Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Feb 10, 2014 at 6:30 AM Post #1,021 of 22,954
Rooting S4 for android 4.3,  or 4.4 may be problematic due to the KNOX functionality, which raises a non erasable KNOX violation flag (may void warrenty)
If you have either 4.1 or 4.2 than rooting is reversible.
If you are not really familiar with rooting, them I suggest to refreain from doing it.

Feb 10, 2014 at 7:24 AM Post #1,022 of 22,954
Rooting S4 for android 4.3,  or 4.4 may be problematic due to the KNOX functionality, which raises a non erasable KNOX violation flag (may void warrenty)
If you have either 4.1 or 4.2 than rooting is reversible.
If you are not really familiar with rooting, them I suggest to refreain from doing it.

That's what I thought and thanks for the reaffirmation. I'll wait for a couple of months and try it out when the warranty expires. Thanks again zolom.

Feb 10, 2014 at 7:29 AM Post #1,023 of 22,954

May be you wanna try the 4T instead. It is far better than 4G to my ears. But yes, it doesn't improve the Shure 846 much but it does improve the 1plus2.

I see that the amp section has changed with the Arrow 4N and 4T, so (for someone with an iPod) that at least seems better than my 4G. I'm not going to try it because I don't need an amp with my S2 (due to V4A).

As for rooting, I would like to root my Note 3, but I'm not going too because it is still under warranty and because it is my main phone. I don't root devices unless I am done with them as my phone and have removed my SIM card. I suggest buying another device to root. I am currently looking at different Android phones and devices to root to see how V4A does.

But you know, I'm sounding like a fanboy of V4A and I've got to stop that. It's not all good. For example, V4A can't cure the common cold. It did turn my S2 into (dare I say it) an “audiophile device”. But, it didn't make my setup look prettier. Although, it does somehow seem more elegant. V4A does not make my truck get better fuel mileage. However, it does make me drive a little slower (and not in a rush) because I want to listen to my music more, so it may have a beneficial effect on fuel mileage.

Okay, I got a good criticism of V4A. It is a government plot to get a hacked application on our phones. We all saw how easy media members phones were hacked at Sochi hotels (during the Olympics). Did I say this was a “good criticism”, I meant paranoid tinfoil hat criticism. But as someone once said, "just because I'm paranoid does not mean they are not out to get me". I'll stop now.

Feb 10, 2014 at 7:54 AM Post #1,024 of 22,954
Russian intelligence may be responsible for the extensive hacking in Sochi (maybe due to the terrorism alerts). I gusess non-rooted phones are not an obstecle for them.

Nevertheless, you may try other equalizers for android (which do not require rooting). Some may be good.

Please check:
http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/4-equalizer-tools-to-get-the-best-out-of-your-android-audio/
http://www.androidauthority.com/the-10-best-equalizers-for-android-video-243010/
https://revision3.com/androidauthorityextras/10-best-equalizers-for-android

Feb 10, 2014 at 8:13 AM Post #1,025 of 22,954
@truckdriver, sounds like a good idea with another android phone. I wonder if a galaxy ace as I have one laying around for burning in my earphones.

BTW, just reserved my SE846 with a local store and will be picking them up in next 2 days. Cheers.

Feb 10, 2014 at 4:24 PM Post #1,026 of 22,954
I don't know anything about the Galaxy Ace, but V4A recommends (at least) a dual-core processor. It may work with a single core (I don't know). Why not give it a try? It's free. I'd turn almost everything else off and limit the background processes (in settings-- developer options—if available). My S2 is the T-Mobile Qualcomm processor variety (the only type that didn't suffer from that Exynos processor noise that others complained about here). To me, my S2 sounded about the same as the S4 I had for a month (that is, until I installed V4A).

With my old 846, I got a little frustrated with the mids and highs so I switched to the white and eventually the black filter. With the new 846, I don't feel the need to make a filter change. Add in V4A and I can dial up the treble, mids, bass, and adjust the soundstage. I really don't feel the need for a filter change now. I might get around to it one day anyway, because (you know) eventually you get use to any and everything. We are not here because we stay satisfied.

Feb 10, 2014 at 5:27 PM Post #1,027 of 22,954
Wow, the SE846 pairs wonderful with the iPod Nano 7G. Plenty of volume, plenty of dynamics and space. With my Sony PHA-1 it sound a *little* bit better, but it can also be my imagination.

I love these forums and I know I'm not very "hipster" when I say this: You don't need an external amp, external dac or fancy DAP to let the SE846 shine. A nice little player with a good output impedance should do the trick.

Feb 11, 2014 at 5:16 PM Post #1,029 of 22,954
  Hello I am wondering why some 846 comes with a big plastic case along with the smaller carrying case and other 846 comes in a card board box with only the small carrying case?

That's interesting because it should be both in the United States.  Mine came everything inside of a plastic case, which was packaged inside of an nice cardboard flip box (which was packaged inside of a thin cardboard package).  See Jude's first post in the thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/663180/shure-se846-a-new-in-ear-flagship-from-shure-finally-impressions-p26-28#post_9421127

However, I have seen the below packaging, but only internationally:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/663180/shure-se846-a-new-in-ear-flagship-from-shure-finally-impressions-p26-28/1995#post_9759958

Anyone have this second packaging in the United States?

Feb 11, 2014 at 5:30 PM Post #1,030 of 22,954
  Hello I am wondering why some 846 comes with a big plastic case along with the smaller carrying case and other 846 comes in a card board box with only the small carrying case?

I heard that in Asia you get the white packaging with just a basic zipper case.

Here in Canada, (and the USA for sure) you get a black packaging and the nice big clear case as well as the more portable hard zipper case.

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Feb 11, 2014 at 9:12 PM Post #1,032 of 22,954

I was wondering if the White Box was a better version or lower priced.

I`m hoping it`s a `better version` !  I got mine in Tokyo last autumn with the white box/no plastic case.  It could be a marketing strategy, and a good one, because those plastic cases, both the real Pelicans and knock offs, are super cheap here and frankly not at all impressive. . . 

Feb 11, 2014 at 9:14 PM Post #1,033 of 22,954

I read you not enjoying the 846? You going for another earphone?

I never claimed I'm not enjoying the SE846?

I sold them to fund JH Roxannes, and ended up getting IE800's while I wait for the Roxannes since they were delayed for a long period. I still think the SE846 is better than IE800.

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Feb 11, 2014 at 10:39 PM Post #1,034 of 22,954
  I heard that in Asia you get the white packaging with just a basic zipper case.

Here in Canada, (and the USA for sure) you get a black packaging and the nice big clear case as well as the more portable hard zipper case.

That sounds correct, as I bought my pair in the Hong Kong airport when headed back to the states... and mine only came with the zippered case.

Feb 11, 2014 at 10:54 PM Post #1,035 of 22,954
  What are your likes and dislikes of the 846? One main like for me is it being a universal earphone with so much sound going for it. Only a custom made one can compete with it in all around sound.

I'd say that's it in a nutshell. The level of sound quality is pretty amazing, especially for a universal. My favorite thing about the sound though has to be the bass. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back