Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Dec 6, 2014 at 5:38 PM Post #8,041 of 22,960

Hugo Chavez???? 

evil_smiley.gif

Hugo PM?

Well, you have to like something first to become disappointed in them. lol 
tongue_smile.gif

Dec 6, 2014 at 7:01 PM Post #8,042 of 22,960
  That being said it makes a lot more sense to first upgrade the IEMs- upgrade the DAP only later if you want to.

The Shure SE535 + Chord Hugo sounds better than the Shure SE846 + iPhone 5S. I wouldn't be surprised that the Shure SE846 + Chord Hugo sounds much better than the JH Roxanne + iPhone 5S. Once you reach a certain level, the other components will play a significant role.

edit: So it depends were you are upgrading from. 

Dec 6, 2014 at 8:20 PM Post #8,043 of 22,960

The Shure SE535 + Chord Hugo sounds better than the Shure SE846 + iPhone 5S. I wouldn't be surprised that the Shure SE846 + Chord Hugo sounds much better than the JH Roxanne + iPhone 5S. Once you reach a certain level, the other components will play a significant role.

edit: So it depends were you are upgrading from. 

Unless the Hugo has some magic in it that inserts a fourth driver and gives it the se846's subwoofer effect then this is just pure BS. 

Dec 6, 2014 at 11:55 PM Post #8,044 of 22,960
Well i just got my 846s and I think they are very good. However, I am not completely floored as I was expecting. 

My source is my iphone6/macbook pro w/ spotify 320 and I am throwing out all genres. 

They do sound very clear but I feel like they lack impact compared to my JVC Fx 850s. Bass feels a bit sparse and the timbre is not as lush. The soundstage does feel similar though. 

I am using the stock foams as the silicone tips drastically reduce the sound stage. I am using the balanced filter. 

Am I missing something?

Dec 7, 2014 at 12:08 AM Post #8,046 of 22,960
  Well i just got my 846s and I think they are very good. However, I am not completely floored as I was expecting. 

My source is my iphone6/macbook pro w/ spotify 320 and I am throwing out all genres. 

They do sound very clear but I feel like they lack impact compared to my JVC Fx 850s. Bass feels a bit sparse and the timbre is not as lush. The soundstage does feel similar though. 

I am using the stock foams as the silicone tips drastically reduce the sound stage. I am using the balanced filter. 

Am I missing something?

If you're using the yellow foams, don't. They're junk, stick to the black foam tips and test the other sizes. Secondly, don't run it from your Macbook. Its high output impedance is a poor fit for the sensitive SE846. If all else fails, order some Westone Star tips. 

Dec 7, 2014 at 12:15 AM Post #8,049 of 22,960

Ya I am using the black ones. I can't use it with my macbook...?

You could, but its high output impedance can distort the sound. I tried running mine from a 35 ohm source and the result was a tinny mess. Preferably, your source should have an output impedance of <1 to get the best out of the 846, but the iPhone 6 drives them just fine. I use it with my pair all the time.

Dec 7, 2014 at 3:33 AM Post #8,050 of 22,960

Unless the Hugo has some magic in it that inserts a fourth driver and gives it the se846's subwoofer effect then this is just pure BS. 

That means the Shure SE846 is better than my HD800 because it also doesn't have that subwoofer effect? I don't think so.

The Shure SE846 is much better than the Shure SE535 on the same device ofcourse. 

Dec 7, 2014 at 3:52 AM Post #8,051 of 22,960

That means the Shure SE846 is better than my HD800 because it also doesn't have that subwoofer effect? I don't think so.

The Shure SE846 is much better than the Shure SE535 on the same device ofcourse. 

Well, the HD800 can produce a subwoofer effect since it has a pair of large dynamic drivers. A subwoofer itself is a dynamic driver. There are dynamic drivers for IEMs too, but because they're so small, the sub-bass you get from them will never compare to the ones you find in full-sized headphones, hence no "subwoofer effect." Shure was only able produce something comparable through their 10 laser-cut steel plates design. 

Dec 7, 2014 at 4:27 AM Post #8,052 of 22,960
I just picked up a used set of Chord Hugo's locally at a great price.

Unfortunately for my wallet I can hear what the hype was all about. Oopz. And this is coming from the HM901, itself no slouch either...

Dec 7, 2014 at 3:43 PM Post #8,054 of 22,960
Have to say, of course IMO and YMMV, that to me these Shures are on a completely different level to the IE800...

Just run the two side by side, and - quite laughable difference, of course tonal balance / presentation / forwardness are subjective, and up to each individual, however - this is so on the money for me that it isn't even funny...

Wish I hadn't wasted (harsh sentiment, but that is what it feels like) a year of my life with the Senns...

Haha, wonder what I'll be saying that about in 12 months time...

Dec 7, 2014 at 4:02 PM Post #8,055 of 22,960
Have to say, of course IMO and YMMV, that to me these Shures are on a completely different level to the IE800...

Just run the two side by side, and - quite laughable difference, of course tonal balance / presentation / forwardness are subjective, and up to each individual, however - this is so on the money for me that it isn't even funny...

Wish I hadn't wasted (harsh sentiment, but that is what it feels like) a year of my life with the Senns...

Haha, wonder what I'll be saying that about in 12 months time...

The same thing happened to me the first time I had pizza that wasn't from Dominoes. Ha!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back