Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Jul 31, 2014 at 6:15 PM Post #4,816 of 22,945

There's one video of how to insert them on youtube if that's any help, just to confirm you are doing it the right way,  Do a search for "sensaphonics custom sleeves" and it should come up.  Hope you get it sorted soon.

It's on their webpage actually. I have the method down fine, it's not that they're in "wrong", they just don't sit deeply or securely. 

Jul 31, 2014 at 6:18 PM Post #4,817 of 22,945
  I saw the "AK100 II" today in a headphone shop in Toronto today ("The Headphone Shop" actually) near where I was picking up lunch close to my house. I digress. I didn't have the 8s with me so there was no point auditioning it. The price point is around that of the Sony ZX1 (not available  - yet in North America).

It does have some nice features (Balanced and normal jacks - A reason to upgrade my cable) 64GB built in with SD slot. bigger screen than my iPod (I just listen to music) and lots of other features.

It is not as ascetically pleasing as the ZX1 but.... it ain't ugly either and it is quite compact.

I thing he said it was 2ohms impedance....  At that point we are beyond my brains pay grade.

Any thoughts on how this would pair up with the 8s say vs an Fiio X5.

Thoughts are most appreciated. Graph while pretty mean nothing to me (Stock charts yes..Sciencey Charts not so much).

o0570038012942810643.jpg

Headphone Shop is where I bought my 846's - It's so small, I drove (and then walked) right past it.
blink.gif
Really just a counter in a shared storefront but he does have a lot of the TOTL stuff there - and pretty decent prices for bricks and mortar store

Jul 31, 2014 at 6:33 PM Post #4,818 of 22,945
  I saw the "AK100 II" today in a headphone shop in Toronto today ("The Headphone Shop" actually) near where I was picking up lunch close to my house. I digress. I didn't have the 8s with me so there was no point auditioning it. The price point is around that of the Sony ZX1 (not available  - yet in North America).

It does have some nice features (Balanced and normal jacks - A reason to upgrade my cable) 64GB built in with SD slot. bigger screen than my iPod (I just listen to music) and lots of other features.

It is not as ascetically pleasing as the ZX1 but.... it ain't ugly either and it is quite compact.

I thing he said it was 2ohms impedance....  At that point we are beyond my brains pay grade.

Any thoughts on how this would pair up with the 8s say vs an Fiio X5.

Thoughts are most appreciated. Graph while pretty mean nothing to me (Stock charts yes..Sciencey Charts not so much).

I'd be mildly concerned about the 2 ohm output impedance because the 8s have such low impedance themselves. It might be close to inaudible, but it could also affect the frequency response of the 8s enough to notice. The change could be positive or negative though depending on personal taste. In other words, best to audition.

More importantly though, what on earth are you doing going anywhere without your 8s????
tongue_smile.gif

Jul 31, 2014 at 6:34 PM Post #4,819 of 22,945
I have been in the market for  DAC for a long while and have been excited about the Sony.  The nice look and UI.  That is until I saw this review....Guess I will either stick with my iPOD Touch Gen 5 or possibly go for the AK240.

I don't always agree with him but think he does a nice thorough job.  There are 2 parts to this review

Part 1-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7v8Cczw9MgE&list=PLDp6fyvziq0j8Vxt5GdNHfQYtl5nVQpT5

Part 2-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrG29RXxlfc

Jul 31, 2014 at 6:38 PM Post #4,820 of 22,945
Hey guys quick question. Just ordered my se846 and was curious about the use of them. Would I be able to use these all day without the earphones stressing my ears weight wise? Including work ,the gym etc.

Thanks

Jul 31, 2014 at 6:43 PM Post #4,821 of 22,945
I don't endorse using $1000 headphones in the gym for various reasons, but I have no problem wearing them all day long. Like, almost literally the entire day.

Also, I decided to try out the GIANT Westone foams (orange). They feel a little odd because they're so dang big, but the sound is lovely and they seal in my ears better than anything yet. I've always used mediums, maybe that's why I've always been shoving the things full depth in my ears.

Jul 31, 2014 at 7:11 PM Post #4,822 of 22,945
I don't endorse using $1000 headphones in the gym for various reasons, but I have no problem wearing them all day long. Like, almost literally the entire day.

Also, I decided to try out the GIANT Westone foams (orange). They feel a little odd because they're so dang big, but the sound is lovely and they seal in my ears better than anything yet. I've always used mediums, maybe that's why I've always been shoving the things full depth in my ears.

Appreciate it. Do you feel the need to get custom molds or do the westone stay in place when in movement

Jul 31, 2014 at 7:20 PM Post #4,823 of 22,945
Haha I'm probably not the best to as about the customs because I didn't have the best experience with that. But I'll say absolutely that the Westone foams stay right in place no matter what I'm doing.

Jul 31, 2014 at 7:54 PM Post #4,824 of 22,945

I'd be mildly concerned about the 2 ohm output impedance because the 8s have such low impedance themselves. It might be close to inaudible, but it could also affect the frequency response of the 8s enough to notice. The change could be positive or negative though depending on personal taste. In other words, best to audition.

More importantly though, what on earth are you doing going anywhere without your 8s????
tongue_smile.gif

Apparently it is 2ohms normal output and 1ohm for the balanced output.

How low an impedance do I need? Surely the AI can adapt the 8s as needed. Unless the apes have somehow through their Vegan stooges purposely have done something to thwart synergy between the two devices.

As to being out sans 8s. Driving and the 8s (with the SCS) is more than a little dangerous in the city. As one tends to fall into the music  and then .... Crash Test Monty - nothing good can come of it. Still I would no doubt have a blissful look on my face as the airbag explodes into it.

Jul 31, 2014 at 8:26 PM Post #4,826 of 22,945

Apparently it is 2ohms normal output and 1ohm for the balanced output.

How low an impedance do I need? Surely the AI can adapt the 8s as needed. Unless the apes have somehow through their Vegan stooges purposely have done something to thwart synergy between the two devices.

As to being out sans 8s. Driving and the 8s (with the SCS) is more than a little dangerous in the city. As one tends to fall into the music  and then .... Crash Test Monty - nothing good can come of it. Still I would no doubt have a blissful look on my face as the airbag explodes into it.

LOL to "Crash Test Monty"!!

1 ohm would be fine, but 2 is potentially too high. Without getting technical, it all depends on the individual differences between the 4 BA drivers in each of the 8s so auditioning is the only real way to know with such a small difference (if it were 22 ohm output like the original AK100 it would be an easy "now ay!"). Rule of thumb is to have output impedance always <1/8th of the earphone / headphone impedance

Jul 31, 2014 at 8:35 PM Post #4,827 of 22,945
  Monty did you watch those 2 videos i posted on the Sony Dap?  It is dead in the water for me as an option now as a result.

Yes I just finished. Very disappointing. Sort of reminds me of the Delorean when it came out when I was  - younger. A sizzle on the outside - nothing under the hood.

SONY ZX1

The AK 100ii is worth a listen. No Dual DAC like on the 120ii but also considerably less. And to be honest I am not so clear as to the advantages of a Dual DAC.

$900-$1000 Balanced and regular output 64gb built in (120ii has 128 built in). And it can play FLAC etc.

He says the iPod is a great player BUT it still will not play hi resolution (Which saves me a huge amount of time reburning my collection or downloading FLAC).
So I can stay with my iPod classic,
I am very fuzzy as to why the AK impedance is too high for the 8s. But then I am a bit thick that way.

Each has advantages each a drawback

SHURE make us a player or Brand one with someone so that it does what it does optimized to your 8s.

Not too much to ask.

Jul 31, 2014 at 9:11 PM Post #4,828 of 22,945

Yes I just finished. Very disappointing. Sort of reminds me of the Delorean when it came out when I was  - younger. A sizzle on the outside - nothing under the hood.

SONY ZX1

The AK 100ii is worth a listen. No Dual DAC like on the 120ii but also considerably less. And to be honest I am not so clear as to the advantages of a Dual DAC.

$900-$1000 Balanced and regular output 64gb built in (120ii has 128 built in). And it can play FLAC etc.

He says the iPod is a great player BUT it still will not play hi resolution (Which saves me a huge amount of time reburning my collection or downloading FLAC).
So I can stay with my iPod classic,
I am very fuzzy as to why the AK impedance is too high for the 8s. But then I am a bit thick that way.

Each has advantages each a drawback

SHURE make us a player or Brand one with someone so that it does what it does optimized to your 8s.

Not too much to ask.

I would aim at the AK120.

Jul 31, 2014 at 9:26 PM Post #4,829 of 22,945
The reviewer from the video is correct about the noise floor on the ZX1, but he makes too big a deal out of it and the signal to noise ratio (IMO).

The reviewer says he doesn't think he could pass a blind test between the ZX1 and iPod Touch 5g. I own the Touch 5g and had the ZX1 for a month and I compared them. I feel I could very easily pass a blind test between the two. Using the 846, the ZX1 clearly has a panned wide bias. The ZX1 ( with Clear Audio+ engaged) gave me a sense that the right and left panned signals took priority over the center channel (which is not the case with the iPod Touch 5g). A song like Michael Jackson's Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough on the ZX1 gave me a sense of near 3D visualization of precision instruments out wide. I never got any such sense with my Touch 5g. When that deep drum hit out wide, the sound was totally out of head. The ZX1 has a more fun and engaging sound on the go (with the 846) which exceeds the Touch 5g lower noise level (IMO). YMMV. I recommend not straining your ears trying to hear a noise floor difference with portable audio gear.

Jul 31, 2014 at 10:42 PM Post #4,830 of 22,945
  I would aim at the AK120.

The old 120 or the 120ii,
So many choices and opinions. IF I sit on my hands I can wait for the SONY to come to these shores then I can hear the AK and even the Fiio and THEN find the best price I can on the one I like best.

SONY does not even post the impedance so in the end I will have to trust my ears. Hiss would be a killer.

My best option is still for SHURE to build me the perfect DAP. How hard could it be and that would be a nice round out to the Consumer department and perhaps even a tool for musicians (Recording capability).....

Or maybe....., Of course! What would young Eric Cartman do?   ...

Dear Make a wish foundation,

I am very sick (of my iPod) I am being treated with heavy doses of Cowbell and Pink Floyd. I have months of treatment ahead with an uncertain prognosis....They say there is no cure.

Each day I need more and more cowbell and still I grow sicker (of my iPod). I do not know if a cure will find me in time so I am turning to you for my final wish before...... My perfect DAP only that can lift me from the gloom of my sickness and give my ears a new lease on Life.....Oh and not to seem ungrateful or anything but could you make sure it is 500GB and full loaded with FLAC 24bit Files of all my music and the attached wish list of recent remasters.

Oi And don't skimp on the Balanced Out ya smug self righteous do gooding bastards... Oh Sorry its the sickness (of my iPod )it makes me write the most horrible things. No inside pen is one of the symptoms of this incurable but preventable sickness

Thanking you in advance,

Monty Burns

Users who are viewing this thread

Back