Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Jun 9, 2014 at 10:42 PM Post #3,046 of 22,954

I am assuming the JH's are customs, right?  That's impressive given the fact that the JHs have 4 drivers dedicated to bass alone.

I am not impressed at all with driver count, and thats seems to be the trend.  Every driver is a failure liability.  I much prefer Shure's philosophy on the matter - instead of hosing the problem down with more drivers, simply get more from the drivers you DO have.

True JH15 has 4 drivers for bass, 2 for meds and 2 for treble. Yes that makes the 846 pretty special having only 4 but the 846 is a newer model with improvements and a new design for the bass. Both are great earphones that can make any style of music shine. I like customs but when I am off to work I usually grab the earphone I can put on and remove while on the go and it is usually a universal.

Jun 9, 2014 at 11:01 PM Post #3,047 of 22,954
  Hello I had the W3 for a long time and I do like them. I sort of abuse them because I take them when it is raining or if I am going to be sweaty. The W3 are nice but compared to the 846 well the 846 does everything better. I also have the JH 16 and it is very nice but I would say the 846 matches it and beats it a bit in the bass region. 

Thanks for the impressions. When you say that the se846 matches or beats the JH16's bass, are you referring to quantity, detail, sub-bass extension, impact, or something else?

Jun 9, 2014 at 11:05 PM Post #3,048 of 22,954

Thanks for the impressions. When you say that the se846 matches or beats the JH16's bass, are you referring to quantity, detail, sub-bass extension, impact, or something else?

I would say the 846 equals the JH16 in all regions but at times the bass from the 846 sounds very close to a dynamic driver instead of a BA Driver.

Jun 9, 2014 at 11:21 PM Post #3,051 of 22,954
  What earphones do you have? What style of music you listen to? Really depends on the music you listen to when trying to find an earphone.

I'm using the Westone 3's right now. They seemed bass heavy to me at first, but I've grown accustomed to it and kind of like the bass boost in noisy environments. I listen to a lot of rock, but some electronica and hip hop. I really like the sound of the Sennheiser HD650's, so the reports I'm hearing that Shure is noted for having good mids and smooth treble appeals to me. I don't like the HD650's low end rolloff, though; wish it had more really deep sub-bass.

Jun 9, 2014 at 11:21 PM Post #3,052 of 22,954
Having gone from dynamic drivers (Sennheiser IE8 and IE800), I have not experienced any BA* IEMs besides the Shure SE846, however four drivers dedicated to bass alone? Seems like overkill to me, especially when other parts of build and anatomy are taken into consideration.

* In craft beer terms, "BA" stands for "barrel aged". Not sure if cross promotion is allowed here but my beer blog can be found at www.metalhophead.blogspot.com :)

Jun 9, 2014 at 11:30 PM Post #3,053 of 22,954

I'm using the Westone 3's right now. They seemed bass heavy to me at first, but I've grown accustomed to it and kind of like the bass boost in noisy environments. I listen to a lot of rock, but some electronica and hip hop. I really like the sound of the Sennheiser HD650's, so the reports I'm hearing that Shure is noted for having good mids and smooth treble appeals to me. I don't like the HD650's low end rolloff, though; wish it had more really deep sub-bass.

I love bass and sub bass. Having gone to many live concerts I really enjoyed hearing and feeling the music and the floor shake. Growing up in Miami I installed 12 inch woofers some times four 12 inch woofers with German made Meds and Tweeters. Yes the W3 has bass but its bass is not nearly as deep and wide as the 846. Also the meds and Treble of the W3 are not as clear as the 846 or any top earphone for that matter. The W3 are fun and good but compared to the 846 it is not a match at all. Also the sound stage of the W3 is very narrow once you have listened to the 846 but most earphone at the price of W3 are like that. The 846 compared to a over the ear Headphone is like being right in the middle of the concert at the second row while to me the over the ear headphones are like being at the 20th row.

Jun 9, 2014 at 11:34 PM Post #3,054 of 22,954
  True JH15 has 4 drivers for bass, 2 for meds and 2 for treble. Yes that makes the 846 pretty special having only 4 but the 846 is a newer model with improvements and a new design for the bass. Both are great earphones that can make any style of music shine. I like customs but when I am off to work I usually grab the earphone I can put on and remove while on the go and it is usually a universal.

Convenience does factor in, for sure.  Another bonus for me is that I do like to introduce people to hi fidelity audio and the 846s are a great candidate for doing just that.

Jun 9, 2014 at 11:54 PM Post #3,056 of 22,954
  I love bass and sub bass. Having gone to many live concerts I really enjoyed hearing and feeling the music and the floor shake. Growing up in Miami I installed 12 inch woofers some times four 12 inch woofers with German made Meds and Tweeters. Yes the W3 has bass but its bass is not nearly as deep and wide as the 846. Also the meds and Treble of the W3 are not as clear as the 846 or any top earphone for that matter. The W3 are fun and good but compared to the 846 it is not a match at all. Also the sound stage of the W3 is very narrow once you have listened to the 846 but most earphone at the price of W3 are like that. The 846 compared to a over the ear Headphone is like being right in the middle of the concert at the second row while to me the over the ear headphones are like being at the 20th row.

These are sounding better and better to me. I've been reluctant to get into high end IEMs since they're not as durable or long lasting as headphones or speakers. But I've come to the realization that I use IEMs a majority of the time, partly because I can listen to music at work discreetly with them. If I'm getting that much use out of them, it makes sense to step up my IEMs.

Jun 9, 2014 at 11:58 PM Post #3,057 of 22,954

I recently switched to the black filter. I think the source is important in determining which filter to use. When I made the switch from blue to black on June 1, I had to change some settings in Viper4Android to get it to sound the way I wanted. The black filter also sounds good with the DX90. I wished I would have tried it with the Sony ZX1 (when I had it).

BTW, I think the triple-flanges are the only silicon tip provided.

Truckdriver -

Finally got viper installed on my S4.  switched from listening to music i put on the phone to the higher quality versions on spotify and the difference is fantastic.  The sound is unbelievable.  Took a few days to dial viper in to a good general setting, but was well worth the effort.  It truly is mind blowing.  Thanks so much for that tip.

The thing about the 846s is that they are  SO good and sound SO fabulous that they are forgiving.  You can be off on the settings and the music STILL rocks like nobody's business. 

Jun 10, 2014 at 12:16 AM Post #3,058 of 22,954
  True the 846 is perfect but have different size tips because others have different size ear canals.

I do.  I carry a good assortment in my carrying case....just in the event I want to let someone hear the Shures.  And on those occasions I do enlighten someone, watching their expression change as I hit the play button is priceless.  Dude, you cannot buy entertainment like that.

Sad.  The average person has no idea what music can sound like.  Makes my heart hurt....but only as long as it takes to hit the play button....and then I don't feel bad about ANYTHING.  Life is good....and scott wieland kicks ass.

Jun 10, 2014 at 12:18 AM Post #3,059 of 22,954

I do.  I carry a good assortment in my carrying case....just in the event I want to let someone hear the Shures.  And on those occasions I do enlighten someone, watching their expression change as I hit the play button is priceless.  Dude, you cannot buy entertainment like that.

Sad.  The average person has no idea what music can sound like.  Makes my heart hurt....but only as long as it takes to hit the play button....and then I don't feel bad about ANYTHING.  Life is good....and scott wieland kicks ass.

STP were great so were AIC !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back