Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Mar 7, 2014 at 5:10 PM Post #1,546 of 22,960

I think its just a different level of experience here. An experience audiophile who has been playing around various equipment, cables, dacs/amps over many years and decades will have a different perspective of another who has just started in this hobby. Here I think the key differences is the level of appreciation..

Here, here.  When I first started in this hobby on this site, I assumed that because I couldn't hear it with my HD600 and Cosmic Headphone Amp, I thought either my hearing was poor or the people on this forum were snake-oil salesmen.  I think there are outrageous claims out there, but there is a significant amount of learning before you can appreciate the extra 1%-5% that a good DAC/amp combo can get you over a basic iDevice (which I think the Shure 846 was tuned for).

Do I regret ever getting to the point where I want to milk some more out of the Shure 846?  Yes.  But I'm here and it's hard to go back.  That extra percent does add to my enjoyment.

Mar 7, 2014 at 5:30 PM Post #1,550 of 22,960
Last I heard putting on headphones does not qualify you to engineer digital and analog circuits and vice versa.

Mar 7, 2014 at 7:31 PM Post #1,551 of 22,960
Last I heard putting on headphones does not qualify you to engineer digital and analog circuits and vice versa.

I agree. To attack a $120,000 state of the art piece of audio equipment over such a trival matter I hope are not what these forums are about. Unless someone has actually listened to the equipment any such comments are simply jealousy over not being about to afford it. We see a lot of that over the AK240 as we did here about the SE846 before it was released.

Mar 7, 2014 at 7:49 PM Post #1,554 of 22,960
is it worth to upgrade from W4R to SE846?

The 4R are great IEMs and I'm kinda tempted to buy the newer W40 over the Shures in order to save myself some cash. But I'd expect the SE846 to be a significant upgrade on the basis of price and some of the comments I've read by people with lots of experience with IEMs.

There's also the matter of the W50 and W60 to consider. Looks like they're Westone's answer to the SE846. Don't know when they're going to be released but I'm trying to hold back until more impressions about them are forthcoming. A six driver Westone is something to get excited about.

I can't really be bothered with the messing around involved with customs, but my reading has led me to believe that some of these new universals are right up there on the same level as the best CIEMs. We're spoilt for choice these days.

Mar 7, 2014 at 8:00 PM Post #1,556 of 22,960
I agree. To attack a $120,000 state of the art piece of audio equipment over such a trival matter I hope are not what these forums are about. Unless someone has actually listened to the equipment any such comments are simply jealousy over not being about to afford it. We see a lot of that over the AK240 as we did here about the SE846 before it was released.

I didn't mean to attack them just sharing a funny link. Who knows it might sound better that way to the trained ear.

However I'm pretty skeptical about the question of how many of these super expensive amps a 2 year old company has sold. I wouldn't be surprised if it's zero. That's just alot of money.

Mar 7, 2014 at 8:00 PM Post #1,557 of 22,960
The se846 has caused me to be much more active. I'm exercising more now and being out and about more, all because of the se846's fun sound. Really an outstanding product.

For two years I thought the SE535 and lossless music out of an iPod Classic was the pinnacle of headphone listening...then I discovered Head-Fi. I know what you mean though. I found that they got me out and about lots too.

Mar 7, 2014 at 8:15 PM Post #1,558 of 22,960
I didn't mean to attack them just sharing a funny link. Who knows it might sound better that way to the trained ear.

However I'm pretty skeptical about the question of how many of these super expensive amps a 2 year old company has sold. I wouldn't be surprised if it's zero. That's just alot of money.

You would be surprised - they probably sell all they make. It's better than spending 12K on Courvoisier and hookers in Vegas.....  (I'm fairly certain)

Mar 7, 2014 at 8:33 PM Post #1,560 of 22,960
makes me feel better about my headphone spending

There are worse things that you can spend it on.... If middle America funneled all that WWF money into HiFi, we'd have a TOTL DAP with a decent UI.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back