Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Aug 7, 2014 at 10:52 PM Post #4,996 of 22,960

However, that means carrying two devices rather than one, and not being able to use streaming services. It costs less than most phones, but you aren't getting it INSTEAD of a phone. So you have a phone AND that. 

In my case I do have a choice of what I want to carry. Also I walk and travel with a lot more than a phone and a player. I travel over two hours a day taking six trains and two buses and walking over 45 minutes everyday and coaching and playing Basketball in Hong Kong (By the time I get home I have three socked shirts ). I carry a Back pack with many shirts, towels, cones, and Basketballs so carrying a device smaller than my phone is not an issue. The X3 has more power than any Smartphone, Smaller, lighter, last longer and sounds better.

Aug 7, 2014 at 11:35 PM Post #4,997 of 22,960
  In my case I do have a choice of what I want to carry. Also I walk and travel with a lot more than a phone and a player. I travel over two hours a day taking six trains and two buses and walking over 45 minutes everyday and coaching and playing Basketball in Hong Kong (By the time I get home I have three socked shirts ). I carry a Back pack with many shirts, towels, cones, and Basketballs so carrying a device smaller than my phone is not an issue. The X3 has more power than any Smartphone, Smaller, lighter, last longer and sounds better.

I'm like you, hertz. When I'm commuting I'd much rather have my phone and my X5/E12DIY stack, but I understand others who just want a phone

Aug 8, 2014 at 12:14 AM Post #5,000 of 22,960

LOL I think it's more "is the increased in quality worth the expense and the inconvenience of a designated device". For many that's a big fat yes. For others, nah. Depends on the phone, too. 

You do have a valid point there.

Aug 8, 2014 at 12:28 AM Post #5,002 of 22,960
  So if I add an amp to go along my Dap that means the EQ on my Dap will not be functioning?

If it's connected via the headphone jack then it'll still work. Not so sure if it's connected via line-out. 

Aug 8, 2014 at 3:29 AM Post #5,005 of 22,960
If you're a true music lover, the SQ coming from a smartphone just wouldn't cut it. The difference to me is night and day. I didn't even bother to reinstall poweramp on my brand spanking new G3 ever since I got the ZX1. Listening music with my uniRox on a smartphone is like a slap on the face of Mr. Jerry Harvey. It's just not right even though they made a mic for the phone's.

Aug 8, 2014 at 5:36 AM Post #5,006 of 22,960
If you're a true music lover, the SQ coming from a smartphone just wouldn't cut it. The difference to me is night and day. I didn't even bother to reinstall poweramp on my brand spanking new G3 ever since I got the ZX1. Listening music with my uniRox on a smartphone is like a slap on the face of Mr. Jerry Harvey. It's just not right even though they made a mic for the phone's.

It's not necessary to resort to non-sequiturs about “music lovers” or hyperbole like “night and day”. Also, this is the 846 pairing and not the Roxanne. But, I do agree that the ZX1 sounds a little better than a phone plus Poweramp alone. I was talking about Viper4Android.

It's possible that a firmware upgrade could improve imaging and soundstage for the DX90/846 pairing. It's also possible that software could improve the Touch 5g as well.

I have not experienced the “goodness” of dual DACs. I've had two players (DX90 and HM-802) that had dual DACs, but I haven't heard the difference (paired with the 846).

I think software improvements are more significant than the tiny hardware differences.

Aug 8, 2014 at 9:14 AM Post #5,007 of 22,960

I do so enjoy the dripping arrogance some have here. Makes me soooooooo proud to be a headphone enthusiast. 
rolleyes.gif

Since you're talking about headphones that aren't the SE846, do us a favor and get back into the thread for whichever JH you're talking about. This kind of attitude isn't welcome here. 

Aug 8, 2014 at 9:29 AM Post #5,008 of 22,960
Sorry guys, I didn't mean to change subject or said anything bad about the 846. So need not to be this sensitive or take it the wrong way. I'm just trying to make a point that a dedicated DAP definitely produce much better sound than a smartphone. I actually did have the chance to spend time with the 846 for 2 weeks and it's a great phone that I have nothing to complain about. I chose the Roxanne because it has a bigger soundstage and pairs better with my ZX1. Never meant to be arrogant or being a dick here.

Aug 8, 2014 at 9:32 AM Post #5,009 of 22,960
Honestly when I get my DX90 is hard for me to differentiate the SQ between the DX90 & my iPod touch 5 with 846! But after burning the DX90 for some times Ahhh yes there is differences in soundstage & details between them but totally not the night & day differences

Aug 8, 2014 at 9:33 AM Post #5,010 of 22,960
I generally find most areas outside of IEMs to be incremental goodness...which is great.

The only two areas I can think of that make what I would consider big differences are:
1. The music file. Was it a good recording to begin with? Is it heavily compressed? And so on.
2. Balanced amp

That being said, I am always eager to find another couple of points of improvement wherever I can find it.

I would love that illusive tweak to turn my 846 into 1,000,000,846 :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back