Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
May 7, 2014 at 7:26 AM Post #2,236 of 22,954
I use the 846's at home as well. The main reason I'm still buying over the ear headphones is how easy they are to get on and off and for comfort. My Beyerdynamic T5p set are much easier to get on and off. With the 846's and other iem's I usually have to fiddle around with the fit for a minute or two before I'm happy with it.

May 7, 2014 at 7:30 AM Post #2,237 of 22,954
  i do not like that I am incorrectly LABELED here as a junior one bit!  just wanna point that out to you moderators I think your labeling is full of w$$k 
subbed to this, 846 in the mail pretty chuft :)

It's just a generic board thing.   Lighten up.

May 7, 2014 at 7:46 AM Post #2,238 of 22,954
  i do not like that I am incorrectly LABELED here as a junior one bit!  just wanna point that out to you moderators I think your labeling is full of w$$k 
subbed to this, 846 in the mail pretty chuft :)

So you're implying that you were an experienced head-fier here previously?
Once your post count goes past 30 the label will change

May 7, 2014 at 8:05 AM Post #2,240 of 22,954
This one is completely against the grain in terms of my listening habits, however I was particularly taken aback by how the SE846s handled the BBC Big Band Orchestra's rendition of "Chattanooga Choo Choo."

The (double?) bass really does make its presence known!  Woodwind and brass instruments sound fantastic as well.  While the IE800s did a good job of this song; clear and concise, the 846s won yet again in properly bringing the piece to life.  True musicality.  Upon commencement of each saxophone, trombone, trumpet and clarinet note it is easy to decipher the musician's breath passing through the instrument.  Piano, as ever, sounds natural, guitars likewise and both male & female vocals (while a tad subdued) do the job nicely.  This is no exaggeration, especially considering that this was an iTunes download!

I do have some Dean Martin and the singer who dreams he were Dean Martin (Frank Sinatra) (all in flac) in my collection - perhaps I should indulge myself further in this particular musical realm!

May 7, 2014 at 8:20 AM Post #2,241 of 22,954
eh generic board thing or not ,because it is there people pay attention to it. I am no way a junior beginner or noob I am just pointing that out even if i was doesn't make my opinion more or less correct than any other member on here. its just a forum no need for hierarchy or upertyness here or even in the real world for that matter so they can lighten up if u get me 
any way 

May 7, 2014 at 8:27 AM Post #2,242 of 22,954
I'm not a classical music fan but I was listening to some Mahler and Bach DSD files last night and my jaw was on the floor. The SE846 is an outstanding IEM. Best headphone purchase I've made and easily worth the initial investment.

May 7, 2014 at 8:28 AM Post #2,243 of 22,954
  eh generic board thing or not ,because it is there people pay attention to it. I am no way a junior beginner or noob I am just pointing that out even if i was doesn't make my opinion more or less correct than any other member on here. its just a forum no need for hierarchy or upertyness here or even in the real world for that matter so they can lighten up if u get me 
any way 

People pay more attention to what you write than your generic tag.     Most people realize that this is a reflection on your membership on the board, and not anything else.  

I hear what you are saying and actually agree with that point about not needing hierarchical tags, but perhaps you should take it up in the suggestion sub-forum, not here?   

May 7, 2014 at 8:39 AM Post #2,244 of 22,954
I've had mine for a week now, tried it with x5 and dx90+ different amps( pure ii, rsa71a,rsa shadow,sony pha2),they don't benefit massively but prob a bit better with one.
Got them for£700 incl shipping next day from ebay, no receipt but brand new and great guy.
Im still absolutely thrilled with these!

May 7, 2014 at 8:55 AM Post #2,245 of 22,954
That is the problem with relying on the views and opinions of everyone - people are so varied on any given aspect of how something sounds.  Earlier, I read a post in the this thread in which the 535 owner stated the improvement over the 535's is huge.  I am sure both  of you are correct in your statements, the question is 'who would I most likely agree with - given my tastes?'.

But, it is what it is.  Still, if the improvement over the 535's is only minimal, then is the added cost justified?  I guess the answer to that question is  based on the individual making the decision and how much that improvement, however small, is worth  to him.  But from a common sense stand point - the cost difference is significant so the expectation is that the degree of improvement over the 535s also be substantial.

These things are always dependent on source + ears.

I personally do not require long to evaluate the overall flavour of headphones with the benefit of experience gained.

If someone hears the opposite it does not mean one person *must* be wrong. You do not know if the other hears the same sound just as you cannot know someone is seeing the same exact shade of red.

The only constant is to demo prior to buying, or choose an online retailer with a good returns policy

May 7, 2014 at 12:06 PM Post #2,246 of 22,954
These things are always dependent on source + ears
If someone hears the opposite it does not mean one person *must* be wrong. You do not know if the other hears the same sound just as you cannot know someone is seeing the same exact shade of red.

By the same token, not everything that someone hears is accurate.   I dont disagree with what you are saying - i just think it is taken a little to the extreme in the audio world, resulting in a lot of naked emperors running around.  

May 7, 2014 at 1:26 PM Post #2,247 of 22,954
I just picked up a pair this morning. My jaw is on the floor. 846's are gonna stay in my ears all day!

I'm listening straight from my macbook but already these are leagues ahead my IE8's/ibassD10/iMod rig

May 7, 2014 at 1:37 PM Post #2,248 of 22,954
For anyone wanting a discount from an authorized retailer on the SE846, I bought mine at one of the InMotion Entertainment stores that are ubiquitous in major airports in the US. Not only do they let you demo them there, but you can usually negotiate a little bit. Just be friendly with the store workers. I happened to be demoing with an employee who was the store manager and asked if he could do better on the price. He dropped it 10% right there. I might have been able to bargain him a bit lower but had to rush to catch my flight. Be warned, however: the packaging for the SE846 is HUGE by IEM standards. I could barely cram it in my carry-on!

May 7, 2014 at 1:51 PM Post #2,249 of 22,954
I've had mine for a week now, tried it with x5 and dx90+ different amps( pure ii, rsa71a,rsa shadow,sony pha2),they don't benefit massively but prob a bit better with one.
Got them for£700 incl shipping next day from ebay, no receipt but brand new and great guy.
Im still absolutely thrilled with these!

Did I see you posting in the DITA Truth Edition thread? How do you compare them with the SE846? I know there were some comparisons between the two in that thread already, but I'd love to hear your opinion. Do you have a personal preference between the two?

May 7, 2014 at 2:40 PM Post #2,250 of 22,954
I was going to order a balanced cable for my Shure SE846 and AK240, but I have a question. What's the difference between ordering a cable with an AK240 plug vs. using an adapter from a standard stereo female mini-jack to AK240 4-pin, so that I can use the cable with and without balanced devices? Do I lose the benefits of balanced if I went with #2?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back