Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Aug 26, 2014 at 9:16 AM Post #5,671 of 22,945
I have to say I'm truly enjoying these. I changed my tips to Westone Star tips, incredible isolation. Definitely worth their money. They sound better than my Heir 8.0... I'm going to go out on a ledge from memory here, but I believe my Ref1 sound a bit more open, better separation, and then treble sounds to be more present and smoother. That being said, for they price difference Shure offer a better value. I'm going from memory though, from a few select songs I know very well. Bass is extremely close, I might dare to say on some tracks there Shure get a tad lower and sounded a bit better. At least on 1 or 2 rap songs. Very impressed, excellent purchase.

At gym using my X3. Adjusting the bass, it never distorts. I have my volume on 40, bass was set on 3 but I was able to put it as high as 10 and no distortion. Absolutely amazing. I don't think I was able to go over 4 with my other phones on a high volume. X3 and this... amazing synergy.

Aug 26, 2014 at 10:01 AM Post #5,672 of 22,945
  You're right .. after listening to the 846 vs H3, the H3 definitely has more thump to it's bass and it does go deep but it's much looser then the bass of the 846. 
I'm not saying the H3s are not good.. they're really really good .. but when I A-B them it's like the H3 has a layer of marshmellows on it. On the bass anyway.

Yeah, I think we agree 100%. Funnily enough, the H3's sound a bit more like some speakers with a sub. Lots of boom and rumble but not as much definition and clarity a 846's but still excellent and great to listen to.

Aug 26, 2014 at 11:18 AM Post #5,673 of 22,945
Hi all, my name is Paulo Mario and I'm from Brazil. I'm looking for a company that can make customized sleeves for my 846 here in my country and the only one that I found so far told me that I need to send them both the earphones and the pre-molds. Once the sleeves are ready, they'll send me back the earphones with the sleeves GLUED on them. They told me this is necessary because the sleeves become loose if they're not glued to the 846. They also said that the glue they use is silicone-based, and imported from USA.

So my question is: do the Sensaphonics sleeves also need to be glued to the 846? I'm very reluctant to have anything glued to my thousand-dollar earphones.

Thank you!

Aug 26, 2014 at 12:13 PM Post #5,674 of 22,945
Oi Paulo Mario,

Sensaphonics is great and no, the custom silicone sleeves they make are not glued on. Furthermore, they know exactly what the Shure 846 is like, you don't have to send yours to them. They have a lot of experience.

I would say, however, that you really need to get the very best set of earmolds you can from an audiologist who has experience making earmolds for musicians. In America, Sensaphonics even has audiologists have special training. So, do the best you can and it will pay off for you.

Ciao!

Aug 26, 2014 at 1:04 PM Post #5,675 of 22,945
Well the isolation is very important to me, I only use these when I'm at work or mobile.
The medium dark foam tips are my favourite, having tried all the stock ones and some 3rd party comply ones as well, the original medium dark foam tips gives me the best seal.
(Yes, I know the silicone triple-flanges are supposed to give the best seal, but I can't get them to sit properly or something)
The SE846 and SE535 are very similar in build, the SE846 sticks a little further out because of their round shell shape where the SE535 is flatter.

Yeah the 846 is like a big fat brother of 535 & 535 is like having a thinner stomach~  

Aug 26, 2014 at 1:10 PM Post #5,676 of 22,945
  Hi all, my name is Paulo Mario and I'm from Brazil. I'm looking for a company that can make customized sleeves for my 846 here in my country and the only one that I found so far told me that I need to send them both the earphones and the pre-molds. Once the sleeves are ready, they'll send me back the earphones with the sleeves GLUED on them. They told me this is necessary because the sleeves become loose if they're not glued to the 846. They also said that the glue they use is silicone-based, and imported from USA.

So my question is: do the Sensaphonics sleeves also need to be glued to the 846? I'm very reluctant to have anything glued to my thousand-dollar earphones.

Thank you!

I would never let anyone glue them on. Period. Definitely contact Sensaphonics to see if they can make them and ship them to you in Brazil. As Kunlun says getting good impressions will be the key. Even though I haven't bought them yet, I have contacted Sensaphonics with a couple of questions and they are excellent to deal with. My guess is that if they're  talking about gluing them, they're probably making just some custom tips that fit on the nozzle only or they They could seriously screw up your 846's with glue as in making it impossible to change the filters, etc.

Aug 26, 2014 at 1:24 PM Post #5,677 of 22,945

Thank you!

Kunlun and hockey_magnet are correct regarding Sensaphonics, but instead of saying my opinions regarding your situation Paulo (I think I'm correct but don't want to be wrong), I contacted the lady who would know 100% herself: Claudia from Sensaphonics to answer your inquires. I'll let you know what she says.

Aug 26, 2014 at 1:38 PM Post #5,678 of 22,945
I have to say I'm truly enjoying these. I changed my tips to Westone Star tips, incredible isolation. Definitely worth their money. They sound better than my Heir 8.0... I'm going to go out on a ledge from memory here, but I believe my Ref1 sound a bit more open, better separation, and then treble sounds to be more present and smoother. That being said, for they price difference Shure offer a better value. I'm going from memory though, from a few select songs I know very well. Bass is extremely close, I might dare to say on some tracks there Shure get a tad lower and sounded a bit better. At least on 1 or 2 rap songs. Very impressed, excellent purchase.

At gym using my X3. Adjusting the bass, it never distorts. I have my volume on 40, bass was set on 3 but I was able to put it as high as 10 and no distortion. Absolutely amazing. I don't think I was able to go over 4 with my other phones on a high volume. X3 and this... amazing synergy.

High praise indeed Warrior. Thank you for the comparison.

Aug 26, 2014 at 1:43 PM Post #5,680 of 22,945
Well, not only Shure has one of the best customer support services out there - yes, my brand new 8's arrived with a defect on the left earphone - but also an enthusiastic user group. Thank you very much!

Quote:
Oi Paulo Mario,

Sensaphonics is great and no, the custom silicone sleeves they make are not glued on. Furthermore, they know exactly what the Shure 846 is like, you don't have to send yours to them. They have a lot of experience.

I would say, however, that you really need to get the very best set of earmolds you can from an audiologist who has experience making earmolds for musicians. In America, Sensaphonics even has audiologists have special training. So, do the best you can and it will pay off for you.

Ciao!

I would never let anyone glue them on. Period. Definitely contact Sensaphonics to see if they can make them and ship them to you in Brazil. As Kunlun says getting good impressions will be the key. Even though I haven't bought them yet, I have contacted Sensaphonics with a couple of questions and they are excellent to deal with. My guess is that if they're  talking about gluing them, they're probably making just some custom tips that fit on the nozzle only or they They could seriously screw up your 846's with glue as in making it impossible to change the filters, etc.

@Kunlun and @hockey_magnet are correct regarding Sensaphonics, but instead of saying my opinions regarding your situation Paulo (I think I'm correct but don't want to be wrong), I contacted the lady who would know 100% herself: Claudia from Sensaphonics to answer your inquires. I'll let you know what she says.

Aug 26, 2014 at 1:47 PM Post #5,681 of 22,945
@spook76-My pleasure, more to come when my Ref1 returns.

Can't wait! And thank you for the preliminary comparisons as well. I, too love the fact that I can turn the EQ of the 60Hz section (in Spotify) up fully with no distortion. Problem is my car's ported Alpine Type X doesn't like the additional EQ and sounds way too over the top, haha.

Aug 26, 2014 at 3:48 PM Post #5,682 of 22,945
I am paraphrasing what Claudia sent to paulomario77 to condense things regarding the inquiries he had:

"Contact Karina Otubo, AuD (Claudia provided the contact number). Sensaphonics does not glue the sleeves to the earphones nor recommends it. We don't even ask for the IEMs to be sent in. Gluing sleeves is not a good plan because permabond or silicone eat away at silicone."

I assure you, Sensaphonics will never glue your sleeves to the earphones, even if they did need the earphones to create the sleeves, which they do not.

Please check out my review below to learn more about the Sensaphonics Custom Sleeves. I think it is also great that you will be working closely with Ms. Otubo, as she has personally visited Sensaphonics headquarters to learn from Dr. Santucci, so rest assured, you will be in safe hands, Paulo.

Please let us know how your experience goes with your custom sleeves, either on this thread or on my Sensaphonics Custom Sleeves thread.

Good luck to you.

Aug 26, 2014 at 4:32 PM Post #5,683 of 22,945

Thank you!

Paulo, welcome over to the cult forum and I am glad you got your 8s fixed.

Aug 26, 2014 at 4:58 PM Post #5,684 of 22,945
I was a little unsure about going balanced, but Spook convinced me. 
beerchug.gif

Just bought a SR-71b off head-fi, hopefully it will be here in a couple days. It will be awhile till I can afford to get balance cables, my dog spilled cover all over my MBP ($1350 bill). 

Aug 26, 2014 at 6:42 PM Post #5,685 of 22,945
Actually, I contacted Karina a few days ago and she recommended me a company in Brazil (Telex) specialized in hearing aids, which she said would do the sleeves. I contacted Telex but they only responded today. Before Telex responded, Karina already provided me a quote this morning: R$ 1,000 for sleeves from Sensaphonics. Which amounts to US$ 425, approximately.

Karina lives in Sao Paulo. So, unless she can suggest an audiologist in Rio, I would have to travel to Sao Paulo to get my impressions done. I think going to Sao Paulo will be worth the cost, but I'm waiting for her to answer a few more questions by email.

Quote:
I am paraphrasing what Claudia sent to @paulomario77 to condense things regarding the inquiries he had:

"Contact Karina Otubo, AuD (Claudia provided the contact number). Sensaphonics does not glue the sleeves to the earphones nor recommends it. We don't even ask for the IEMs to be sent in. Gluing sleeves is not a good plan because permabond or silicone eat away at silicone."

I assure you, Sensaphonics will never glue your sleeves to the earphones, even if they did need the earphones to create the sleeves, which they do not.

Please check out my review below to learn more about the Sensaphonics Custom Sleeves. I think it is also great that you will be working closely with Ms. Otubo, as she has personally visited Sensaphonics headquarters to learn from Dr. Santucci, so rest assured, you will be in safe hands, Paulo.

Please let us know how your experience goes with your custom sleeves, either on this thread or on my Sensaphonics Custom Sleeves thread.

Good luck to you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back