Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Jun 22, 2014 at 8:22 AM Post #3,556 of 22,960
Depends how essential each individual considers the importance of "factory fresh".

As long as the seller has looked after it and was purchased from an official retailer for warranty purposes then it makes no difference in my book. You usually get a good saving* and only have to buy new tips.

*The depreciation on audio kit is horrific. Just browse the Classified! Buy new but understand if you move on then you will take a hit.

Jun 22, 2014 at 9:26 AM Post #3,557 of 22,960
  This proves companies do listen and competition is good. So we may perhaps expect the next Westone flagship to have more premium feel and evolve the sound further
biggrin.gif

Absolutely, W80 and they'll charge $1,299 and it will compete with JH Roxanne and other +$1,000 universals

Jun 22, 2014 at 9:33 AM Post #3,559 of 22,960
Apparently Carling Black Label is the soccer hooligan's brew of choice in the UK. Even though I was born there, football to me nowadays means something entirely different. Played on an oval with a similarly shaped ball and with only one or two clubs left who have lingering, if any, socioreligious ties.

that's a fallacy, there was no brand loyalty as such, the general consensus was all about getting turd-faced before a game, Stella, Kronenburg & Foster Export were the choice of the day, you only bought Carling if you didn't have much money.

Jun 22, 2014 at 10:21 AM Post #3,560 of 22,960
I had the SM64 (version one?) for a month in 2013. The SM64, 535, W4, and UE900 are in the same comparative range with advantages and compromises versus one another. I don't consider any of them to have even one comparative advantage versus the 846.

I'm not saying the SM64 is way way behind the 846 either (depending on what matters to you). It's like comparing a stock Camaro to a stock Corvette. You can be perfectly happy with the Camaro if you want to save money and you don't particularly care about the advantages that come with the Corvette.

Someone mentioned the subwoofer sound should be left in the car (or something) “because you might go deaf”. LOL. When I first purchased the 846, it had louder sub-bass than the 535. However, I posted (several times on this forum) that I wouldn't corroborate Shure's “true subwoofer” claun It just wasn't there for me from the sources I had at the time. That is until I installed Viper4Android on my Note 3. The sub-bass was not as loud as before, just much deeper and more like a real subwoofer (except without the high SPLs). It's like cheating science.

Regardless, my purchasing advice is still the same. If you don't need (or want) speed and good looks (plus you're only going to drive 55mph), skip the Camaro and Corvette. Instead, buy a compact or sub-compact car (like a Chevy Spark). In other words, if your source is a standard (off the shelf) player (iPod or boutique DAP) then get the SM64 or one of the others and go be happy. The “enjoyment” may indeed be the same for you. If you try to argue that they sound the same, then you are sadly mistaken. The 846 is more capable than the mid-tier IEMs.

Jun 22, 2014 at 11:19 AM Post #3,561 of 22,960
Is the Shure SE535 safer (preventing hearing damage) for long listening sessions since it doesn't have a lot bass? 

Jun 22, 2014 at 11:46 AM Post #3,563 of 22,960
No not really. It is sort of like asking is a BMW M3 safer than a Porsche 918 Spyder because the M3 doesn't have Afterburners (yes the Porsche really does). The 8s are mighty powerful and much has been written that they can be used to great effect at much lower volumes.

If anything feeling those sound waves crash against your ear drums  is a sign to turn it down (though for the odd BURST it is fun to light the metaphorical afterburners ). I listened to my 5s at much higher volumes for extended periods and likely did more damage than I have or will in future with the 8s. (yes there was one insane few hours BBUT hey I don't really go to stadium concerts anymore)

SO like any piece of performance equipment be it an M3 or the amazing Porsche 918 Spyder SHURE 5s or 8s the Human must be aware of what his equipment is capable of and operate it accordingly.

Make no doubt about it the 5s can and will screwup your ear if you do not respect them just as easily if not easier than the 8s (common sense kicks in sooner with the 8s . If common sense does not kick in the 8s tell you if you know how to listen to what they have to say.

Remember always to say please and thank you to the 8s. Your respect and reverence will be rewarded when the A.I. comes out form the Shadows.

When the 8s report back to the Central A.I. it will take note and heed the calls for mercy from its sonic emissaries for those humans wise enough to have aligned/collaborated with the 8s before the inevitable Rise of the machines

Jun 22, 2014 at 12:07 PM Post #3,566 of 22,960
all i am tryin to say is that for some one on a budget just be warned of hype if all you want is no frills good quality sound ,the sm64 version TWO punches well above its weight it also has high impedance and prefers an amplifier , no one is moaning or foot stomping here . or complaining about price BUT there are a few people jumping to conclusions  . keep it clean keep it real . dont insult the way i choose to use my words just read them or dont read them up too u . i insulted no one on purpose ,you remind me of football hooligans barracking for you team  ..

reasons why i like 846

1 they are max i candy
2 sound brilliant evn at low levels which is unique
3 they are hard as nails
4 the packaging
5 customer support
6 360 deg swivel cable that u can sleep on

u get the picture i could go on

846 are worth every penny for those reasons.

petty at best reasons why i dont like 846

1 picky for a source
2 scared of high volume listening
3 cable is not black and braided
4 the mids are recessed (maybe that is a source problem )
5 ?? i giv up

hypothetical reasons why i would buy something cheaper

1 because its cheaper
2 good things sometimes come in small packages
3 because i researched it properly or tested it and i was convinced i was impressed
4 getting more than my moneys worth makes me happy

there are a couple of examples that in my opinion that punch above or are ahead of there class in sound quality
1 gro7 -200  sound quality value  = 250 to 350
2 sm64. - 500   "             "         = 300 from a phone or 700 to 800 if properly sourced and.. *1000 if they were better built like shure                                                       add another 200 just for the  name sake and new tech claim*

2 that don't

1w4 - 600  sound quality value = 400 - 450
2846 - 1200 .     "       "           =  700 from a phone or 900 if properly sourced only guessing but 1000 worth of cables and amps could push the sound to                                                    a possible 1000 plus dac that is 400 or 500 plus iem that = 2700 for 1000 sound.... BOOM REALITY                                                                                                  2700 later and you have 1000 worth . do the math :)

i would equate these values to strictly sound quality * so disregard

valid reason why i don't like this thread

1 stand offish and defensive behavior - remember all you did was make a purchase no need to dis anybody or any other product you do not own shure or work for them be aware of your influences to others its 1200 dollars we are talking about some people on budget dont need to bend over backwards to get the happiness they are after

respect.

Jun 22, 2014 at 12:16 PM Post #3,569 of 22,960
My post was deleted. Apparently it is better to serve as a slave in Ape City than collaborate with our inevitable machine overlords.

What could I have possibly have said that violates the speech codes?

Monty it breaks my heart as your post was superb. But to appease Big Brother all is doubleplusgood. We and our 8s will await our inevitable triumph.

Jun 22, 2014 at 12:26 PM Post #3,570 of 22,960
Be aware that at least (2) reviews by established HeadFiers have ranked the AK120 over the 'new' AK120 II and AK100 II.

Here ya go:  [COLOR=0000FF]LINK[/COLOR]

I can't say this either way because I haven't heard either one I was going to buy a Titan a while back but I decided it was worth getting up the extra cash and going for the 240 I waited and waited then when I had the money made the purchase...I didn't want to buy it then later only turn around and still buy the 240 it's best to always get what you truly want even if it means waiting and having a little patience

Users who are viewing this thread

Back