Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Jun 22, 2014 at 12:26 PM Post #3,571 of 22,957
  all i am tryin to say is that for some one on a budget just be warned of hype if all you want is no frills good quality sound ,the sm64 version TWO punches well above its weight it also has high impedance and prefers an amplifier , no one is moaning or foot stomping here . or complaining about price BUT there are a few people jumping to conclusions  . keep it clean keep it real . dont insult the way i choose to use my words just read them or dont read them up too u . i insulted no one on purpose ,you remind me of football hooligans barracking for you team  ..

reasons why i like 846

1 they are max i candy
2 sound brilliant evn at low levels which is unique
3 they are hard as nails
4 the packaging
5 customer support
6 360 deg swivel cable that u can sleep on

u get the picture i could go on

846 are worth every penny for those reasons.

petty at best reasons why i dont like 846

1 picky for a source
2 scared of high volume listening
3 cable is not black and braided
4 the mids are recessed (maybe that is a source problem )
5 ?? i giv up

hypothetical reasons why i would buy something cheaper

1 because its cheaper
2 good things sometimes come in small packages
3 because i researched it properly or tested it and i was convinced i was impressed
4 getting more than my moneys worth makes me happy

there are a couple of examples that in my opinion that punch above or are ahead of there class in sound quality
1 gro7 -200  sound quality value  = 250 to 350
2 sm64. - 500   "             "         = 300 from a phone or 700 to 800 if properly sourced and.. *1000 if they were better built like shure                                                       add another 200 just for the  name sake and new tech claim*

2 that don't

1w4 - 600  sound quality value = 400 - 450
2846 - 1200 .     "       "           =  700 or 900 if properly sourced only guessing but 1000 worth of cables and amps could push the sound to                                                    a possible 1000 plus dac that is 400 or 500 plus iem that = 2700 for 1000 sound.... BOOM REALITY                                                                                                  2700 later and you have 1000 worth . do the math :)

i would equate these values to strictly sound quality * so disregard

valid reason why i don't like this thread

1 stand offish and defensive behavior - remember all you did was make a purchase no need to dis anybody or any other product you do not own shure or work for them be aware of your influences to others its 1200 dollars we are talking about some people on budget dont need to bend over backwards to get the happiness they are after

respect.

Is this all real or some of it is a joke? Meds are what?  recessed ?  Cable is not black is a reason not to like an earphone? I bet most would have bought the 846 with the old plain fragile SE530 cable. Yeah the stock aint the most comfy but it is very strong and heck if you dislike it due to color or not being twisted then it can be changed. Also Picky? To me the 846 is very flexible and adaptable to different sources. My 1 cent.

Jun 22, 2014 at 12:30 PM Post #3,572 of 22,957
all i am tryin to say is that for some one on a budget just be warned of hype if all you want is no frills good quality sound ,the sm64 version TWO punches well above its weight it also has high impedance and prefers an amplifier , no one is moaning or foot stomping here . or complaining about price BUT there are a few people jumping to conclusions  . keep it clean keep it real . dont insult the way i choose to use my words just read them or dont read them up too u . i insulted no one on purpose ,you remind me of football hooligans barracking for you team  ..

reasons why i like 846

1 they are max i candy
2 sound brilliant evn at low levels which is unique
3 they are hard as nails
4 the packaging
5 customer support
6 360 deg swivel cable that u can sleep on

u get the picture i could go on

846 are worth every penny for those reasons.

petty at best reasons why i dont like 846

1 picky for a source
2 scared of high volume listening
3 cable is not black and braided
4 the mids are recessed (maybe that is a source problem )
5 ?? i giv up

hypothetical reasons why i would buy something cheaper

1 because its cheaper
2 good things sometimes come in small packages
3 because i researched it properly or tested it and i was convinced i was impressed
4 getting more than my moneys worth makes me happy

there are a couple of examples that in my opinion that punch above or are ahead of there class in sound quality
1 gro7 -200  sound quality value  = 250 to 350
2 sm64. - 500   "             "         = 300 from a phone or 700 to 800 if properly sourced and.. *1000 if they were better built like shure                                                       add another 200 just for the  name sake and new tech claim*

2 that don't

1w4 - 600  sound quality value = 400 - 450
2846 - 1200 .     "       "           =  700 or 900 if properly sourced only guessing but 1000 worth of cables and amps could push the sound to                                                    a possible 1000 plus dac that is 400 or 500 plus iem that = 2700 for 1000 sound.... BOOM REALITY                                                                                                  2700 later and you have 1000 worth . do the math :)

i would equate these values to strictly sound quality * so disregard

valid reason why i don't like this thread

1 stand offish and defensive behavior - remember all you did was make a purchase no need to dis anybody or any other product you do not own shure or work for them be aware of your influences to others its 1200 dollars we are talking about some people on budget dont need to bend over backwards to get the happiness they are after

respect.

To I hope answer a couple of your complaints. First, the cable is a poor design and uncomfortable to me as well. My suggestion is look into aftermarket cables.

Second, the recessed mids are probably caused, as you surmised, by poor impedance matching with your source. The 8s should come with a big warning that with such a low input impedance choosing the appropriate source is paramount.

Jun 22, 2014 at 12:31 PM Post #3,573 of 22,957
  Thank you for your analysis.

pleasure
popcorn.gif

Jun 22, 2014 at 12:46 PM Post #3,574 of 22,957
Well, if you know you have a poor source match (or suspect you do), why continue to attempt to judge the IEM? I owned the 846 for nearly 5 months before I even knew it could sound so much better than I was hearing.

I only offered the SM64 version number because I was about to go into detail about its flaws but changed my mind because it's not important here. Versions of the same product are just minor changes. Earsonics make a $1000 universal earphone called an S-EM6. No one (and I mean no one) will believe that Earsonics made the SM64 to compete with the S-EM6. So, there really is no point in trying to claim the SM64 can sound like a $1000 IEM (just keepin' it real). The SM64 is mid-tier. It sounds like a good mid-tier IEM. The 846 (again) is more capable.

Oh, and I don't connect my 846 to an amp, just my Note 3.

Jun 22, 2014 at 12:58 PM Post #3,575 of 22,957
A Shure IEM with recessed mids??    ROTFLMAO!!!!      

Schtinkmeaner:  We understand the law of diminishing returns.  Sounds like your budget (or money you are willing to spend) is capped out at about $400.  We get it, that is fine.....and you will research the best sounding IEM "for you" at that price point.

But some are willing to spend more for nominal changes and that is also fine.  It is well documented what SE846 can do and has over SE535.  What those changes are worth is up to the individual and the marketplace.

....still laughing about the recessed mids....

Jun 22, 2014 at 1:01 PM Post #3,576 of 22,957
Truck, I see you have the Ipod Touch.  How does the SE846 do with it unamped?  I have a "Classic" 160 Ipod and I think the circuitry is very similar to the Touch.  In fact I think it's a great player.

Jun 22, 2014 at 1:05 PM Post #3,579 of 22,957
Monty it breaks my heart as your post was superb. But to appease Big Brother all is doubleplusgood. We and our 8s will await our inevitable triumph.

Found it !. By the grace of the omnipotent 8s a wise soul (perhaps guided by his 8s) quoted me in full so it ended up in my emails before it was deleted here.
For the sake of not raising the ire of Dr Zeaus and thus perhaps triggering an Ape Uprising  I shall just tuck it away in my PC. It may come in handy one day Should I ever have to prove my early bona fides and capitulation to our future overlord The A.I/  Machines. 

Monty Burns, SE846 Meat-Puppet (MP) class of 2014  (do I have to pay you royalties when I use the Term MP? MP Love it)

Jun 22, 2014 at 1:07 PM Post #3,580 of 22,957
  Truck, I see you have the Ipod Touch.  How does the SE846 do with it unamped?  I have a "Classic" 160 Ipod and I think the circuitry is very similar to the Touch.  In fact I think it's a great player.

I can understand why people like the iPod Touch 5G with the 846 (using the thinner tips). I can't use the thinner tips because I need greater isolation. With the triple-flange and triple-flange hybrid tips the sound from the iPod is congested. That only speaks to my use case. I think the 846 was likely tuned with the iPod/iPhone in mind.

Jun 22, 2014 at 1:24 PM Post #3,581 of 22,957
Found it !. By the grace of the omnipotent 8s a wise soul (perhaps guided by his 8s) quoted me in full so it ended up in my emails before it was deleted here.
For the sake of not raising the ire of Dr Zeaus and thus perhaps triggering an Ape Uprising  I shall just tuck it away in my PC. It may come in handy one day Should I ever have to prove my early bona fides and capitulation to our future overlord The A.I/  Machines. 

Monty Burns, SE846 Meat-Puppet (MP) class of 2014  (do I have to pay you royalties when I use the Term MP? MP Love it)

As a fellow traveler and SE846 Meat Puppet class of August 2013 welcome.

Truck my friend, I also agree that the 846 was tuned for the iPod with its low output impedance and easy to drive sound.

Jun 22, 2014 at 1:39 PM Post #3,583 of 22,957
Perhaps then I should hold out for Apple to improve upon the iPod (lie they even care about it anymore)

Fight now I am leaning towards the SONY when it comes to NA I want and need a warranty. Cause if I don't have one then I will need one. Sod's Law

Right now I need lunch or there be no meat on this puppets bones

Jun 22, 2014 at 1:43 PM Post #3,584 of 22,957

You said Meat Puppet(s)...!  Great Band...
tongue.gif

Cool common ground - music the reason we came to the 8s in the firstplace. I am not paying them royalties either

Jun 22, 2014 at 1:53 PM Post #3,585 of 22,957

Maybe best not listen to Metal, Trance, EDM because loud is so much fun with them! If worried about hearing stick with frank Sinatra, James Taylor and nat King Cole.

Surprisingly as a result of excellent studio work Frank and JT (more so JT) have a surprising amount of bass, And Franks Horns and Dr ums could do a bit of damage. Not Trance or Metal but still..

Ok its Sunday summer sunny and hot as Frank would say

I've got the world on a string, sittin' on a rainbow,
Got the string around my finger,
What a world, what a life...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back