Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Sep 10, 2014 at 10:00 PM Post #6,036 of 22,945
The output graph is the bottom one?

The top one.  The bottom one is the impedance characteristic of the 846. People brag about iphone 5 being flat and etc.. but, reality is they measure it without anything to output or they simply use a resistor.  This is not surprise with a resistor since it's predicted to be flat.  Resistors do not curve like a BA impedance.

For example, people brag about how well iphone 5 is measured based on Ken Rockwell's blog.  There is no surprise, it will measure approximately flat because he only uses a resistor or high impedance headphone as load which will not skew the output FR that much like something comparable to iphone 5's output impedance.

Sep 10, 2014 at 10:43 PM Post #6,037 of 22,945
The top one.  The bottom one is the impedance characteristic of the 846. People brag about iphone 5 being flat and etc.. but, reality is they measure it without anything to output or they simply use a resistor.  This is not surprise with a resistor since it's predicted to be flat.  Resistors do not curve like a BA impedance.

For example, people brag about how well iphone 5 is measured based on Ken Rockwell's blog.  There is no surprise, it will measure approximately flat because he only uses a resistor or high impedance headphone as load which will not skew the output FR that much like something comparable to iphone 5's output impedance.

One of the reasons they brag is unlike the high end DAPs the iPhone has actually been measured. I have never seen a though measurement of any of the AK, iBasso or Tera products. It is the same with the CIEM which for the most part are never measured (yes, I know they are custom but most have universal demos that could be measured).

Sep 10, 2014 at 11:02 PM Post #6,038 of 22,945
Not saying that BA sound bad or worse as result of what I pointed out.  My point is that often FR measurement that is shown by many really doesn't tell you much about interaction with BA iems.  Even with impedance skew, I personally prefer the sound of the BA. So for BA, close to 0 output impedance is desired to have the impedance skew to have minimal affect on the FR. 

There are measurement of DX90, but haven't seen the DX100 or the R10.  I hope to see AK measurements.  As for the Tera player, Amos said it has high output impedance so probably not a good match with the SE846 as Kiats and Mamouille use high impedance iems with it, and also it may have more warm sound because of it's high output impedance which they may prefer.  

Sep 10, 2014 at 11:13 PM Post #6,039 of 22,945
  Not saying that BA sound bad or worse as result of what I pointed out.  My point is that often FR measurement that is shown by many really doesn't tell you much about interaction with BA iems.  Even with impedance skew, I personally prefer the sound of the BA. So for BA, close to 0 output impedance is desired to have the impedance skew to have minimal affect on the FR. 

There are measurement of DX90, but haven't seen the DX100 or the R10.  I hope to see AK measurements.  As for the Tera player, Amos said it has high output impedance so probably not a good match with the SE846 as Kiats and Mamouille use high impedance iems with it, and also it may have more warm sound because of it's high output impedance which they may prefer.  

Yes. Absolutely right.

There was a lot of discussion of this exact point with the original (22 ohm output impedance) AK100 and it was a big reason for the Mk II versions and Red Wine Audio involvement.

If the player's output impedance is any more than about 1 ohm when using with a multi-BA earphone you can guarantee changes to the frequency response (for better or worse). As SilverEars said, this isn't a knock on the earphones or the devices as such, just a reality of the interactions between both. That said, all portable devices (and you could even argue desktop amps, etc.) should really have the lowest possible output impedance .

Sep 10, 2014 at 11:55 PM Post #6,040 of 22,945
Hey guys just got these 846 and I love them even though I have been stalled because of an ear infection:mad:

I'm choosing between the sony nwz e383 and the sandisk clip sport as a casual player does anyone recommend one of these?

Sep 11, 2014 at 1:20 AM Post #6,041 of 22,945
Hey guys just got these 846 and I love them even though I have been stalled because of an ear infection:mad:

I'm choosing between the sony nwz e383 and the sandisk clip sport as a casual player does anyone recommend one of these?

What's the difference between the clip zip and the sports clip? The sports one seems to have bad reviews.

I have the clip zip and it works well with the se846 and the clip works really well. If you want to go for a run you can just clip it to something instead of putting it in your pocket so it won't fly around and annoy you.

Oh, and rockbox if you like it :xf_eek:

Sep 11, 2014 at 9:14 AM Post #6,042 of 22,945
I just got the 846 and I´v only listened to them for an hour. My first impression is that I´m a bit dissapointed. Compared to my ie800 they sound harsh and hollow. The bright end sound a bit shrill. The midrange sound a bit like a "cardboard box", specially strings in symhonies. I´v tried the black filters, but they didn´t change the sound signature much. I´v got a proper seal with the medium olive tips, and I´v tried a couple of other tips, so I don´t think it´s due to bad seal. The bass is ok, but not any better than from my ie800. (It´s actually a bit dull, and not so hard hitting).

I´m running the 8s from AK120 +  Chord Hugo, so it can´t blame my system. 

Hopfully these will improve from burning in. I´m going to let them play music for the next 20 hours to see if they improve.

I guess it´s like when you drink a good wine, and you order another bottle from a different brand. The first sip tastes like ****, but it only gets better and better. Hopefully that´s the story with switching from ie800 to SE846. :wink:

Sep 11, 2014 at 9:18 AM Post #6,043 of 22,945
It sounds like a tip problem to me. The bass should be slamming you in the head. It's one of the bassiest phones I've heard. I'd suggest trying to get a better deal. When I first tried them I thought the same and changed tips... night and day. Has happened to me on more than one occassion, and I too believed I had a good seal. These phones are extremely nice, I can't imagine anyone saying there isn't a lot of bass. Just my .02

Sep 11, 2014 at 9:38 AM Post #6,044 of 22,945
Yes, I think you are right. I was a bit quick on my conlusions. (That´s why forums like this is nice.) I tried the yellow foam tips. And the bass came to life in a much mor hard-hitting way.
They are still a bit sibliant in the highs, but I´m hoping burn in will mend that. 

I´m definately going to get some custom silicon sleaves for my 8s. The improvement of going from olives to the foam was huge, and it may be better still with ear molded tips.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back