Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Sep 22, 2014 at 6:27 AM Post #6,211 of 22,945
  It's also worth pointing out that tip/filter choice can have some serious effects on sound. If you, for example, use the black filters and silicone tips you're gonna have some bass monsters. Swap to the white with the yellow foams and the sound gets MUCH more "even", the bass tamed a good bit. 

The nice thing about that is you can sit around and putter with various configurations until you find one that clicks for you. The general advice is to buy the Westone Variety Pack with the silicone and foam tips of varying kinds. I ruined a bunch of mine so I'm going to buy another one. 

It does bug me how much work is required to alter the sound, let's say you want to bump the bass for some hip hop and then tamp it down for classical you need all the various tools (in contrast to something like the Aurisonics ASG-2.5), but once you find that sweet spot you're good to go.

I bought the Westone Variety Pack based on this post, and I must say, THANKS, this is the best piece of advice I have got in this thread. The Westone tips are MUCH better than what Shure has supplied. I like both the foam and the silicone. But the westone silicone-tips are the clear winners here. They isolate very good and they are comfortable to wear. They insert easy and they sound great. Finally I´m REALLY satisified with my 8s.

Sep 22, 2014 at 7:58 AM Post #6,212 of 22,945
Hope everyone has a positive and uplifting week!  Take some time to relax, meditate and think about whatever makes you happy, and make sure to tell those in your life that mean the most to you that you love them.  You can enjoy your SE846 in your most surreal and euphoric configuration while relaxing and meditating, or go to the beach, lake, quiet area of a ranch, mountainous cliff, other quiet area and listen to the beautiful sounds of nature while you slowly unwind and become more relaxed - all the while, trekking through the journey of being at peace with yourself.

Much love ladies and gentlemen!
bigsmile_face.gif

Sep 22, 2014 at 8:14 PM Post #6,213 of 22,945
I have to agree that the Westone foamies have made a serious difference.

Combined with the blue filters, bass impact seems to have increased. Am I imagining things? I am of the thinking that I'm not, especially given my all-along apprehension in trying the blues.

I suppose I should have left the whites in a little longer, as I had originally planned, however I reasoned that doing so might be akin to selecting nothing but Founders' beers from a specialty store; ignoring other offerings entirely (not a good trap to find oneself in when writing about craft beer on a limited income).

Sep 22, 2014 at 8:21 PM Post #6,215 of 22,945
I have to agree that the Westone foamies have made a serious difference.

Combined with the blue filters, bass impact seems to have increased. Am I imagining things? I am of the thinking that I'm not, especially given my all-along apprehension in trying the blues.

I suppose I should have left the whites in a little longer, as I had originally planned, however I reasoned that doing so might be akin to selecting nothing but Founders' beers from a specialty store; ignoring other offerings entirely (not a good trap to find oneself in when writing about craft beer on a limited income).

TBH if I had no beer to drink but the Kentucky Breakfast Stout for the rest of my life I would not be unhappy.

Sep 22, 2014 at 10:35 PM Post #6,216 of 22,945
Finally received my 846's today! My order kept getting delayed but it was definitely worth the wait. Only been listening to the white filters for about 5 minutes but I think I already prefer them over the stock, which surprised me. Perhaps I was used to my old SE535LTD sound signature with extended highs? (the white filters are the treble ones i think?). 

On another note, glad to hear the iPhone 6 internal DAC improved. Will give that a try later. Worked during the iPhone launch and man, these were the biggest lineups I've seen in my 3 years with Apple. Been so tired haven't even had a chance to play with my iPhone 6's yet lol

Sep 22, 2014 at 10:43 PM Post #6,218 of 22,945
  Finally received my 846's today! My order kept getting delayed but it was definitely worth the wait. Only been listening to the white filters for about 5 minutes but I think I already prefer them over the stock, which surprised me. Perhaps I was used to my old SE535LTD sound signature with extended highs? (the white filters are the treble ones i think?). 

On another note, glad to hear the iPhone 6 internal DAC improved. Will give that a try later. Worked during the iPhone launch and man, these were the biggest lineups I've seen in my 3 years with Apple. Been so tired haven't even had a chance to play with my iPhone 6's yet lol

Which iPhone 6 did you wind up getting?  I'm adoring the sound that's coming from the iPhone 6.  I know the internal DAC/audio codec has been updated from the 5, but not the 5s.  I still have to do some more in-depth A/Bing between a 5s on iOS 8 and my iPhone 6, because I was only able to A/B a iPhone 5s with iOS7 vs. my iPhone 6 (iOS 8), and the 6 was better, but, of course I want to make the comparisons fair and find a 5s that has iOS8 installed as well.  Oh yeah, the iPod Touch 5th Gen has the same DAC/audio codec as the iPhone 5.

The line where I was (at a Verizon store) was crazy long when I walked around the corner when I knew my spot (4th) was secure in the morning.

Sep 23, 2014 at 12:25 AM Post #6,219 of 22,945
It will take me a lot more than a greater DAC in the iPhone 6 to sway me in upgrading twice in the year.  I was expecting more than an incremental upgrade this time out and wound up disappointed.  I would much rather spend the outlay on a good amp and a digital SLR camera to take both my listening and blogging, respectively, to the next level.

Founders Kentucky Breakfast Stout (KBS): another 100-percenter from the brewery on Ratebeer!  I have yet to see it here in Australia; hopefully it is not a one-off brew as it looks as though it is right up my alley.

Sep 23, 2014 at 12:29 AM Post #6,220 of 22,945
I ended up getting the Gold iPhone 6, 128GB (to fit all my Lossless Audio!). What about you? Wow! you were 4th in line? crazy! The store I worked at, my first customer was in line since Wednesday afternoon, and we finally got to those who lined up since 5am at around 3 or 4pm. But I know the the cellular stores aren't quite as crazy as Apple retail stores lol so hopefully you didnt have to go thru that. Look forward to hearing your results comparing the iPhones!

So i swapped back to the blue filter (balanced) and I'm really starting to like that one now lol. I'm guessing the next few days will be a lot of swapping back and forth. haven't touched the black one yet, and still need to think whether to do the black filter mod everyone's talking so much about. My first thoughts as compared to the 535LTD is the 846 has a wider soundstage, I'm hearing some things that I have heard before in certain songs (mostly in the lows), and extremely good bass (especially for an IEM). However, maybe due to the quantity of bass, the mids seem less forward which I miss about the 535's. But keep in mind I sold them a few weeks ago so my impressions may not be accurate.

Sep 23, 2014 at 12:37 AM Post #6,221 of 22,945
last night I got to compare the sound out of a iphone 4, 5 and 6 with my 846 and a A900X. 
My iphone 4 definitely doesn't sound as smooth and solid as the iphone5. I think the iphone 6 is a step up from both with a bigger sound stage.
Will be getting iphone 6 soon .. i thought the camera and the audio output is worth the price of admission .. especially since I haven't bought a phone since my i4 and it still works so well tad abit slow.

Sep 23, 2014 at 12:52 AM Post #6,222 of 22,945
It's impossible to raise the bass without it making it sound like the mids are recessed. That's just the nature of sound: it's comparative. If you bump the bass up 6db it has the same sonic effect as lowering everything else by the same amount. Obviously the mids are going to sound less recessed on the SE535 because it has incredibly light bass compared to the SE46. 

You can test this out with full-size speakers, if you have them. It works best if you have a subwoofer. If you take a full-sized speaker set and listen to them for a while and then, changing nothing else, add a subwoofer, the mids are going to sound recessed. Keep in mind the reproduction of the mids by the speakers playing those frequencies has not changed one iota. The mid and high reproduction is exactly the same as before. However, now it can sound either less pronounced or downright buried (depending on subwoofer size), because of the increased sound lower down.

Sep 23, 2014 at 1:49 AM Post #6,223 of 22,945
I tried the SE 846 out of a Samsung Galaxy player 3.6 , No comparison with the DX 90 + Meier Quickstep. I haven't tried it with an iphone but based on this experience IMO without a top class DAP / Amp you can only hear 70% (a rough estimate) of what the SE846's are capable of.

I am really tempted to get the HM 901, any feedback on their synergy with 846 ?

Sep 23, 2014 at 1:51 AM Post #6,224 of 22,945
  I ended up getting the Gold iPhone 6, 128GB (to fit all my Lossless Audio!). What about you? Wow! you were 4th in line? crazy! The store I worked at, my first customer was in line since Wednesday afternoon, and we finally got to those who lined up since 5am at around 3 or 4pm. But I know the the cellular stores aren't quite as crazy as Apple retail stores lol so hopefully you didnt have to go thru that. Look forward to hearing your results comparing the iPhones!

So i swapped back to the blue filter (balanced) and I'm really starting to like that one now lol. I'm guessing the next few days will be a lot of swapping back and forth. haven't touched the black one yet, and still need to think whether to do the black filter mod everyone's talking so much about. My first thoughts as compared to the 535LTD is the 846 has a wider soundstage, I'm hearing some things that I have heard before in certain songs (mostly in the lows), and extremely good bass (especially for an IEM). However, maybe due to the quantity of bass, the mids seem less forward which I miss about the 535's. But keep in mind I sold them a few weeks ago so my impressions may not be accurate.

I wound up getting the Space Gray iPhone 6, 128GB just so I don't have to ever delete any apps that I really like to create more space for installs, again!  My fiancé upgraded from a 4S to a Gold iPhone 6, 64GB. Yes...I was technically 3rd, but another person came in with a person who was waiting during the night, just like my fiancé did the morning of with me.  The waiting wasn't that bad either, as being a wrestler, waiting to weigh in when you are 20+ pounds below your normal weight is much more worse of a feeling than sitting in line for a night.  Things weren't as crazy over here I would guess (haven't been around Apple stores for a launch), but AT&T next door had zero Pluses, and Verizon only had 3 (none in the 128GB configuration).  Once people found out they couldn't get the Pluses, they just cursed and left the store.  I initially wanted the Plus, but after finding out they only had 3 Pluses at the corporate location I waited (all were sold), I was pretty distraught.  However, I saw a Gold 6 Plus available to pick up and play around with, so once I got a chance to actually attempt to type with one hand, I wasn't able to hit the keys on the other side of the screen of my thumb without putting my assured grip in jeopardy.  In addition, I planed to put a case on any phone as well, so I knew the Plus' size would be even more humongous.  It didn't take me long to be happy with being able to get the iPhone 6 instead of the Plus.  Out of 4 different benchmarks, the 6 and Plus split wins.  Good enough for me!  And currently, the 6's YouTube clips look much better/clearer than the Plus' when I did side by side tests of the 6 and Plus.

The blue and white filter are usually the two filters people gravitate to the most, with black being the filter that some people like as well.  The only reason why I modded my black filters was because I knew I disliked the black ones the most and wouldn't miss the sound signature from the filters.  Once I modded the black filters though, I felt the sound was smooth and enveloping, while still keeping the treble/frequency response of the white filters.  I feel no need to change filters, which is also a plus - I don't like taking off my SCS, as I feel they are truly a part of the SE846 and need to stay on as I feel this is how the SE846 should be.

last night I got to compare the sound out of a iphone 4, 5 and 6 with my 846 and a A900X. 
My iphone 4 definitely doesn't sound as smooth and solid as the iphone5. I think the iphone 6 is a step up from both with a bigger sound stage.
Will be getting iphone 6 soon .. i thought the camera and the audio output is worth the price of admission .. especially since I haven't bought a phone since my i4 and it still works so well tad abit slow.

Yeah, coming from a 5, I feel the 6 is a good upgrade, especially regarding the camera and audio departments.  If a person is coming from a 5s, then I feel the upgrade is only worthwhile if they truly want a larger screen.

Sep 23, 2014 at 1:55 AM Post #6,225 of 22,945
  I tried the SE 846 out of a Samsung Galaxy player 3.6 , No comparison with the DX 90 + Meier Quickstep. I haven't tried it with an iphone but based on this experience IMO without a top class DAP / Amp you can only hear 70% (a rough estimate) of what the SE846's are capable of.

I am really tempted to get the HM 901, any feedback on their synergy with 846 ?

If you really want to experience hi-fidelity from a portable package, try to demo the Hugo.  It is one of, if not the best portable DAC/amps out there, in my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back