Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Apr 22, 2014 at 6:18 AM Post #1,906 of 22,945
  Anyone here have the JH Audio Roxanne? I'm perfectly happy with the SE846 (for an IEM) but nonetheless if the Roxanne is better for my tastes I'd like to get that instead. Any information you can offer to compare the two would be great.

Heh Heh Heh........... I have them both. Mind if I ask what soft of sound is your cup of tea? What are you looking for? What do you look to improve in the SE846 if you could improve it? 

Apr 22, 2014 at 7:21 AM Post #1,907 of 22,945
Anyone here have the JH Audio Roxanne? I'm perfectly happy with the SE846 (for an IEM) but nonetheless if the Roxanne is better for my tastes I'd like to get that instead. Any information you can offer to compare the two would be great.

I have them both too. After I got the Roxanne, I have no desire to use iems. Not because of the sound, but mostly, because of comfort and isolation. And sound of Roxanne is better then Shure 846.

Apr 22, 2014 at 8:49 AM Post #1,908 of 22,945
Describing in which way the Roxanne sounds better would be more helpful that just stating your preference. Also curious about comparisons.
So far I came across two people preferring the Shure and Vlad preferring the Roxanne. Waiting for Joshua's take. 
wink.gif

Apr 22, 2014 at 9:46 AM Post #1,910 of 22,945
  Roxanne still has the cable connector smash problem, no?

No problems if you have the clear cable. And they shipping black cable with new improved nuts.

Apr 22, 2014 at 10:15 AM Post #1,911 of 22,945
  Describing in which way the Roxanne sounds better would be more helpful that just stating your preference. Also curious about comparisons.
So far I came across two people preferring the Shure and Vlad preferring the Roxanne. Waiting for Joshua's take. 
wink.gif

For me, I prefer the Roxannes more. I would say that the Roxannes are the best in ears that I own. Although I would concede that I only spent like half an hour with them as I got the universal version and I only managed to listen to them for halk an hour when they came and sent them off to get custom sleeves. To some extent, they sound like an LCDX. 

Apr 22, 2014 at 11:18 AM Post #1,912 of 22,945
wink.gif

I did describe why I prefer Roxanne earlier in thread Roxanne vs Shure 846.
Basically, better separation and soundstage. More extended treble. Bass is about the same. For me it's more about the whole picture, not only SQ.
I love Roxanne's connectors, I love how they fit in my ears and how fast I can put them in and take them out. I love the total outside sound isolation when I am on the bus commuting. Even I use them in the Gym every day, which is, probably, not a good idea. But just like I said before, psychologically, I can't go back to universals, even if they sound better. This is why I sold my 1+2s with Uber Cable. They did sound better when Roxanne's. But that's about it. The Uber cable is useless outside and I hated the connectors falling out all the time.

I didn't believe people saying " once you switch from universals to customs, it's no way back". Now, when I did it myself, I think, it's so true.

Apr 22, 2014 at 11:53 AM Post #1,913 of 22,945

Basically, better separation and soundstage. More extended treble. Bass is about the same. For me it's more about the whole picture, not only SQ.
I love Roxanne's connectors, I love how they fit in my ears and how fast I can put them in and take them out. I love the total outside sound isolation when I am on the bus commuting. Even I use them in the Gym every day, which is, probably, not a good idea. But just like I said before, psychologically, I can't go back to universals, even if they sound better. This is why I sold my 1+2s with Uber Cable. They did sound better when Roxanne's. But that's about it. The Uber cable is useless outside and I hated the connectors falling out all the time.

I didn't believe people saying " once you switch from universals to customs, it's no way back". Now, when I did it myself, I think, it's so true.

Thanks for explaining. How much better is the Roxanne you think in terms of soundstage and separation over the Shure SE846? Is it alot or just a little bit?

(So 12 drivers vs 4 drivers is only a difference in soundstage and separation?)

Apr 22, 2014 at 12:50 PM Post #1,915 of 22,945

That's great with more extended treble, I was holding back because I thought Roxanne is a dark IEM from what I read in that thread. I believe some owners were complaining not enough sparkle. 

Apr 22, 2014 at 12:53 PM Post #1,916 of 22,945

For me, I prefer the Roxannes more. I would say that the Roxannes are the best in ears that I own. Although I would concede that I only spent like half an hour with them as I got the universal version and I only managed to listen to them for halk an hour when they came and sent them off to get custom sleeves. To some extent, they sound like an LCDX. 

Hey Joshua, thanks for the input. Does the treble quality of Roxanne sound like LCD X? Which one has more sparkle or brighter?

Also does the Roxanne mid quality as good as Shure 846?

I strike the Roxanne out of my list earlier because of reports of it being a dark IEM, but from what I gather here it may not be so.. Can anyone confirm?

Apr 22, 2014 at 12:54 PM Post #1,917 of 22,945

That's great with more extended treble, I was holding back because I thought Roxanne is a dark IEM from what I read in that thread. I believe some owners were complaining not enough sparkle. 

Well, I don't know how Roxanne sounds, but JH said on his google interview(on the front page) is that he was working on solutions of treble roll off on BA, and I'm sure by Roxanne, he probably perfected it.  He is the pioneer of the customs and multi-BA driver iems.

Apr 22, 2014 at 1:07 PM Post #1,918 of 22,945
Hey Joshua, thanks for the input. Does the treble quality of Roxanne sound like LCD X? Which one has more sparkle or brighter?

Also does the Roxanne mid quality as good as Shure 846?

I strike the Roxanne out of my list earlier because of reports of it being a dark IEM, but from what I gather here it may not be so.. Can anyone confirm?

I wouldn't say it is dark, but if you were to jump straight from maybe say a JH16, you may find the highs a little laid back. IMO I think most people prefer brighter sounding IEMs because it gives a sense of clarity. The Roxannes are definitely not bright though, so if you're looking for a bright-sounding IEM it might not suit you. Safest bet is to try it yourself :)

Apr 22, 2014 at 1:15 PM Post #1,919 of 22,945
I wouldn't say it is dark, but if you were to jump straight from maybe say a JH16, you may find the highs a little laid back. IMO I think most people prefer brighter sounding IEMs because it gives a sense of clarity. The Roxannes are definitely not bright though, so if you're looking for a bright-sounding IEM it might not suit you. Safest bet is to try it yourself
smily_headphones1.gif

Is Roxanne brighter than Shure 846? That's all I want to know to pull the trigger.  

Apr 22, 2014 at 1:21 PM Post #1,920 of 22,945
I wouldn't say it is dark, but if you were to jump straight from maybe say a JH16, you may find the highs a little laid back. IMO I think most people prefer brighter sounding IEMs because it gives a sense of clarity. The Roxannes are definitely not bright though, so if you're looking for a bright-sounding IEM it might not suit you. Safest bet is to try it yourself
smily_headphones1.gif

Yes, Roaxanne is not bright, but it's better, cause it's not fatiguing and I can listen them longer. It's just right amount of treble. Specially if you EQing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back