Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Oct 6, 2014 at 11:51 PM Post #6,586 of 22,945
I found the T51 to have more of a mid bass emphasis, I'd say the dt1350 bass is more like se846, great impact and extension. The HP50 has a similar smoothed off treble but is not as forward sounding and its bass lacks impact and extension.

Interesting - I think I hear it in reverse.  To me the T51p has the more impactful bass compared to the DT1350, which seems more mid-centric to me.

Oct 7, 2014 at 12:10 AM Post #6,587 of 22,945
Next couple of weeks I hope to get chance to listen to the LCD X/XC/3F with the Hugo, and I am hoping the X would give me that substantial improvement over the 846 I seek. Someone asked what I feel as weakness on the 846, that's the thing I hear none with the 846 driven by Hugo, except maybe for the slight hiss. I started with the 846 using ipod video + iqube, then ipod classic + CLAS DB + iqube, then ipod classic + CLAS DB + Hugo, and in each setup the 846 scaled up. Finding it challenging to find an HP that handily and substantially betters the 846 IMHO is an indication of how good this thing is.

Oct 7, 2014 at 12:15 AM Post #6,588 of 22,945

Nah, you didn't talk down on it at all, you were just being real, and that's always welcome! (from most people usually, heh)

No worries, burnoutcat!  I listen to the SE846 from my iPhone 6, and it sounds amazing, in my and other 6 owner's opinions.  The SE846's midrange is exemplary, especially when you pair it with the right color (or modded) filters that sound the best to you.  You'll be in love.  If your sizes-fit-all tips you try do not bode well for comfort, fit, seal, deep insertion, isolation, etc. then another upgrade would be the SCS, and that would in my opinion, put you through the stratosphere, or at least on your way there. 
bigsmile_face.gif

Thanks, I will definitely look through these recommendation. 

Oct 7, 2014 at 12:28 AM Post #6,589 of 22,945

Thanks, I will definitely look through these recommendation. 

Happy to help! 
beerchug.gif
 (still grape juice in my glass [Costco size bottles])

Oct 7, 2014 at 4:23 AM Post #6,590 of 22,945
Hi

Is out there a Universal or a CIEM with more fidelity and soundstage but with 99% if the sub bass of the SE846.
I use a SE846 at the moment unbalanced on a AK240.
Maybe I'm not the only one on the search for perfection...

Thx

Oct 7, 2014 at 5:14 AM Post #6,591 of 22,945
Hi

Is out there a Universal or a CIEM with more fidelity and soundstage but with 99% if the sub bass of the SE846.

Thx

I know this is not a direct answer to your question, but I recently found going balanced out of AK240 with the SE846 improved the soundstage whilst retaining the great sub bass 
wink_face.gif

I can't imagine going back to single ended now.  

Oct 7, 2014 at 5:24 AM Post #6,593 of 22,945
Has anyone heard the JH Roxanne ? How would it compare to the SE 846 ?

Edit : found one impression by moedawg140

http://www.head-fi.org/t/675219/shure-se846-impressions-thread/6255#post_10908134

Any one else heard both ?

Oct 7, 2014 at 5:40 AM Post #6,594 of 22,945
I know this is not a direct answer to your question, but I recently found going balanced out of AK240 with the SE846 improved the soundstage whilst retaining the great sub bass :wink_face:  

I can't imagine going back to single ended now.  

Yeah, that also a possibility but I makes (not yet) sense to spend another 200-300 bucks (price in Switzerland with shipping and taxes) on a cable if I change soon the headphone again. But if there is nothing out there with this amazing bass this will be the next step.

Oct 7, 2014 at 5:55 AM Post #6,596 of 22,945
The Roxanne Universal and the Astell & Kern AKR03 would be very interesting. But difficult to spend between 1700-2500.- for a headphone you never tested. At this (again Swiss price point) you can really start to think about the Custom Roxanne. But has the Roxanne or a K10 the same or similar bass than the SE846. I figure some of you have both.

Oct 7, 2014 at 7:33 AM Post #6,598 of 22,945
Hi

Thx

Nothing that I can think of at the moment.  The UE18 Pro would be a good one to obtain if you had to get another C/IEM, but probably has 75% or so amount of bass the SE846 has.  Instead of purchasing another C/IEM, upgrading to the Hugo would be a much better way to keep using the SE846, keep using the SE cable, and hear an almost tangible difference regarding elevated sound quality, even higher sound quality than the AK240, in my opinion.  The Hugo is just butter baby! 
etysmile.gif

Has anyone heard the JH Roxanne ? How would it compare to the SE 846 ?

Edit : found one impression by moedawg140

http://www.head-fi.org/t/675219/shure-se846-impressions-thread/6255#post_10908134

Any one else heard both ?

That was one of a few impressions I've posted regarding the Roxanne.  Others can chime in about the Roxanne for sure, but if you want to know something specific, ask away, as I have demoed both the AK version and regular versions with balanced and SE cables.  Do I think they are worth the price if you already have the SE846?  Not by a longshot. 
bigsmile_face.gif
  The K10 would be a better complementary IEM to obtain if you were itching for a C/IEM, even though it does not have that strong of bass in my opinion, as it's more of a musical, slightly off-neutral IEM.

The Roxanne Universal and the Astell & Kern AKR03 would be very interesting. But difficult to spend between 1700-2500.- for a headphone you never tested. At this (again Swiss price point) you can really start to think about the Custom Roxanne. But has the Roxanne or a K10 the same or similar bass than the SE846. I figure some of you have both.

The Roxanne's bass is there (turned +10 dB) but it has quantity, not quality like the SE846, and the sound signature was not to my liking.  And, the body (at least the universal version) is massive, the largest IEM other than customs (even bigger than some customs) that I've seen.

The K10 sounded so great to me, but I was so upset - because if it had any bass (strong, quantitative and qualitative bass like the SE846 or Ref. 1), that would be the CIEM to purchase if I was in the market for another C/IEM.

Oct 7, 2014 at 7:45 AM Post #6,599 of 22,945

Nothing that I can think of at the moment.  The UE18 Pro would be a good one to obtain if you had to get another C/IEM, but probably has 75% or so amount of bass the SE846 has.  Instead of purchasing another C/IEM, upgrading to the Hugo would be a much better way to keep using the SE846, keep using the SE cable, and hear an almost tangible difference regarding elevated sound quality, even higher sound quality than the AK240, in my opinion.  The Hugo is just butter baby! 
etysmile.gif

That was one of a few impressions I've posted regarding the Roxanne.  Others can chime in about the Roxanne for sure, but if you want to know something specific, ask away, as I have demoed both the AK version and regular versions with balanced and SE cables.  Do I think they are worth the price if you already have the SE846?  Not by a longshot. 
bigsmile_face.gif
  The K10 would be a better complementary IEM to obtain if you were itching for a C/IEM, even though it does not have that strong of bass in my opinion, as it's more of a musical, slightly off-neutral IEM.

Hmm.. guess the only way to go will be the CIEM version of 846 (using Sensaphonics)

Oct 7, 2014 at 7:50 AM Post #6,600 of 22,945

Hmm.. guess the only way to go will be the CIEM version of 846 (using Sensaphonics)

I'll just say this: using the SCS and then A/Bing it against any IEM that I have tested, no matter the price, from the ~$7-800 IE800 to the $1,599 K10 to the $2,200 Ref.1 + Whiplash TWau (silver) cable, the results were the same - it sounds so good that I feel like I'm playing a baseball game with or working out with steroids, as the game is not being played fair!  The SE846 coupled with the SCS is literally on a league of its own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back