Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Sep 9, 2014 at 2:40 PM Post #6,003 of 22,954
Whoa, that's a surprise. Was just there and the founder did my impressions. Very cool guy and had a great conversation. But he explicitly mentioned that they'd keep redoing their shells until they get it right. And that they don't do refunds.

But I haven't been following your Saga closely.

Sep 9, 2014 at 4:45 PM Post #6,004 of 22,954
My audiologist called me earlier and said Sensaphonics wouldn't redo the molds but that they'd reimburse  me themselves. Works for me.

Sep 9, 2014 at 9:06 PM Post #6,005 of 22,954
Hello members and lurkers of Head-Fi,

I know that there has been a lot of discussion on this thread (and Head-Fi as a whole) regarding Balanced vs. SE.  I was loaned my friend's RSA - The Intruder fully balanced USB DAC/amp with the HL Silver Balanced cable for two weeks, and I wrote a review regarding the device.  I used it exclusively with the Shure SE846.  This review may shed some light, or may complicate that light - who knows.  

Here it is: http://www.head-fi.org/products/ray-samuels-the-intruder/reviews/11558

Basically, my view towards Balanced vs. SE remains the same: for certain applications, balanced will sound better.  For certain applications, SE will sound better.  It ultimately comes to your sound signature preferences and trying out as many inputs, outputs, sources, DAPs and amps to find out what sounds best - to you.

Happy listening, everyone! 
ksc75smile.gif

Sep 9, 2014 at 9:14 PM Post #6,006 of 22,954

I know that there has been a lot of discussion on this thread (and Head-Fi as a whole) regarding Balanced vs. SE.  I was loaned my friend's RSA - The Intruder fully balanced USB DAC/amp with the HL Silver Balanced cable for two weeks, and I wrote a review regarding the device.  I used it exclusively with the Shure SE846.  This review may shed some light, or may complicate that light - who knows.  

Here it is: http://www.head-fi.org/products/ray-samuels-the-intruder/reviews/11558

Basically, my view towards Balanced vs. SE remains the same: for certain applications, balanced will sound better.  For certain applications, SE will sound better.  It ultimately comes to your sound signature preferences and trying out as many inputs, outputs, sources, DAPs and amps to find out what sounds best - to you.

Happy listening, everyone! :ksc75smile:  

Moe,

An excellent review. I have one question, didn't your friend tell you that you cannot use an amplifier with an smartphone? The RFI (radio frequency interference also WiFi interference) is what I believe you were hearing that caused the popping and hissing. When I use my iPod Touch I have to make sure it is in airplane mode or my RSA Lightning amp picks up the RFI from the WiFi.

Sep 9, 2014 at 9:16 PM Post #6,007 of 22,954

Happy listening, everyone! 
ksc75smile.gif

That's weird that you're hearing hissing and popping form an RSA amp. They are notorious for having a completely dead and silent background. Alas I have never owned a Intruder but the lowest gain should be dead silent with the 846. 

Sep 9, 2014 at 9:22 PM Post #6,008 of 22,954
Moe,

An excellent review. I have one question, didn't your friend tell you that you cannot use an amplifier with an smartphone? The RFI (radio frequency interference also WiFi interference) is what I believe you were hearing that caused the popping and hissing. When I use my iPod Touch I have to make sure it is in airplane mode or my RSA Lightning amp picks up the RFI from the WiFi.

Thanks, spook.

He said that there would be issues with it, but did not explicitly say to put it in airplane mode.  Well, the thing that's great is that I still have The Intruder, so if that works, I will edit the review to reflect what is needed to eradicate the issue.  The amp does hiss and pop slightly even when it is connected the PC, only when the volume is low or off.  Thank you in advance for the tips.

Sep 9, 2014 at 9:24 PM Post #6,009 of 22,954
Thanks, spook.

He said that there would be issues with it, but did not explicitly say to put it in airplane mode.  Well, the thing that's great is that I still have The Intruder, so if that works, I will edit the review to reflect what is needed to eradicate the issue.  The amp does hiss and pop slightly even when it is connected the PC, only when the volume is low or off.  Thank you in advance for the tips.

Absolutely my friend. Also, even when listening with your PC keep any smartphone at least a few feet away from the amplifier as it does not need to be touching to pick up the RFI.

Sep 9, 2014 at 9:27 PM Post #6,010 of 22,954
I use the intruder with my 8s and I love the sound. wifi definitely gets picked up as well as some cell interference.

keeping my note 3 away from the unit and the wire fixes that problem immediately.

I read also about a fix for the volume pot, just turn it back and forth a bunch of times and it should help.

Sep 9, 2014 at 9:34 PM Post #6,011 of 22,954

Thanks, spook.

Get a cleaner source, the Intruder could be amplifying the background electrical noise from the PC. 

Sep 9, 2014 at 9:48 PM Post #6,012 of 22,954
Thanks for the tips guys.  I edited the review regarding the hisses and pops.  As for getting a cleaner source, thanks for your input, but no way am I going to get another source.  If something doesn't work well with my equipment (something as simple as a PC), then that's that.  Keeping the DAC/amp away from literally everything will work the best for me to reduce the hisses and pops.  That seems like it's more inconvenient than it's worth, in my opinion.  The sound of it (when the settings of your smartphone/DAP are set correctly and away from electrical equipment) is great though.

Sep 9, 2014 at 9:52 PM Post #6,013 of 22,954
  Thanks for the tips guys.  I edited the review regarding the hisses and pops.  As for getting a cleaner source, thanks for your input, but no way am I going to get another source.  If something doesn't work well with my equipment (something as simple as a PC), then that's that.  Keeping the DAC/amp away from literally everything will work the best for me to reduce the hisses and pops.  That seems like it's more inconvenient than it's worth, in my opinion.  The sound of it (when the settings of your smartphone/DAP are set correctly and away from electrical equipment) is great though.

Yea it is definitely a hassle, everyone has their own needs. 

I wish these newer RSA amps were shielded better though, my Protector hisses and pops like crazy when I receive/send texts and wifi. 

Sep 9, 2014 at 9:57 PM Post #6,014 of 22,954

Yea it is definitely a hassle, everyone has their own needs. 

I wish these newer RSA amps were shielded better though, my Protector hisses and pops like crazy when I receive/send texts and wifi. 

I wish I heard/read about this earlier regarding the RSA amps.  The amps that I have tried had no interference at all, like Geek Out, Dragonfly, of course the Hugo, etc.  Oy vey.

Sep 9, 2014 at 11:02 PM Post #6,015 of 22,954
So after talking to a few people, I picked up a SR-71B. I wanted an amp a with a little bit versatility. Recently I had an accident, spilled coffee over my MBP. They told me it was a tier 4 repair and it was going cost 1350 to have it fixed. I'm a little bummed about the accident, but little more bummed out I have to push back buying Ted's balance cables. At least with the Sr-71B I can still use it, till I can recover from the apple's bill. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back