Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Mar 3, 2014 at 1:03 AM Post #1,412 of 22,960
And if you hear in x3 with se845 without the e12, the sound is still good?.

Yup.. heh, actually listening to them now.  "Just lovely". :D

I switched off from my HD800's as the ambient noise was getting to me (kids/tv/wife)

Peace at last again.

TooCas

Mar 3, 2014 at 10:11 AM Post #1,414 of 22,960
Yup... I own those.  Just fine for normal casual listening - pretty dang good pairing.  I use the the X3 with my E12 when having a more serious session.  Better dynamics... etc.

I'm waiting for the X5... hoping it will remove the need of the E12...  for better portability.

TooCas.

Do let me know if you managed to try the x5 if possible? I cant decide which to get! :frowning2:

Mar 3, 2014 at 2:14 PM Post #1,415 of 22,960
Th900 versus 846.
Downtemple dub remixes.
HPA8 amplifier designed for th900.
First its probably not fair to compare two different sonic driver systems, in ear and over ear. The hpa8 is an excellent vehicle to test though as it has two headphone slots for comparison. the 846 obviously needs a lot less power than the th900 so while there seems to be concern what pairs well with 846, its not as much as concern as one thinks. They sound pretty decent powered by an iphone as an example. As an outset the HPA8 provides an excellent full natural pallet as a baseline and have the gain near max with no ill effects at all, just beautiful warm forward soundstage. Th900 provides a wide rich 3d experience that doesn't sound overdone at any part of the frequency. The lows are natural as the highs with a rich middle as well. Im not sure that IEM can provide that kind of separation and detail while remains natural. The 846 bass and low end are immediately felt and presented to the listener, the U is sharp as the mids may be caved a bit to bring out some cracking highs and sharp detail. However the pallet of the 846 is overall warm yet doesn't extend nearly as far, as the mid range cave, or U certainly makes them sound less dynamic, with less forward mids. Now do not assume I dislike this presentation, again those thumps coming from the 846 at the low end certainly have the intended effect, they do sound as they sound. while th900 provide the musicality in entirety, the 846 provide a sound compensation to make the tunes sound bigger without being bigger. Again without being an engineer I mean what can one do in such a small space as an IEM that wouldn't compromise overall separation. Th900 uses an inorganic cellulose diaphragm as an example and not sure how an IEM could ever stack up against that. 
The end result the TH900 remains for me a pinnacle delivery system for music to be heard as naturally and as completely in range without gimmicks, the lows full complete but not overdone, and for those that wish to hear the midrange timber, these are the cans for you. The 846 is an extraordinary IEM for bass heads and folks looking to get more from there IEM experience. This comes at a price of less mids and some snapping sharp highs ( good thing) but seeing as I find over ear more comfortable and provides a richer complete soundstage I probably wont listen to the 846 much inside. These are made for for travel IMO, and certainly take the experience from the Iphone to more than expectable level and represent in my limited experience, an excellent IEM. 
Thanks for letting me share.

Mar 3, 2014 at 2:36 PM Post #1,416 of 22,960

Are you sure they are an authorized retailer? Sometimes companies have a policy of not supporting stuff sold by unauthorized retailers. Sorry to hear about yoru trouble that sucks with a $1,000 headphone and that dealer AGI is not one I'm going to want to ever deal with.

I can attest to the fact that AGIPRODJ is an authorized dealer. I purchased a pair of SE846 earphones from them for an unbelievably low price on 2/25. Three days later FedEx came to my door with a drop shipment directly from Shure's HQ in Niles, IL. I couldn't be happier!

My manufacturing date, for anyone interested, is 2/13/2014.

Mar 3, 2014 at 5:26 PM Post #1,417 of 22,960
So sent another e-mail to Shure yesterday, and got a response today within 24 hours! Not sure what happened last week, maybe the last 2 got lost in the world wide interwebs, either way I'm shipping back my SE846 now, will update once I receive a new one :)

Mar 3, 2014 at 5:34 PM Post #1,418 of 22,960
  So sent another e-mail to Shure yesterday, and got a response today within 24 hours! Not sure what happened last week, maybe the last 2 got lost in the world wide interwebs, either way I'm shipping back my SE846 now, will update once I receive a new one :)

When you ask the universe nicely, it responds back within 24 hours. True story.

Mar 3, 2014 at 10:30 PM Post #1,419 of 22,960
Guys. Someone from another thread claims the much maligned AGIPRODJ gives you 20% off an SEH846 if you use this code. http://couponfollow.com/site/agiprodj.com

Similarly, spectrumaudio gives you $150 if you register.

Too later for me (I'm not going through the hassle of returning a pair of working SE846s for the discount; I'm just happy mine work in light of Shure's approximately 5% fail rate) but might help you guys.

Mar 4, 2014 at 9:53 AM Post #1,421 of 22,960
SE846 owners,

Do either of you hear a slight hissing sound with any of your sources? On mine, if I plug them into my Galaxy Note II, there is a slight hissing/treble static sound. That sound doesn't exist (or it exists at an almost imperceptible volume) with my LG G Flex. Since the sound varies depending on the source, I can't imagine that it would be the headphone's fault, but I was wondering if anyone else heard anything similar.

P.S. Even on the note 2, the sound is more or less drowned out with one bar of volume, and almost imperceptible with 2 bars of volume.

Mar 4, 2014 at 10:02 AM Post #1,422 of 22,960
How's the cable on these? I do recall that when Shure made the switch to these cables there were some issues with them. Is that still the case or is it good on its own. Of course if I wanted I could get some aftermarket cables but prefer if stock cable was good.

Mar 4, 2014 at 10:09 AM Post #1,423 of 22,960
How's the cable on these? I do recall that when Shure made the switch to these cables there were some issues with them. Is that still the case or is it good on its own. Of course if I wanted I could get some aftermarket cables but prefer if stock cable was good.

They're the exact same cables as my SE425 (and I assume the same as the other SEs). They're a little stiffer than they need to be but I don't mind them. I find that letting them hang behind your head (as opposed to under your chin) reduces cable noise etc.

Plus, the SE846 come with an extra set of cables.

Mar 4, 2014 at 10:22 AM Post #1,424 of 22,960
They are Kevlar, so a little difficult to manipulate but just fine.
To the hiss guy, absolutely no hiss on the hpa8.

Mar 4, 2014 at 10:30 AM Post #1,425 of 22,960
They are Kevlar, so a little difficult to manipulate but just fine.
To the hiss guy, absolutely no hiss on the hpa8.

Thanks. If by chance anyone has a Galaxy Note 2 phone that they could try that would be great. Mine only has hiss on that (it might have a tiny amount of hiss on other sources but I really can't tell it's so low).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back