Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Oct 25, 2014 at 1:02 PM Post #6,843 of 22,945
It could very well be the monitor housing, especially if you do not see anything cosmetically awry with the two monitors.  Hope you have your receipt with you because if you do, you can use it to have Shure replace the right monitor for you.  Let us know how it goes!
After contacting The Headphone Company UK where I bought them returned 8's back to Shure UK and given immediate replacement. Fantastic customer service by Shure and a credit to Paul from The Headphone Company who I recommend to people in the UK.
Back to listening bliss:smiley:

Oct 25, 2014 at 1:35 PM Post #6,844 of 22,945
After contacting The Headphone Company UK where I bought them returned 8's back to Shure UK and given immediate replacement. Fantastic customer service by Shure and a credit to Paul from The Headphone Company who I recommend to people in the UK.
Back to listening bliss:smiley:

That is great news! Happy it turned out one hundred percent in your favor.

Oct 25, 2014 at 9:33 PM Post #6,846 of 22,945
Recently, I have switched back from my two silver cables to the stock one. And I find surprises. A quick comparison below:

Bass: In stock, I don't hear bass as deep and tight as in silver litz but definitely enough vibes. It is still great. The stong part of the 8's.

Mids: much richer and nearer. Vocals in the stock cable often give me goosebump moments, while I was seldom touched by vocals in silver litz in the past few months of listening.

Details and Highs: Details in the stock cable, to me, are not sacrificed. They are still there. The advantage of the stock cable is less fatiquing highs, which allows for louder volume and hence wider dynamics. And lets admit that no matter what cable or source you pair with the 846s, the treble extension is not great. It is, by physical nature, limited.

Soundstage: Silver litz cable is top-notch here, giving directonal depth towards back of the head, while the stock has a narrow but intimate presentation.

Organic sound: This is a strange point that I have to bring up. By replacing the stock with silver litz, I did hear sounds of instruments magnified but not as organic as I hear in the stock. Strings, for instance, sound more real and vibrant with the stock cable.

All in all, my conclusion is that silver litz for the 8s is not a 100% upgrade. With the right setup, the stock's got its potential.

My current setup: SE846 with stock cable, Blue filter with foam removed, stock triple flange cut to double, and a modded DX 90.

Oct 25, 2014 at 11:09 PM Post #6,847 of 22,945
I just got the Westone remote cable cause I needed something ultra light/comfy for commuting.

Brilliant cable. I just had to trim the rubber around the MMCX connectors (1mm). It's is EXTREMELY light. 64" 
My only complaint is that the remote side is 1cm longer, not really a big deal.

The 3.5mm TRRS connector plays fine in my AK100 so no need to swap cables for different sources =)

I also found out that it's VERY easy to increase any cable's MMCX clamping force on to the 8's if anyone is interested:

There's a ring that freely spins on the male connector of the cable end MMCX. It has a 1.2mm gap at one point of the ring for flexibility so if you get a small nail scissors in there you can expand it slightly.. the ring is pretty strong so no worries. Just make sure you blow on the connector after to remove any small particles. This actually works WONDERS as the clamping force of the Westone cable was ok but not as good as stock cable (still no sonic cut-outs but just for my piece of mind =P). After doing that ring adjustment, it's a stronger clamp than stock now. Might be useful for linum cables? people complained about linum cutting out and low clamp force, this will help guaranteed

Here let me take a pic to show anyone interested, very easy to do!

Firmly hold on to the scissors with the tip in the ring gap and expand it a bit, you'll see the ring flexing outwards slightly. 
I'm only using ADL cable to show you.. it has VERY strong clamping force out of the box, no need on these.

Oct 26, 2014 at 12:04 AM Post #6,849 of 22,945
I haven't read all 457 pages and don't know if this has been mentioned but here are some findings I've made [please correct me if I'm wrong]:

Each filter, at it's base, has a porous layer which controls the bass. The black filter having the smallest pores and the white having larger, more punctured looking pores. The black filters have a strong but undefined bass whereas the whites have a well defined but not as boomy bass. 

The blue and black filters have foam at the tips. The blacks have a thicker foam and blue have a very airy foam which can't be removed without separating from itself. The foam controls the upper mids / highs.

The Black Filter Mod (or grey mod) is where you take out the foam from the black filters. You keep the bass of the blacks but the treble between the blues and whites. 

I don't particularly like the bass of the Black Filters. I have done a white filter mod, where I took the foam from the blacks and put it into the white. What you get is a well defined, large bass and tamed treble so it doesn't pierce your ears. 

have fun!

Oct 26, 2014 at 10:00 PM Post #6,850 of 22,945
Nice recap. What brand/model silver litz cables were you using ?

Quote:
Recently, I have switched back from my two silver cables to the stock one. And I find surprises. A quick comparison below:

Bass: In stock, I don't hear bass as deep and tight as in silver litz but definitely enough vibes. It is still great. The stong part of the 8's.

Mids: much richer and nearer. Vocals in the stock cable often give me goosebump moments, while I was seldom touched by vocals in silver litz in the past few months of listening.

Details and Highs: Details in the stock cable, to me, are not sacrificed. They are still there. The advantage of the stock cable is less fatiquing highs, which allows for louder volume and hence wider dynamics. And lets admit that no matter what cable or source you pair with the 846s, the treble extension is not great. It is, by physical nature, limited.

Soundstage: Silver litz cable is top-notch here, giving directonal depth towards back of the head, while the stock has a narrow but intimate presentation.

Organic sound: This is a strange point that I have to bring up. By replacing the stock with silver litz, I did hear sounds of instruments magnified but not as organic as I hear in the stock. Strings, for instance, sound more real and vibrant with the stock cable.

All in all, my conclusion is that silver litz for the 8s is not a 100% upgrade. With the right setup, the stock's got its potential.

My current setup: SE846 with stock cable, Blue filter with foam removed, stock triple flange cut to double, and a modded DX 90.

Oct 26, 2014 at 10:35 PM Post #6,851 of 22,945
I haven't read all 457 pages and don't know if this has been mentioned but here are some findings I've made [please correct me if I'm wrong]:

Each filter, at it's base, has a porous layer which controls the bass. The black filter having the smallest pores and the white having larger, more punctured looking pores. The black filters have a strong but undefined bass whereas the whites have a well defined but not as boomy bass. 

The blue and black filters have foam at the tips. The blacks have a thicker foam and blue have a very airy foam which can't be removed without separating from itself. The foam controls the upper mids / highs.

The Black Filter Mod (or grey mod) is where you take out the foam from the black filters. You keep the bass of the blacks but the treble between the blues and whites. 

I don't particularly like the bass of the Black Filters. I have done a white filter mod, where I took the foam from the blacks and put it into the white. What you get is a well defined, large bass and tamed treble so it doesn't pierce your ears. 

have fun!

Without going into crazy detail, the filters only change the FR +/-2.5 dB 1kHz - 8kHz (bass may sound like it is affected but it is not).  Here's an explanation of how the filters (not modded ones, just black, blue and white) work (check under "Interchangeable Nozzle Insert"): http://cdn.shure.com/user_guide/upload/2028/SE846_User_Guide.pdf

Oct 26, 2014 at 11:57 PM Post #6,852 of 22,945
Hey moedawg I have a question regarding your custom sleeves, when you got a min.

When you clench your teeth do they:
a)hurt you?
b)move/come out of your ear?

I just used the 846 at the gym today and the left side will not stay in no matter what tips I use. I think clenching my jaw changes the angle bend of my left ear canal.
Normal use it's fine but yeah I need to do something about this ASAP. Starting to get OCD about it. The SE846 is my last attempt at IEM's period, before I give up on them completely so I gotta try to make this work the way I want it to - flawlessly.

Thanks!

Just got Frank Sinatra - This is Sinatra! remastered (2014) in 192/24 off HDtracks and FUAAAAA this really makes the 8's sing brahs!
I might snag The Dark Knight soundtrack, they have it in 192/24, pretty cool. 
Normally I'm all about EDM but it's bloody impossible to find it in high rez. I find SE846 really good at highlighting compression artifacts in mp3 and poorly converted .flac, I hate it LOL

I can't wrap my head around why iTunes won't push 192/24 .aiff to my iPhone as it's a supported format... not a biggie since I can sideload it in Neutron app but still I don't get Apple sometimes. It's like they want us all to ride their short bus "ALL ABOARD!"...

Oct 27, 2014 at 12:29 AM Post #6,854 of 22,945
  Hey moedawg I have a question regarding your custom sleeves, when you got a min.

When you clench your teeth do they:
a)hurt you?
b)move/come out of your ear?

I just used the 846 at the gym today and the left side will not stay in no matter what tips I use. I think clenching my jaw changes the angle bend of my left ear canal.
Normal use it's fine but yeah I need to do something about this ASAP. Starting to get OCD about it. The SE846 is my last attempt at IEM's period, before I give up on them completely so I gotta try to make this work the way I want it to - flawlessly.

Thanks!...

Hi Scorpion667,

You can always post a specific Sensaphonics Custom Sleeves question in the SCS review thread, so the question can help out others who may not necessarily read this much larger SE846 thread, if you'd like - for future reference
normal_smile .gif
.  Regarding your inquiries: When I clench my teeth, the SCS does not hurt me at all.  Also, my Sensaphonics Gold Circle Audiologist used a technique with allows a better fit, as the technique (one part of it was not using a bite block) coupled with the firm, yet pliable silicone allows the SCS to not come out of my ear(s) no matter what I do.  It takes a slightly firm pull to take out the SCS because of the slight vacuum the custom sleeves create.  The review (near the end) goes into detail about working out with the SCS in my ears, and there are pictures posted after I ran for 4 miles as well.

Simply put, it seems like the SCS will do you a bit of good great.  

Oct 27, 2014 at 2:10 AM Post #6,855 of 22,945
Demoed a second pair of SE846 at yesterdays Melbourne meet and did a side to side with my um3x.
Same as my initial experience from the first demo pair, bigger soundstage, slightly smoother and refined sounding, less warm, solid built quality though very big. I prefer my um3x for everything else. 
My ending thought. I prefer my um3x regardless of price. 
I'm so happy. um3x forever 
normal_smile .gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back