smile.gif
 I'm currently putting my SE846 aside to test the pair of HD598s I just got in the mail. I must say that I'm more pleased with them than I expected. 

It's a fantastic way for bachelors to wash their feet and a pair of socks for tomorrow. 
smile.gif

A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do!

Lmao.

Dec 7, 2014 at 9:02 PM Post #8,076 of 22,945
Non owners are always welcome. Ex-owners though...? I am SO just kidding! Hope you find the ear/headphone of your dreams if you haven't found one already!

The hunt continues, though for now the JVC FX850 and ATH CKR9 tag-team are giving me almost everything I desire from the iem experience. 

But there was something else, something off, between me and the 846.  I`m a huge Senn fan, and yet I agree completely with the comments made by Duncan and others regarding the IE800 vs 846 battle: it`s no battle at all.  Those were my two supposed end-game IEMS a year ago, and I set up a high-quality (i.e. silent, undisturbed)  A-B audiitioning session in a shop here in Tokyo.  The 846 was just so obviously in another league, so much better.  And the IE800 is pretty damned amazing itself.  

So I got the 846.  But . . .  - I posted this in the CKR9 forum: 

I have nothing but good things to say about the 846 sound.  If I saw a survey that said the 846 recieved the highest average score for SQ of any IEM on the planet, it wouldn`t surprise me.  I actually love them, as a peice of brilliant engineering, as ergonomic, acoustic, aesthetic genius.  But when I look back at my 12 months of owning them, and several other HPs, they do not rank as my favorite, or even all that appealing.  I simply don`t really like listening to them.  My HD800s I cannot live without - I`d go homeless before I sold those.  For iems, for whatever purpose - sleeping, working out, commuting, whatever, I nearly always instinctively chose something else.  Usually my JVC fxz200, an iem 1/5 the price of the 846.   After getting the JVC fx850 a few weeks ago, I knew it was time to sell the SE846.  I can`t explain this paradox - I know, I can hear it : the 846 are better sounding.  Better detail, astonishingly complex bass, better isolation, etc.  But I just don`t like `em. 

Actually, that`s not true - I like them, I just don`t like listening to them.  Irrational, I know.  I`m stil a huge fan of them, which is why I`m still lurking on this thread and haven`t unsubscribed.  

Dec 7, 2014 at 9:02 PM Post #8,077 of 22,945

Seems like we have an anchovy connoisseur here. :tongue_smile:  I'm currently putting my SE846 aside to test the pair of HD598s I just got in the mail. I must say that I'm more pleased with them than I expected. 

"Hope you like them, my th900 are getting new cable, Jenna labs 28 awg cryogenic copper, down in the states right now. So my 8 are my only source, so I'm getting close and personnel with them. Can't say I mind that much."

Dec 7, 2014 at 9:18 PM Post #8,078 of 22,945
Hope you like them, my th900 are getting new cable, Jenna labs 28 awg cryogenic copper, down in the states right now. So my 8 are my only source, so I'm getting close and personnel with them. Can't say I mind that much."

Thanks. They're the first pair of cans I ever purchased, and possibly the last. I pretty much picked them up on a whim during one of Amazon's ridiculous promotions, but I have no regrets. The 846 was the only pair of IEMs I brought on my trip, so I spent plenty of intimate time with them. I don't regret it one bit, but after spending almost two weeks of listening to them exclusively, these HD598s are a nice change of pace . . . for the the next few hours anyway. lol I hope your get your cans back soon though. It's always nice to have other options on hand. 

Dec 7, 2014 at 10:06 PM Post #8,079 of 22,945
I have to admit, I'm confused by someone praising the sound but then saying they don't like the product. What is unappealing? 

Dec 7, 2014 at 10:12 PM Post #8,080 of 22,945
  I have to admit, I'm confused by someone praising the sound but then saying they don't like the product. What is unappealing? 

I believe the price might have something to do with it. The 846 is an expensive item, it's hard for some people to not have that sitting in the back of their heads whenever they reach for it. I once owned a very expensive Belstaff jacket, but found myself seldom wearing it for some reason, perhaps it had something to with being scared that it would be ruined, perhaps not. It almost feels like a subconscious decision. 

Dec 7, 2014 at 10:19 PM Post #8,081 of 22,945
  Well i just got my 846s and I think they are very good. However, I am not completely floored as I was expecting. 

My source is my iphone6/macbook pro w/ spotify 320 and I am throwing out all genres. 

They do sound very clear but I feel like they lack impact compared to my JVC Fx 850s. Bass feels a bit sparse and the timbre is not as lush. The soundstage does feel similar though. 

I am using the stock foams as the silicone tips drastically reduce the sound stage. I am using the balanced filter. 

Am I missing something?

Hang in there.  I was initially underwhelmed (with identical sources), but my appreciation of these IEMs continues to grow by the day.  Gave up on the macbook as a source some time ago, using the iPhone 5S w/Spotify 320 exclusively now.  Tried multiple tips and of course filters.  Settled on the medium Shure olives for their comfort, isolation, and impact on the sound; switch between the blue and white filters depending on my mood and genre. 
One of these days, i plan to post my thoughts on this evolutionary process.  All i will say for now is that the journey has been well worth it.  And the regulars on this thread are the nicest people, which makes the experience that much more enjoyable!

Dec 7, 2014 at 10:26 PM Post #8,082 of 22,945

Oh, I`m confused too.  

Like I said, when I look back at owning them for a year, my overal impression is not good.  It`s intangible, I believe, at some level of the brain that I`m not conciously able to analyze.  Like vanilla vs chocolate or why one person`s face is attractive and another`s is not.  I don`t think it had anything to do with the price, but then again if I`m not able to analyze . . . .    

I kept them for so long because, like I said, I can hear that they are fantastic.   I sold them on and feel good about that, too.  I like them more now that they are gone.  

I had a girlfreind in college who I have parallel emotions for . . .  

Dec 7, 2014 at 10:46 PM Post #8,083 of 22,945
  I believe the price might have something to do with it. The 846 is an expensive item, it's hard for some people to not have that sitting in the back of their heads whenever they reach for it. I once owned a very expensive Belstaff jacket, but found myself seldom wearing it for some reason, perhaps it had something to with being scared that it would be ruined, perhaps not. It almost feels like a subconscious decision. 

Bingo.  Also the psychology of a guilty pleasure cannot be overstated.  Think of the Betty Crocker cake mixes.  If you've ever wondered why an instant cake mix requires the addition of fresh eggs, you will in fact uncover the genius of modern psychological manipulation (largely credited to Sigmund Freud's nephew, Edward Bernays, AKA the godfather of spin and the forefather of modern PR - 
Read more:  http://www.cracked.com/article_19833_the-7-sneakiest-ways-corporations-manipulated-human-behavior.html#ixzz3LH4qOpkB).  The point about the fresh eggs was to give the preparer (i.e., "wife" for the demographic and generational target of the marketing) a sense of satisfaction that she was contributing to the effort and therefore responsible for the enjoyment of her family.  
Now, if only Shure would come up with a way to make me feel like i'm ending world hunger or reversing climate change every time I put these on....

Dec 7, 2014 at 11:09 PM Post #8,084 of 22,945

Oh, I`m confused too.  

Like I said, when I look back at owning them for a year, my overal impression is not good.  It`s intangible, I believe, at some level of the brain that I`m not conciously able to analyze.  Like vanilla vs chocolate or why one person`s face is attractive and another`s is not.  I don`t think it had anything to do with the price, but then again if I`m not able to analyze . . . .    

If you find yourself preferring single (dynamic or BA) driver models or even multi-driver IEMs that lack crossover circuitry (for example, the AT IM70) you could credit yourself with extreme sensitivity to time alignment issues.  
If you're interested in exploring this topic further, a_recording's excellent head-fi post covers it somewhat exhaustively and makes a good read.  http://www.head-fi.org/t/679046/comparison-review-the-quads-westone-w4r-vs-logitech-ue-900-vs-sony-xba-40 

Dec 7, 2014 at 11:28 PM Post #8,085 of 22,945
That was a good read.  The time issue could very well be why I didn`t develope a long lasting affair with the 846 sound.  

Thanks for that link. 

d

Users who are viewing this thread

Back