Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Nov 5, 2014 at 5:36 PM Post #7,126 of 22,954
For sure you will follow the path of what recordings sounds best with what listening harmonics. Fortunately for me the th900 and 846 is super compatible with modern recordings in a range of genres from jazz, blues, down tempo, electronic, classicle. Some of my favorite old school artists unfortunately do not fit my preferred sound signiture. If you are bummed by this check out over ear refrence cans, as they are more flexible in this regard.

Nov 5, 2014 at 6:21 PM Post #7,127 of 22,954
  I think I need to issue an apology to the SE846... I've been struggling to overcome what I perceived as a harshness or edge in the upper mids / treble from the SE846s, but I've played around with some different recordings and I think the issue is that I'm allergic to compression (in a recording / mastering sense) and the 8s are so clean and transparent that the compression is very noticeable with them.

For example, Sting's Brand New Day album sounds sublime with the SE846, but Joss Stone's Colour Me Free is harsh and edgy. Hopefully compression is the culprit and I can just weed out highly compressed masters from my portable collection.

I admit I've been puttering with Tidal HiFi lately and... I think the 8's really do serve well at that top end. 

Nov 5, 2014 at 8:11 PM Post #7,128 of 22,954
For sure you will follow the path of what recordings sounds best with what listening harmonics. Fortunately for me the th900 and 846 is super compatible with modern recordings in a range of genres from jazz, blues, down tempo, electronic, classicle. Some of my favorite old school artists unfortunately do not fit my preferred sound signiture. If you are bummed by this check out over ear refrence cans, as they are more flexible in this regard.

Yes. I have T1s and LCD 2s for home use (and On1s for portable use), but nothing is quite as perfect for commuting as a high-isolation IEMs. It's fun though now that I've identified the culprit because I can sift through my collection finding all my ultimate recordings!

Nov 5, 2014 at 11:46 PM Post #7,130 of 22,954

When did you purchase your Silver Litz?  Do you know specifically which MMCX connectors you have?  I am aware that the newer ones (within the last few months at least) use the Tri-Metal MMCX connectors, which are stronger/tighter than the stock SE846 MMCX connectors.

I received them end of May, beginning of June 2014.  So you think Ted may be using better connectors at this point?

Nov 5, 2014 at 11:54 PM Post #7,131 of 22,954
Received them today. First listened to them with the blue filters and I was left rather unimpressed. They sounded warm, and the treble was very average sounding. I though that there must be something about these that makes so many people love them and then I changed into the white filters and my jaw dropped. So clean, so balanced and incredibly detailed. All this and the bass is till so tight, detailed and impactful. 

I recently said that the Roxanne was the best IEM I had heard to date, well I think that it might have changed. I will compare them with a friend's Roxanne tomorrow hopefully. 

Oh, and the fit and isolation is awesome as well. Fits my ears like a glove and isolates very well. These are the most isolation universal IEMs I have used but I haven't tried any Etys. I also never liked the Shure range very much, the 535 especially was very overpriced for the sound IMO. I thought that the SE846 really might have been so as well, but it was not the case at all. 

Overall very impressed. 

Nov 6, 2014 at 12:49 AM Post #7,134 of 22,954
  Received them today. First listened to them with the blue filters and I was left rather unimpressed. They sounded warm, and the treble was very average sounding. I though that there must be something about these that makes so many people love them and then I changed into the white filters and my jaw dropped. So clean, so balanced and incredibly detailed. All this and the bass is till so tight, detailed and impactful. 

I recently said that the Roxanne was the best IEM I had heard to date, well I think that it might have changed. I will compare them with a friend's Roxanne tomorrow hopefully. 

Oh, and the fit and isolation is awesome as well. Fits my ears like a glove and isolates very well. These are the most isolation universal IEMs I have used but I haven't tried any Etys. I also never liked the Shure range very much, the 535 especially was very overpriced for the sound IMO. I thought that the SE846 really might have been so as well, but it was not the case at all. 

Overall very impressed. 

Glad to hear you like them so much!

Nov 6, 2014 at 1:08 AM Post #7,137 of 22,954

I use both.  The way it was explained to me, first the red to clean, then the gold to help with the connection.  It does seem to help.

That's correct (according to the instructions I have here with my pack of DeoxIT)
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 6, 2014 at 1:08 AM Post #7,138 of 22,954

Overall very impressed. 

This was my exact experience except after a few weeks the whites started to sound a little weird, like there was a glare over the upper-mid lower treble range, and everything started to sound dull/unremarkable in general so I went back to the blue filters and discovered a nice tonality I had not noticed before.

I think once they break in a little you should try the blue filters again see if your experience mirrors mine. Yeah I was very happy about the white filters though cuz right outta the box the blue's were a bit dull sounding, almost like a SE535 + some bass and not really "next level".

Now they are next level sounding and is a good choice when I don't want to hear any treble at all and have my face smothered in sweet lush mids.
evil_smiley.gif
(reminds me of the LCD-2 when it was hot HOT HOT on Head-Fi and flavor of the month for a year, but not quite that magical of course)

I am happy to report that bass texture has improved a bit as well. Not as one note sounding as before, although I would never call the bass detailed/textured.

Nov 6, 2014 at 1:26 AM Post #7,139 of 22,954
I will say if you keep experimenting you may very well discover that the whites have an unnatural and rather unpleasant treble spike that may or may not become extra pronounced over time. Blues with large comply guard-free tips and the sound feels as "open" as I can get it with these. 

Nov 6, 2014 at 1:30 AM Post #7,140 of 22,954

That's correct (according to the instructions I have here with my pack of DeoxIT)
smily_headphones1.gif

Just curious, are these the products you're all talking about?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00006LVEU/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER
http://www.amazon.com/DeoxITGOLD-Liquid-squeeze-tube-solution/dp/B003D8EA7A/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1415255394&sr=1-3&keywords=deoxit+gold

Users who are viewing this thread

Back